"OWL" & "printer-priendly & pdf generated pages"

"OWL" & "printer-priendly & pdf generated pages"

by W Page -
Number of replies: 2

Hello Martin and Everyone else!!

I contacted "OWL" about  - printer-priendly & pdf generated pages.  Their response was positive.

I was asked to place the issue into the RFE file at SourceForge "with as much detail on how you want this functionality to operate". 

I would really appreciate as much input from Moodlers as possible.so I can make the  detail as complete and descriptive as possible.  Also, any links to coding which could be used in this endevor would be helpful.

Please see the initial thread I began about this issue here

I hope this will be helpful in your desire to incorporate a conprehensive DMS in MOODLE.

WP1

Average of ratings: -
In reply to W Page

Re: "OWL" & "printer-priendly & pdf generated pages"

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Resources like this that appear in a frame are easy to print already, you just select the frame and then choose "Print" in your browser. 

You can also print to PDF very easily using free products like PDFCreator.

So I'm having trouble seeing the need for anything special... Perhaps you could start with explaining why you need PDF format?   You probably have a scenario in mind that I can't see ...

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: "OWL" & "printer-priendly & pdf generated pages"

by Ger Tielemans -

If you create a pdf, then students can download it and using it offline in an eReader: there they can set bookmarks and paste yellow comments on pages. like you do in a study book

This way they can build an off-line library of eBooks

We use PDFcreator but it has two disadvantages if you compare it with Acrobat:

• compression is less high (about 40%)
  • and you (I blozend ) cannot create TOCs with it.

But it is free, so you can also give it to all your students: bring in homework, pasting comments on it without changing the document like you do in Word and give it back:
The student - not you as assistent teacher for example - changes then his original Word and does a resent.

You can even create questions or active schemes in Acrobat but I hope SVG will help us with that.

I am still looking for a free PDF-webserver where you can share bookmarks and notes with others: there are already commercial workflow PDFservers)