AWS hosting suggestions?

AWS hosting suggestions?

by Jack Crouse -
Number of replies: 2
The company I work for is looking to create a Moodle site for customer training. We're most likely going to use AWS to host the site in the cloud. The IT team has questions about the server specs needed to run our Moodle site without performance issues. The site will likely grow to multiple thousands of user accounts. I don't expect that a large proportion of users will ever be loading content from the database all at the same time, but I figure that there could still be, let's say, a couple hundred users loading content at once. The files that users will be accessing are SCORM packages of about 60MB each. The IT team is uncertain about things like the number of CPU cores, the processor speed, and the amount of RAM we should use. Would anyone else who has similarly hosted a Moodle site be willing to share details about their server specs? I can provide more info about the goals of our site if needed.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jack Crouse

Re: AWS hosting suggestions?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is a complicated area, but perfectly possible to make it work. A lot of Moodle sites are hosted on AWS (including ours - but I don't know the details you are asking for).

If you have the budget, try consuting a Moodle partner (e.g. Catlyst IT) who have a lot of experience advising people about things like this.

Also, it is relatively quick to get a Moodle install basically working on AWS, then test it for thins like performance, then tweak the settings. If you can automate the deployment (e.g. specify the whole AWS setup in Cloud formation templates) then it is relatively quick and easy to try out different options, and optimise for best performance at lowest cost.

As well as the things you mention, the key things are likely to be performance of the shared filesystem and database. Also it is very important to set up Moodle caching well - which basically means use Redis.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)