Comparison of Adaptive vs deferred feedback analytics

Comparison of Adaptive vs deferred feedback analytics

by Gareth Arnott -
Number of replies: 1

Hello Moodle community,

I have been trialing the adaptive mode in quizzes in my large 1st year course. I would like to have some sort of comparison of how this has benefitted students, but what I thought I could do is not working. My thinking was to look at the quiz statistics and calculate on first attempt or first try, vs last attempt/last try, but this makes no difference. I then tried changing the quiz to 'deferred' feedback and regrading, but htis made no change.

Is there a way to do this?

kind regards

Gareth

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth Arnott

Re: Comparison of Adaptive vs deferred feedback analytics

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Gareth,

Answers on a first try in adaptive mode and answers in deferred feedback mode shouldn't differ much, in principle, since it's a first try and a single try, which is about the same.

Obviously, answers on the last try in adaptive mode should normally be better than on the first try or in deferred feedback mode.

In general, the adaptive mode would be more appropriate for formative assessments, while the deferred feedback mode would be more appropriate for summative assessments.

Personally, I use the adaptive mode even for summative assessments because I consider that it is of little use for students to be blocked without having any clues, and without having one or more attempts to answer questions. Indeed, in my view, the primary purpose of quizzes, both formative and summative, is for students to learn about a topic.

The summative aspect is well taken into account in adaptive mode thanks to the penalties for each try. Better students get more points for answering questions correctly on the first try, while weaker students lose points for answering correctly only on the second or more tries, or for not getting the correct answer even after the number of tries allowed.

So, unless I want to do a very strict summative evaluation, which I don't necessarily see the benefit for the students, I don't use the deferred feedback mode. There are obviously a multitude of cases other than mine where the deferred feedback mode is useful.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)