Cron: once more

Cron: once more

by Hans de Zwart -
Number of replies: 23
My hosting provider does not like me using a cron job on my Moodle installation. They do not allow cron jobs on their server (so wouldn't set it for me), so for the last couple of months another server has been doing requests for cron.php and sending me an e-mail of the results.

My hosting provider never really noticed this until cron.php couldn't be accessed for a couple of hours and the e-mails of this problem clogged up the mail queue on the server.

I got a call telling me to turn it off. So i did.

Then I started thinking. They really cannot stop me from accessing cron.php from a different server. I know they will be watching. Is it feasible just for me to change the name of cron.php to for example "commit.php". This wouldn't put them on such an easy trail.

Would this create problems?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hans de Zwart

Re: Cron: once more

by Rob Hillis -
Sounds almost like you need a less nazi-ish hosting provider.  There are a number of providers floating around that will allow you to run things as they are supposed to be.

Additionally, you could quite happily host Moodle yourself.  Once you get it set up, it's damned near self-maintaining.  I've only had to log on to the Moodle server at work when I need to do software upgrades.
In reply to Rob Hillis

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
A non-nazi provider I found is Netmondo.com. Not only do they allow cron jobs, but they have an auto-installer for Moodle 1.2 called Fantastico. I set up Moodle in less than ten minutes. I have also set up Moodle on my own server, but it took about 10 hours or so over a week to modify various server settings. By the way, netmondo with cPanel Lite costs me USD$24 per year including new domain name, 500 Mb space and tons more. That is **per year**. Of course, for better service, use Moodle.com
Don
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Hans de Zwart -
Thank you for that info. Yes, I do find my webhost a bit nazi-ish as you say. I will look into finding a new provider and will definitely write about my experiences.
Is there a forum or thread for the hosting discussion? Maybe a place where hosting providers can advertise themselves?

Ah, I see.

The forum is called servers and performance....

First use brain, then write.

Thank God (ehm I mean, Martin) for that edit button on written posts.

by Jacob Romeyn -
Hi Don
I have installed  three Moodle installation using Fantastico. Very simple install,  but,  Netmodo is the site were I can not get the HTML editor to work. Does your HTML editor work?

In reply to Jacob Romeyn

by Don Hinkelman -
No, my HTML editor doesn't work. But I assumed that was because I use a Safari browser, which doesn't let an HTML editor work anyway. I wonder why it doesn't work. Did you try netmondo support? I always got responses faster than the 24 hour limit they promised.
In reply to Jacob Romeyn

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Jacob, and I see that you have found the problem already...

> Well, it's working. 

> The problems are as follows:
> The version which Fantastico installs does not allow the HTML editor to work.
> However, I had already upgraded with a later version. When I also installed
> the Database Manager I got an error:  line 165 in the config.php.
> There were extra spaces behind the last  tag: ?>

> After I removed this the HTML editor also worked.
> Automatic installs sometimes make it difficult to see these problems.

So do I have to fix Fantastico-installed moodles like you did?
Do I just remove all spaces behind the last "?>" tag? In the moodle config.php file?
How do I upgrade these auto-installed moodles?
How often are the Fantastico versions upgraded?
I think I am starting a new topic... smile Don

HTML editor or NetMondo

by Joseph Vargas -

I am having a problem with getting the HTML editor to work on NetoMondo also.

I installed the latest Moodle, but no luck.

I checked config.php and there are no additional spaces at the end.

Is there anything else that needs to be done to get HTML editor to work?

In reply to Joseph Vargas

Re: HTML editor or NetMondo

by Tom Murdock -
Have you tried with a couple of different browsers? Which browser do you use?
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Joseph Vargas -

I am using internet explorer 6.

I have moodle on a different server and HTML editor works fine.

by Tom Murdock -
Please excuse this question from a simple mind. Have you checked your main configuration variables and your profile variables to see if the HTML is allowed?
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Joseph Vargas -

Thanks for everyones help.

Suddenly my problem is gone. Everything is working well

I wish I knew why I inititally had a problem though

In reply to Tom Murdock

by jared palfrey -
How would one check these Variables?? I can't get into editing in moodle when going to an assignment.

In reply to Tom Murdock

by Don Hinkelman -
I just installed new Mozilla 1.6 (Mac OS 10.3) but HTML editor does not work. I am using a Netmondo server with unaltered Moodle 1.2 (2003091800 version). The HTML editor, however, does work on my Mozilla when I access the moodle.org server which uses Moodle 1.2 (2004010900 version).

by Tom Murdock -
Don, A lot could have changed in that particular code between 9/18/03 and 1/9/04 in the dev code. Here is a list of changes from the sourceforge archives. For what it is worth, I have a 11/14/03 version and Firebird loads the editor. Good luck! smile

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

Moodle versions prior to late October or early November used an entirely different HTML editor which only worked with Internet Explorer (it used ActiveX controls).

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Bryan Williams -
Thanks Zbigniew, this solved my confusion.  Will install a later version of Moodle today! 

by Art Lader -
I don't know what the solution to your probelm is (over my head, I'm afraid, but I do have good news for you; I have a Moodle set up at Netmondo and the WYSIWIG editor works.

So don't give up! smile

Regards,
Art Lader
Aiken high School
http://ahshornets.moodle.com/

by Joseph Vargas -

Hi Don:

I opened an account with NetMondo, but am having a problem.  I wonder if you could help.

I have copied a moodle installation that is working from another server, created a new mysql database and updated config.php to reflect the new server parameters.

Problem is that when I access www.myserver.com/moodle I get a HTTP 404 error

When I access www.myserver.com/moodle/config.php the same thing happens.

I have confirmed that the file is there.

Thanks for any help you can offer

by Don Hinkelman -
Sorry, this is beyond me mixed
Did you try netmondo support? They were very good for me. I usually got responses in hours not days. Even if you think this is not a netmondo problem, I think they will try to help. Pretty nice people in my experience. (be sure to tell them you are a school or a teacher, too).
In reply to Hans de Zwart

by Michael Koch -

My solution for a server at a provider without cron:

Pseudo-Cron:

A additional php.script will ist linked with a blank-gif at a page frequently used.

This script will check, how time is gone since the last job. If the cron time is over, the the job will be activated.

If nobody visted my site, no job will activate. Clear! Nothing is to do.

See also:http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=4507

I will post the script in the next days. It can be a standard solution (add-on) for moodle-user without cron. (??)

It works well for over one year!

The link to the page of the developer
.http://www.bitfolge.de/index.php?l=en&s=pseudocron&style=summer

Michael

In reply to Michael Koch

Ang: Re: Cron: once more

by Britt Malka -
I also use Pseudo-cron. It works perfectly for some other things I've been using it for, but I cannot make it work with Moodle.

Could you please tell me the line to put in crontab.txt?

I've tried:
*/5  *    *    *    *  /admin/cron.php
and
*/5  *    *    *    *  wget -q -O /dev/null      /admin/cron.php

and even with the full path in both cases, but nothing seems to work.

--
Kind regards
Britt Malka