Unable to connect to localhost:8888 when starting MAMP

Unable to connect to localhost:8888 when starting MAMP

by John Lawrence -
Number of replies: 1
Dear Moodle folks,

I am a complete novice who uses Moodle for a post-secondary course.  While the course is running (sometimes annually, sometimes bi-annually) the Moodle course that I am using is set-up by qualified IT staff at my local University.  I do, however, like to pre-plan the material that I will be using during the course on my own computer and ,in previous years, I was able to use the Installation pkg for Moodle (MacOS) with no difficulty.  Presently, I am not able to install the software and initiate the appropriate connections.  I reiterate that I am not programming or server savvy, and I am wondering if someone could help me get started.

Computer:  MacBook Air 2020  1.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7  16GB RAM
MacOS:  Ventura 13.3.1
Firefox:  112.0.2
This is a clean install using the Moodle Installer Package for Mac OS X

I have successfully copied the MAMP folder containing Moodle to my applications folder.  When I attempt to open MAMP, I receive the following error:

>Unable to connect

>An error occurred during a connection to localhost:8888.

> The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
   > If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
   > If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the web.

Does anyone have any guidance or must I wait until it is set-up on my institution's server in mid -July?

Thank-you in advance.

John Lawrence MMT, MTA
Certified Music Therapist

Average of ratings: -