Recommended setup for maxima - goemaxima or maximapool?

Re: Recommended setup for maxima - v5.41.0 or v5.44.0 (with goemaxima)

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
A meta-answer to a lot of this is (which you have probably seen me say before):

STACK lets you add 'Question tests' to your questions. (Bascially, "Suppose the student intpus this, they should get that mark".) These are the key to being able to update STACK with confidence. If you have tests, you can then make whatever change you want (new STACK version, new Maxima version, goemaxima vs maximapool) on a test server with a copy of all your questions, then use the scripts provided to run all the tests on all the questions. That is really the only way to answer your question.

Wanting to stick to the version of Maxima that all our questions were written with (5.41.0) is why we decided to build the docker container ourselves. We will have to upgrade one day, but we will pick our moment for when we do that, and all the testing and question-fixing that might entail.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Stuart Anderson -
Thank you Tim.

RE: "Wanting to stick to the version of Maxima that all our questions were written with (5.41.0) is why we decided to build the docker container ourselves. We will have to upgrade one day, but we will pick our moment for when we do that, and all the testing and question-fixing that might entail."

As I've got my head into the Docker scripts today it's starting to make a lot more sense and isn't overly complicated (famous last words). I agree, I'm tempted not to rock the boat with too much change and sticking with 5.41 will make sense to begin with. It will also force me to engage with Docker more seriously from the off.

Cheers,
Stuart
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Stuart Anderson -
Quick Friday followup to my goemaxima efforts. I've been slightly putting off looking at it, but have bit the bullet on it this afternoon.

I'm left slightly stunned about how easy that was to get up and running. Other than a minor problem with not having my IP address mapped to a domain address (our problem and I'll request this from our server team), goemaxima setup just worked first time. The STACK health script suggests goemaxima is running faster than with my MaximaPool server, though I'll request some performance testing support to get some proper numbers out of it.

I was expecting a significantly amount of disappointment and frustration. Hopefully there will continue to be little of that ahead.

Thanks again for your advice.

--Stuart
Average of ratings: Useful (1)