Moodle, PeopleSoft and Automated Enrollment

Moodle, PeopleSoft and Automated Enrollment

by Devin Monroe -
Number of replies: 6

Hey Everyone,

I am posting this on behalf of my whole team.

We are looking at the best way to integrate/connect Moodle with PeopleSoft. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best approach? Specifically is it possible to have enrolment and course creation automated so when it happens in PeopleSoft it can be automatically reflected in Moodle or vice-a-versa?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Devin Monroe

Re: Moodle, PeopleSoft and Automated Enrollment

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Devin

The simple answer is yes - but it will very much depend on what you want to achieve. Is it creating people in Moodle and enrolling them into courses based on criteria in PeopleSoft? Is it a one way conversation from PeopleSoft to Moodle or will you be wanting information like course completion pushed back from Moodle to PeopleSoft?

Moodle can handle both authentication and enrolment from an external database out of the box, and PeopleSoft usually runs on a Microsoft SQL database so that should be relatively straightforward.

Both systems also have a decent API so you could do something better with custom development if needed.

Have a look at https://docs.moodle.org/401/en/External_database_authentication and https://docs.moodle.org/401/en/External_database_enrolment

And the API documentation might be useful - https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Web_service_API_functions and for PeopleSoft, https://docs.oracle.com/cd/F58024_01/hcm92pbr43/eng/hcm/ecch/UnderstandingRestApiEndpointsForPeoplesoftSkills.html
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Devin Monroe -
Thank you Jon,

This is very helpful, we will look into these resources. Ideally we want two way communication and I think you have given us a good start for the where to look to set something like that up. I was searching for the PeopleSoft info yesterday and didn't find this thank you!
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
little bit late - but just adding a +1 to the database enrolment/auth methods - I've worked on a few different Peoplesoft/Moodle implementations (I even have a few old Oracle Peoplesoft certifications which I never really used....) and they have all used some form of database style process for enrolment - the hardest part is usually getting the unique identifiers in both places to match... a "Course" in Moodle doesn't always cleanly match to the course offering in Peoplesoft. Sometimes you have multiple offerings in Peoplesoft all linked to the same Moodle course, or you might run into issues where a course instance in Moodle is re-used every year and "reset" at the end of the year, or when a teacher decides/wants to extend access to the moodle course past the end date listed in peoplesoft for various reasons.

There are a few different ways to address this, usually involving some form of staging table that you generate from peoplesoft in a way that Moodle can read and ingest via the external database enrolment method, but another method that I've found that works well is using our cohort database plugin:
https://moodle.org/plugins/tool_cohortdatabase
You create a staging table that lists all course offerings and user enrolments against those offerings, which then creates site-level "groups/cohorts" in Moodle which teachers/admin staff can then assign to Moodle courses. It is another manual step (linking a Moodle course to a "cohort" using the cohort sync enrolment method, but it allows for a better control inside Moodle. - eg when a course date gets extended by a teacher (covid/other reasons) or when you want to retain user access to the course even when enrolment has ended - eg allowing a student to access the course they did last year so they can review the course content/material)

hope that's useful - good luck!
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Devin Monroe -
Hi Dan,

Not late at all, we are at the research stage of the project and just gathering information about what is available already with Moodle as is before we begin building anything new.

I have saved this post and we will be using the information here when we start planning the project.

thank you so much for your response! smile
In reply to Devin Monroe

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hello Devin,

I am currently working on an integration of Moodle Workplace with another human resource application. Moodle Workplace is a Moodle product aimed at the corporate market and available only through certain Moodle Partners. The MW team may be very interested in working with you if that is your market.

Moodle also supports LTI. Depending on the PeopleSoft produce you may be able to access courses and grades through that.
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Devin Monroe -
Hi Daniel,

Thank you so much for responding. That's not our market but thank you so much for bringing this to my attention.