Top five

Top five

by Enrique Borja Mantecón Crespo -
Number of replies: 10

Hi, I would like to know the list of the most used LMS, for example the 5 most important. Of course, Moodle and Blackboard/WebCT are in the list but the other 3, I don't know, perhaps Sakai or Claroline but also is important the order.

Thank you very much, and the winers are...  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Enrique Borja Mantecón Crespo

Re: Top five

by Michael Penney -
Desire2Learn getting to be big in the US.

And Angel is catching up fast as a low cost "enterprise" LMS (esp. since US Moodle Partners are so fewsad.

In my opinion, both are underselling their marketing costs, and are eagerly pursuing mindshare/marketshare with cut rate costs which will need to either rise or be upsold for long term viability.

e-Portfolio features are also becoming very important here due to changes in accreditation, and some of the e-Portfolio vendors are now offering LMS features (such as quizzes and assignments) in an attempt to provide a single solution.
In reply to Michael Penney

Hello and thank you for your answer, when I read about LMS I have many problems to understand the real situation. And I belived that other open source softwares were in the list, really moodle is the only one sorpresa.

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
For *open source* LMS (based on php/mysql), go to the Open Source CMS site for ratings and you can see the top five. It does not have a good feature comparison chart like EduTools, but it does feature *installed*, working demos where you can log in as an admin.
  1. Moodle
  2. A-Tutor
  3. Dokeos
  4. Site@School
  5. Interact
Claroline is in the queue to be listed. .LRN is also not there, except that it may not be php/mysql. Go here to make your own rating of Moodle.

In reply to Don Hinkelman

by D.I. von Briesen -
Don:

This site is the bomb!! just another example of the power of this community!!

I have a small favor to ask of you- can you compile all the useful information on this site in a nice summary form, zip it and put it into a gel-cap I can swallow?

That'd be awesome!! tongueoutevilcool

While I'm waiting for the package with my gel-cap, I'll be trying to figure out why docuwiki is su popular - whereas I thought mediawiki would have the best ratings and higher number....

Moodle-on!

d.i.

PS: I think we need a moodle war-cry... our cry for the rowing team was "never row" ...

so just for fun:

"MO MOODLE!!"
"MOO MOODLE!!"
"MOODLE MORE!!"
"MA MA MA MA MY MOODLE!"
"AHHHHHHghgghhGgh!!!" (SAID WHILE JUMPING OUT INTO THE HALLWAY LATE AT NIGHT WITH NO SHOES ON IN AN m&m** INSPIRED FRENZY)

** i HAVE AN m&m DISPENSER ON MY DESK...

pps: i CAN'T FIND A PICTURE OF MY DISPENSER, SO HERE'S SOMETHING ELSE JUST FOR FUN.

Would you believe I had this picture as my icon for a year or two and people thought it was really me... they came into the office and were surprised by the way I looked...

Attachment OsamaBinBush.jpg
In reply to D.I. von Briesen

Thanks for your answers. The links and information are very useful. The lists change too much  confuso, I think that the diferents lists have diferents focus. I would like to see a list with open source and commercial together, I am sure that moodle would be fighting for the first position (probably would win sonrisa but in universities the battle moodle vs blackboard/webct would be hard) .

Thank you again

by Michael Penney -
In my expert evaluation, Blackboard has nothing that can match DI and his M&Ms.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Julian Ridden -
More importantly, I am a little concerened at just what may be in those M&M's big grin
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Michael Penney -
I think it is mainly enthusiasm, presentation skill, and experience.

With chocolate and sugar, which probably have underrated effects on an audience's perception.