How to use parameters to open a protected pdf

How to use parameters to open a protected pdf

by Peter Ward -
Number of replies: 1

Moodle 1.4.3

I want to prevent a pdf document from being saved out of moodle and then re-used by a third party.

I think that I can do this by:

1. Give the moodle course an id e.g abc123 in the course settings.

2. create the pdf document with security that requires a password to open the document. (+ password for change security options once opened). The password used should be identical to the course id e.g. abc123

2. upload the pdf to the moodle site.

3. Create a moodle link to the pdf and use the parameter 'id', giving it the variable name 'password'

Then when the user selects the pdf link, the course id will be passed to the pdf document that will request the opening password and the pdf will open.

If the user then copied the file locally they could not open it because they would be unaware of the course id - which is never revealed by moodle.

The above method fails however. Maybe I'm not giving the id the correct variable? Or is it that I need to do something else?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Ward

Re: How to use parameters to open a protected pdf

by Gary Barclay -

Hi,

I am looking to execute this in Moodle 1.9 but not having any joy. Would do I type as the parameter name to pass the Course-ID into the pdf as the Document Open Password. Reading the moodle docs it appears that the parameters are used to pass info into URL's only. Is this the case?

Any help from anyone would be appreciated?

Or suggestions on another soloution to protect my pdf files from being downloaded and saved by users.

Thanks,

Gary