Multiple group assignments with different roles in each: possible?

Multiple group assignments with different roles in each: possible?

by Melanie Scott -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think the answer is no, unfortunately. Here's my use case:

I have a course hundreds of people are taking every year, each for different reasons, usually because I or someone in my agency requires the completion. Usually the only groups are internal for me (or the people who requires those people to complete).

For example: anyone who works on project A has to complete. Anyone certified in project B has to complete. Completers in Project A and Project B can work for the same school district, university or company, so you might be in Group A and Group B or just A or B.

But things have changed.

Now, some of our school districts are requiring all their staff to complete this course and would like a way to see their staff have completed outside of asking me (which is a rabbit hole I would also prefer to avoid). Easy, I add all of them to a new group (call it group C) and give someone non-editing teacher permission (tech director/superintendent, etc). Except sometimes that person also completes because they are a member of Group A or B. The new permission allows them to see everyone in their district group AND the other group(s) they are part of. Which is no bueno. Is there a way to assign a permission in the group not in the course? or a way to link the group to the permission? I think there isn't but I'm hoping someone has found a workaround.

The only solution I can think of is to assign groupings (can you filter activities/completions by groupings?) but for this case, it would be super manual and I don't love that.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melanie Scott

Re: Multiple group assignments with different roles in each: possible?

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hmm... interesting take, this one...

You know every user in Moodle starts out as being an 'authenticated user' after logging in, and their role assignments normally only come into play once they're enrolled in a course (as a participant or instructor)?

The double roles (manager at category or course level, while also being a participant) have a few challenges:
the highest permission level determines what they see and are able to do (like altering results or checking for the correct answer in a quiz)
generally, people forget to switch roles to the student/participant one before starting a course

The only reason in your case for having a double role, is that some of those people should also be able to see a group level report after completing the course? The easiest way to get that bit done, would be to require them to use two accounts (e.g. john.student@email.example and john.supervisor@email.example). The latter user account would then be assigned the reporting role.

If you only want people to see their own group(s) in the reports, duplicate a non-editing teacher role (and rename), then disable the 'accessallgroups' permission. That way they only have access to the groups they should see.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

Re: Multiple group assignments with different roles in each: possible?

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
My non-editing don't have all group access but the issue is they are in a group for me to track (everyone who takes the course because of X) and a group so they can track their employees (because they require their staff to complete for totally different reasons). I want them to access their group but not mine. I don't think I get what I want. And yes, multiple roles causes complications...