IONOS Error Installing Moodle. CFG->dataroot is not configured properl

IONOS Error Installing Moodle. CFG->dataroot is not configured properl

by Stephane Noreau -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Moodle team,

I have been trying to install Moodle on IONOS Webhosting and I am getting the following error.

Fatal error: $CFG->dataroot is not configured properly, directory does not exist or is not accessible! Exiting.

I found many discussions about this issue, but I can seem to find the proper path for moodledata and moodle folder.

I notice many install this on Windows or OS but I could not find any install instructions for WebBase installation.

I currently uploaded to this Path:   /moodle  Permission 777

My config file is located here Path:   /moodle/config.php Permission 755 but I did try 777 also

My moodledata path is Path:   /moodledata Permission 777

I created. A PHP version 8.0 for moodle.wiki-training.com subdomain.

I also created my database MySQL 8.0 for moodle

My CFG file Database info.

$CFG->dbtype    = 'mysqli';      // 'pgsql', 'mariadb', 'mysqli', 'auroramysql', 'sqlsrv' or 'oci'

$CFG->dblibrary = 'native';     // 'native' only at the moment

$CFG->dbhost    = 'db5012694859.hosting-data.io';  // eg 'localhost' or 'db.isp.com' or IP

$CFG->dbname    = '***********';     // database name, eg moodle

$CFG->dbuser    = '*********';   // your database username

$CFG->dbpass    = '**********';   // your database password

$CFG->prefix    = 'mdl_';       // prefix to use for all table names

Wwwroot:   $CFG->wwwroot   = '/moodle';

Dataroot:  $CFG->dataroot  = '/moodledata';

Shouldn’t this be 777 and not 02777 $CFG->directorypermissions = 02777;

Any help would be appreciated or if you can point me in the right direction.

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephane Noreau

Re: IONOS Error Installing Moodle. CFG->dataroot is not configured properl

by Stephane Noreau -
Ok I finally was rushing for nothing IONOS no longer supports Moodle with the Web Hosting package. They are upselling users to Cloud Server for additional cost and they are not even certain this will work. Sorry for bothering you with this.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stephane Noreau

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Stephane,
I do have three Moodle sites running on IONOS, but they have been there for years, one long enough ago that they were then known as 1and1, instead of IONOS. The only way to get a Moodle site to work there, is to use a much older version, as the newer versions of Moodle will not let you install with the moodledata folder where you have to place it.

I've been dreading having to move due to all the archived emails I have there. Right at the moment I am planning to try moving to one of their VPS offerings, as my Moodle sites on there are for development only, or for demo's of the plugins I maintain so the limited CPU's and storage space of their cheaper VPS's is no problem for me. Unfortunately, the demo site is running Moodle 3.11.3+, and I am really hesitant to try and upgrade to 4.0. 4.1 or 4.2. I am behind in migrating a copy and getting it running elsewhere, but need to do it soon and their pricing for a VPS of the size I need, looks good. I've also thought about going VPS with the same people Rick Jerz uses as he has been with them for a good amount of time and seems to be happy with them. Rick is also generous with his time in answering pleas for help. 😀
In reply to AL Rachels

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I too don't think popular mass hosting providers actively not support Moodle. Moodle is a web application on the LAMP platform, that is what the mass hosting is about. Well Moodle has a few oddities like the moodledata or the cron.php or the help of a SMTP server. You need a better understanding of the hosting platform to find these things.

The disadvantage all the mass (shared) hostings have is that their platforms are unique, meaning you have to learn a separate thing. That is one of the main reasons why a "native" host like a VPS is the professional solution. Their interface is the standard Unix/Linux shell.