New version of the Detailed responses report plugin for Moodle 1.6 beta

New version of the Detailed responses report plugin for Moodle 1.6 beta

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Number of replies: 65
Hello,
Thanks to Gustav's work, quiz reports are now real plugins.
I have updated the Detailed responses report plugin.
You can download it here : http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=96
Please, as SourceForge CVS is curently broken , don't use the "Browse CVS" link or you will get a very outdated version, use the "Download" link to get the latest version.
The install procedure is very simple, just upload the files on your server. No existing files are overwritten (unless you have a previous version of the report installed). No database change, no table added, no need to visit Administration.
A new tab will appear right to the Overview, regrade, Manual grading and Item Analysis tabs.
The plugin include a style.css file you can edit to suit your needs.
For the moodle users unfamiliar with this report, it display all your students responses to all questions in the quiz in a big (paginated) table.
You can download the data as an Excel or Text document.
For Moodle users unfamiliar with the detailed responses report plugin, I include a screenshot.

Attachment detailed_responses.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

Re: New version of the Detailed responses report plugin for Moodle 1.6 beta

by Dennis Daniels -
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Quiz_report_Detailed_responses

I just downloaded and unzipped and I'm getting a permission
Module "quiz_report_responses" is not readable - check permissions

I ck'd the perms and everything has read/write... What am I doing wrong?

Just got the latest cvs and plugin...

All help appreciated!

Dennis

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Salut Jean-Michel,
I've just downloaded and tested your latest Detailed responses plugin. It works great except for Excel and Text Download, where I get error messages like:
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at (localhost)\moodle\lang\en_utf8\qtype_regexp.php:1) in (localhost)\moodle\mod\quiz\report\responses\report.php on line 160
etc.
I am using Moodle 1.6 beta 4, version file dated 29 april 2006. Maybe I should update to a more recent version ?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
I made some changes in the last days because I wanted to fix the problem with sorting on #question columns not working, so maybe I left the CVS in an unstable state. But .xls and .txt exports are working here (I just checked after your mail) so I will upload a new version.

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hei Jean Michel
I am not able to let your your plug in work properly.
I installed it  then I went to fill a quiz as a student and, at the end, I reached the quiz as admin.
Your new tab shows correctly the student's answers with the right color.

Now I select a different tab, like "Regrade" or "Manual grading", and then I return back to your "Detailed responses" tab.
No detailed responses are shown any more.

Is it my foult?
In reply to Daniele Cordella

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Hello Daniele,
I am trying to reproduce your problem with no success until now.
Are you using Moodle 1.5x or 1.6 ?
I will delete my 1.6b5 test site and create a final 1.6 test site in the next days and I will test again with this new setup.

by Daniele Cordella -
I am using a fresh installation of Moodle 1.6 final witout modification. Only my theme and few blocks.

by Daniele Cordella -
I reproduced the error and I made a movie to let you understand the problem in detail. It seems that the error is introduced by "Regrade" and "Manual grading" tabs.
Have a look please. Maybe this is an issue for Gustav Delius.
I used a fresh 1.6 final with my own theme and without any additional block.
The movie is in quickTime

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Hello Daniele,
Your movie and bug 5989 are very clear: the problem is not in the detailed responses report but in the regrade code.
I have now no problem to reproduce this problem with a fresh Moodle 1.6 install on my test server. This server is using PHP 5.1.2
Are you also using a server with PHP 5 ?
Can somebody else having Moodle 1.6 (final version) installed on a test server running PHP 4.3 do some test for me ?
- create a new quiz
- add a short answer question
- add some attempts
- verify that the responses are there (you don't need to have the detailed responses report installed: just go to the overview report and click on some attempts date/time, you should see the responses in the preview window)
- regrade the quiz
- return to the overview report and test if the responses of the atempts are still there.
As soon as I have your answer I will post a warning about no using the regrade function until the problem is solved because I think (I am in fact sure for PHP 5) it delete data !!!

by Daniele Cordella -
> Are you also using a server with PHP 5 ?
No, I am using 4.3.18 (if I rightly remember, I am not in front of my server now)

Thank you for your investigation. It was a huge problem for me and for all Moodle users, I believe.

Regrading/etc ironed out?

by Nilauro Markus -
Hi, I'm about to install this plugin, and want to know if these regrading, etc issues have been ironed out yet or not.
If there are specific requirements for this plugin to work (Moodle v1.6, PHP/MySQL versions, or anything else), I'd also appreciate those being spelled out for me, so I don't mess things up or lose data.
Thanks,
Nilauro
In reply to Nilauro Markus

Re: Regrading/etc ironed out?

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
I am quite sure that
  • This plugin can't cause any data loss because it doesn't write anything in the database
  • The problem in the past was with the regrade code and was not in any way related to the fact that the detailed responses plugin was installed or not : you could loose your students responses doing a regrade without this plugin installed
  • The only link between the regrade problem and the detailed responses report is that I was the reporter of the bugs and the maintainer of the report clin d’oeil
  • All the bugs I reported with the regrade code some months ago have been fixed both in the 1.6 and 1.7 Moodle branchs
  • I do have the detailed responses report plugin installed on my production server (1.6.2+) and had'nt any regrade issues for weeks or even months
  • there are still some Moodle users that install very outdated versions (1.6 !!!) and complain about bugs already fixed for ages !!! If you want to go with the 1.6 branch the good choice is 1.6.3+ no other alternative in my opinion.
  • There is no special requirement for this plugin. The version you can download on the Moodle site is for Moodle 1.6x but I can send you a 1.5x version if you want.
  • It should work wil any PHP or MySQL versions that Moodle can work with.

by Bent Laursen -

I have downloaded the Detailed responses zip file from the moodle link and tried to install it in moodle 1.7+.

I get an error saying that quiz_report_responses is not readable, check permissions (they have been checked!) And when continue, I get a new error sayung that pathtomod\quiz_report_responses\version.php is not readable.

The latter I understand, since there is no such file in the distribution.

Moodle runs in a win2003 server with Apache 2.2.4 and MySql 5.0. PHP is 5.2.0 and the site also runs eAccelerator 0.9.5.

My moodle site is an important tool in my teaching and it would be even more so if I could get the detailed reports up an running.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.

In reply to Bent Laursen

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Please, check that you have installed the report files in the right place. Most probably given the error messages you have uploaded the files in a wrong place.
In reply to Bent Laursen

by Bent Laursen -

As i detailed in my post, the err message states the path to be:

\mod\quiz_report_responses\

If this is the wrong place to put the files, then please tell me where to place them.

I also see that the same question was asked in May 2006 - but never answered.

Best regards

In reply to Bent Laursen

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Well, I re-downloaded the package from the "Modules and plugins" section of moodle.org just to be sure and the structure of the zip archive is correct.
The report.php file should be in mod/quiz/report/responses
If it is not you did something wrong during file upload.
Maybe the readme.txt file is unclear ? Don't forget english isn't my primary language grand sourire
You should have uploaded the lang and mod directories not the quiz_report_response one.
Hope you will appreciate the responses report when it wil be correctly installed.

by Bent Laursen -

Dear Jean-Michel

Thank you for your reply. The plugin now works fine and it will  really help me in my teaching - so thank you also for the fine job you're doing.

I use Excel 2003 and the downloaded reports don't open correctly; no big problem, however, if I download the text-version and open this file in Excel everything works fine.

Greetings from Denmark!

In reply to Bent Laursen

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Hello,
I am very happy that the responses report helps you.
Your problem with Excel download is unfortunately not limitated to the detailed responses reports but also appear with overview reports and with gradebook and any other place the excellib is used
But the good news is that it is fixed in Moodle 1.8, thanks to Petr Škoda.
As I needed it, I have backported the fix to Excel library wich is now in CVS in the Moodle 1.8 branch to the 1.7 branch.
To fix the problem,
1) download and uzip the excellib.zip file attached to this message
2) copy the included excellib.class.php file to your Moodle server in thel lib/ directory, replacing the existing file.

3) Add the line:
$CFG->excelisofiles = true;
to your root config.php file

Please note that this is only for Moodle 1.7x.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is a bit of a general observation...

This plugin is great for getting data about individual students, the excel download particularly so. However, it would be very useful to be able to provide additional data about the student. In our case, for example, we would really like the "ID Number" to be in the download as this is how we recognise students. In large classes there may be duplication of names or the student may have changed their name to "Mickey Mouse" or similar (yes, it happens).

I guess it would be very easy for me to produce a modified version for my purposes, I'm just thinking aloud really wondering if their is a more general solution thoughtful

EDIT:
Actually, should the Excel download not more or less match the format of the Gradebook Excel format in this respect?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Oh yes Howard, You are absolutely right,
I wanted to modify the download to include a lot more information since a long time (the idea is that if you don't need this extra data it only took a few seconds to suppress it in Excel grand sourire)
For instance, I need to include first and last names as separate columns. the ID number is also a very good candidate for this extra data.
My idea is to modify the responses report download and send to Tim the needed change for the overview report (the code used for the Excel download is very similar, not surprising because I wrote it in both cases !)
I will look at the gradebook download to see what information is included.
If some users need a particular data in the Excel download, it's time to ask for it because I am on holidays from february the 18th and I will work on that change.
UPDATE : After looking at the gradebook Excel download, my proposal is to include columns for First name, Surname, ID number, Institution, Department, Email Address.
Anything else ?

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
I have commited a new version to contrib CVS, with columns for FirstName, Lastname, IDNumber, Institution, Department, EmailAddress.
Also I did some code cleaning and corrected a bug when using the initials bar.
I left the code for ODS export, if you want to use it, of course you need the odslib.class.php file in your lib/ directory.
Please, test it and report here.

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Just to let you know that I have updated the detailed responses report plugin :
  • use roles in a similar way as the overview plugin
  • options to display students with attempts only, students with no attempts only, all students, all attempts exactly as in the overview report
  • some bugfixes
I am also preparing a version for Moodle 1.8 ready when it will be released wich use the new groupes code.

by Karthik eyan -
Is the detailed responses plugin for moodle 1.8 ready?

Thanx
In reply to Karthik eyan

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Yes, all you need is just to make sure you have version 1.10 of the mod/quiz/report/responses/report.php file. I also have a version working with Moodle 1.9dev ready but I didn't commited it yet to CVS (the only change is that it use the new stuff for groups).
Please report any bug you find in the 1.10 version as I am still using 1.7+ on my production websites it has only be tested on my development website.
I will upgrade my production website either to 1.8+ or (better) 1.9 this summer.

by Juan Marín -
I have upgraded today to 1.8.2+ and I get this error in detailed responses:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function groups_get_activity_group() in /moodle/mod/quiz/report/responses/report.php on line 59

In my old 1.7.2 works fine with version of report.php:
<?php // $Id: report.php,v 1.5 2006/05/22 06:12:42 jmvedrine Exp $
// This script lists student attempts and responses

The report.php version in the 1.8.2 is

<?php // $Id: report.php,v 1.13 2007/09/12 21:56:56 jmvedrine Exp $
/**
* This script lists student attempts and responses
* @version $Id: report.php,v 1.13 2007/09/12 21:56:56 jmvedrine Exp $

Probably I had to use 1.10 to have no problems with groups (may be it would be managed in different way in 1.8 an in 1.9)
In reply to Juan Marín

by Juan Marín -
I couldn't find any version 1.10 of the report.php to download it.

In CVS and moodle Download you get only the 1.13 -las version-
Thare is any link to previous versions?

Thanks
In reply to Juan Marín

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
One of the feature of CVS is that you can fetch any version you want.
This page allows you to download any version of the report.php file of the detailed resonses report.
If I was clever enought I would have used different branchs so that you can use these branchs to get MOODLE_17 MOODLE_18 versions but I am not familiar enought with CVS to do that. The only thing I am able to do is to commit and validate new versions of files to HEAD rouge
As you have guessed you need version 1.10 for Moodle 1.8 and version 1.13 for Moodle 1.9.

by Juan Marín -
thanks, I will probe it.

In reply to Juan Marín

by Juan Marín -
Yes!!!!
Version 10 works fine with 1.8.xx

Re: New version of the Detailed responses report plugin for Moodle 1.7+

by Sakis Zafeiropoulos -
I tried to setup quiz_report_responses plugin to my Moodle site
(Moodle 1.7+,Mysql 5.0, PHP 5.2, Apache 2.2.3, Windows 2003 Server).

I followed the instructions of the Readme file included in the zip but some files i copied to Respectives Folders were overwritten.
These files are:
responses.html
responsesdownload.html
 report.php

In the result tab of a quiz, the new tab "Detailed responses" next to the others but its not functional(look screen) althouth there are students to have done attemps to the quiz.
Did i made something wrong?
Is there any other plugin or module which reports the results of a quiz summarized containing the students names just like the old moodle versions?
Attachment detailed_responses.GIF
In reply to Sakis Zafeiropoulos

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Hello,
Can you look on your server at the mod/quiz/report/responses/report.php file and tell what is the version number (The version number is contained in the first line)
If the version number is different from 1.8 can you try downloading the latest version from CVS here ( right click on the download link near the 1.8 version line)
The download link seems to download an outdated version ??

Απάντηση: Re: New version of the Detailed responses report plugin for Moodle 1.7+

by Sakis Zafeiropoulos -

Thanks a lot jean, you are exactly right!!!

I had the 1.6 version. It would be good to update the zip file(http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=96) in moodle.og> module and plugins tab. I downloded it from there and the zip final contains the 1.6.

by Giovanni Agnese -
Hello!

I'm Agnese and I am a new Moodle user. I use the 1.7.1 version with php 5.1 and MySqL 5.0 and apache 2
Actually I'm managing several courses for many theachers in my faculty; they are very interested in this Detailed Responses Plugin, but I found a problem installing it. I followed the read me file, and apparently it works fine; the problem appears when I try to select the students that have not tried to solve the quiz yet.
The error that I visualise is this: 'This SQL relies on obsolete tables! Your code must be fixed by a developer'. I find your last version of the report.php (last update 10/2/2007) and repalced it but the error is still there.

Can you help me?
Thanks a lot!!!

Agnese A.

In reply to Giovanni Agnese

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Hello Giovanni,
Most probably you still don't have the right version for Moodle 1.7.1
You need version 1.8 dated Feb 1th abailable on this page.
Be carefull not to download version 1.9 or 1.10 wich are for Moodle 1.8x only.

by Jit San Chia -

Hi,

I think it might be more useful in some cases if the number following # (in the table header) is replaced by the question text, so that it's clear at a glance what questions the student are tryng to answer with those responses. Ditto with the downloaded excel sheet.

How could I achieve that? I have a feeling it could be just a small tweak.

Thanks very much

In reply to Jit San Chia

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
I think it might be more useful in some cases if the number following # (in the table header) is replaced by the question text, so that it's clear at a glance what questions the student are tryng to answer with those responses. Ditto with the downloaded excel sheet.
No this is not possible as it would not be compatible with random questions.
A lot of teachers (including me) are using tests only made of random questions.

by Ricardo Rodríguez García -
hi !!!
its posible to see the category name instead of the question number?
i think this is possible because the random questions are category dependent
thanks in advance
In reply to Ricardo Rodríguez García

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Yes it would be possible to display the category name instead of the question number
You need to change the lines
// Start by getting all questions
$questionlist = quiz_questions_in_quiz($quiz->questions);
$questionids = explode(',', $questionlist);
$sql = "SELECT q.*, i.grade AS maxgrade, i.id AS instance".
" FROM {$CFG->prefix}question q,".
" {$CFG->prefix}quiz_question_instances i".
" WHERE i.quiz = '$quiz->id' AND q.id = i.question".
" AND q.id IN ($questionlist)";
if (!$questions = get_records_sql($sql)) {
error('No questions found');
}
$number = 1;
foreach($questionids as $key => $id) {
if ($questions[$id]->length) {
// Only print questions of non-zero length
$tablecolumns[] = '$'.$id;
$tableheaders[] = '#'.$number;
$questions[$id]->number = $number;
$number += $questions[$id]->length;
} else {
// get rid of zero length questions
unset($questions[$id]);
unset($questionids[$key]);
}
}

But there are several changes to make
1) in the sql query add
the c.name AS catname in the field list,
the {$CFG->prefix}question_categories c in the tables list,
the q.category = c.id icondition in the WHERE clause
So you should obtain something like this :
$sql = "SELECT q.*, i.grade AS maxgrade, i.id AS instance, c.name AS catname".
" FROM {$CFG->prefix}question q,".
" {$CFG->prefix}quiz_question_instances i,".
" {$CFG->prefix}quiz_question_categories c".
" WHERE i.quiz = '$quiz->id' AND q.id = i.question AND q.category = c.id".
" AND q.id IN ($questionlist)";
2) change the line:
$tableheaders[] = '#'.$number;
to:
$tableheaders[] = '#'.$number.' '.$questions[$id]->catname;
Of course in am only writing this from memory am it would need real coding and testing but unfortunately due to the work I have to do for the end of the academic year I will not be able to do that in the next weeks.
if you really need this mail me maybe I can do it in july.

by Ricardo Rodríguez García -
Thanks a lot for the info
i'll try to do it myself and send you a copy when i finish
:D

by Paweł Suwiński -
jean-michel vedrine on 31 maj 2007, 05:01:

> No this is not possible as it would not be compatible with random questions.
> A lot of teachers (including me) are using tests only made of random questions.

Hello

I am trying to extend mod/quiz/report/overview/report.php for a while to get such array:
$report[$qCategory][$qText][$username]=$grade

to format and dump it later to some csv report.

Teachers wants report where numbers #1 in header are replaced with category names and question's text. Quiz includes only random questions.

I had a cursory look at quiz'es librarys but apparently to cursory :/... I need a hint wich function can I use to get in report.php question category and question text?

I will be grateful for any hint smile.

by Srinivas Rao -
I have downloaded this plug-in in "http://localhost\moodle\mod\quiz\report\responses", but unable to view the report. I am working with Moodle 1.8 version. Looking forward you reply.

Thanks in advance
Srinivas
In reply to Srinivas Rao

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Did you have report.php and style.css files in your http://localhost\moodle\mod\quiz\report\responses folder ? If not your plugin is not correctly installed
If yes, I see no reason that can prevent a new tab to be created. Eventually you can have a language problem and the tab would not be correctly labelled but the tab MUST be here because the code to create the new tab is in Moodle not in my code.
If you have the new tab correctly displayed but the report is not working when you click on that tab then this is another story and you need to tell what is displayed on screen when you click on that tab (blank screen, no dtata, ...) so that I can help you.

by Srinivas Rao -
Hi Jean,
Thanks for your quick reply.
Tab is displaying, but when I click on that tab, it is showing blank. What I have to do to display data? Please help me.

Srinivas
In reply to Srinivas Rao

by Srinivas Rao -
Hi Jean,
Can you please help me, how to get data under detailed responses tab. now i am getting only tab with blank page.

Thanks in advance
Srinivas

In reply to Srinivas Rao

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Hello,
Unfortunately solving blank pages problems in Moodle is not always easy.
  • Can you open the mod/quiz/report/responses/report.php file and tell me the version number ?
  • When you click on the tab is the resulting page totally empty ?
  • if you choose to display source code of this blank page in your browser do you see anything ?
  • Go to Administration -> Server -> Debugging and choose DEVELOPPER as the debugging level (don't forget to reset it to it's original state after !)
  • Display the blank page again. Is it always blank ? Is any error displayed ? If so , please report exact error message
  • Open each file in mod/quiz/report/responses and verify that there is nothing (even an invisible newline character) after the closing ?> if you find anything, including space or new line character delete it and save the modified file. Don't forget to do the same check for the lang file of the report.
I hope we will make some progress with these checks.

by Amy Sweet -
Hi! my students are seeing a blank page when they try to open my quiz. I went through the steps you listed (thanks, they were easy to follow!) and this message came up:
Page class mapping requested for unknown type: http:--xstream.nwoca.org:16080-moodle-mod-quiz-view

Page class mapping for id "http:--xstream.nwoca.org:16080-moodle-mod-quiz-view" exists but class "" is not defined

Any suggestions as to how I can fix this? I'm not sure what the last 'but class "" is not defined' means, but I have a feeling I've goofed up the settings.

Thanks for any help you can give!

by Srinivas Rao -
Hi,

This is an excellent report. I have one request, is it possible to get the which option the user has selected instead of text of the option. For example

1. LMS is
a. Learning Management system
b. Lean Management system
c. Lean Mean System

If user chooses 1st option the report should show 1 instead of Learning Management system.

Your early response will help me a lot. Thanks in advance for your support.

REgards

Sriharanivas
In reply to Srinivas Rao

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Hello Srinivas,
Unfortunately doing what you are asking for is not so easy
  1. because of the way answers and responses are stored in the database (the 1 or a you are asking for is not stored anywhere, it must be calculated)
  2. because this report need to work even if the option to shuffle answers is selected (so answer 1 or a is not the same for all students)
I don't say it is impossible, but that it is not a small change and unfortunately I must admit I lack both time and motivation to work on it triste
My priority is that this report is updated each time there are change in the core Moodle reports and follow Tim plans for future developpments of quiz reports.

by Srinivas Rao -
Hi Jean,
Thank you for your reply.

Srinivas
In reply to Srinivas Rao

by Kym Lawry -

Edit: problem described below was fixed by upgrading the plugin - this had not been done after upgrading moodle to 1.9 - should have checked first....

I am having trouble with the detailed responses plugin when I attempt to sort the table based on the grade for a question (by clicking on the corresponding question number at the top of the table).
This causes the detailed responses table to become blank - and all subsequent uses of "detailed responses" in any quiz will now result in a blank table until I log out and login again.

Using debug - the problem appears to be a call to sql_isnull()

Fatal error: Call to undefined function sql_isnull() in E:\moodlebase\moodle\mod\quiz\report\responses\report.php on line 270

It appears that this function has been deleted from moodle 1.9 (the version we are using) - but I do not know enough to repair/adjust the code.

by Nishank Chandradhara -

Hello Jean,

I'm using the 'Detailed responses' plugin to give a detailed report on every student's answers. I just installed the new version (v 1.13) on Moodle 1.9. I got the detailed report as it is supposed to be but I'm getting errors when

1. I click on the questions numbers ( #1, #2 ....) or any header ( Grade --/-- or first name/last name).
2. I get the same error when I change any of the display options (show all students, show all attempts etc) or                                                     3. when I try to download the data in any of the format. ( excel, text or ODS).

I changed the settings in admin --> debugging --> developer and I got the following error for all the above actions:

Report not known (responses)
Stack trace:
  • line 1651 of lib\deprecatedlib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 65 of mod\quiz\report.php: call to error()

Please help me to clear the above errors.

Also I was wondering if there is any way I could add the instructors comment along with the detailed responses of the students. I am using the quiz to create essay-type questions which gets the instructors comment on each answer.

Thank you and look forward to hear from you.

Regards,
Nishank

In reply to Nishank Chandradhara

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
I am happy (an proud) to announce that the "detailed responses" quiz report that I once wrote (with a lot of borrowing from other Moodle coders) is now part of Moodle 2.0.
So the MAIN branch is now dead in the contrib CVS, but for all Moodle 1.9 users good new is that after having ttried to do my best to help Jamie Pratt to prepare the version now in the \moodle CVS, I will continue to work on the 1.9 branch in the \contrib CVS.
So I think that in a few days I will commit an upgraded 1.9 version.
Stay tuned.

Jean,

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I wasn't aware that 'detailed responses' was a part of 1.9. Hence the changes I made must have caused the errors. I removed the changes I had made and looks like the report is working fine. Just wanted one more advice from you. The project clients I am involved with want a checkbox where they could select and download only the selected users/students and only their selected/required questions in the quiz.
For example:
Out of the 5 students and 15 questions in the report(#1 #2 #3....) they wish to download only one student and 4 questions out of say 10 questions.

Do you have any idea how I could change your code on your report or change the SQL code on myphp? Is there any other way I could use this idea? I appreciate your response.

Thanks and Regards,
Nishank

In reply to Nishank Chandradhara

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Hello Nishank,
"I wasn't aware that 'detailed responses' was a part of 1.9"
This is not what I said, detailed responses will be part of Moodle 2.0 not 1.9
If you need the 1.9 version it will not be in /moodle and it is not included if you download the zip or tgz files for 1.9 version on the Download Moodle page.
You will have to wait a few days and the updated version I will publish
This version will still be in /contrib CVS but to ease download I will publish a link to the zip file.

For your problem about selecting students and questions, it certainly could be done but would require some work to create the interface to select students and questions and also modify the sql queries. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to find the needed time.
Why not take another approach : when you have exported the report as an Excel or OOCalc file it only takes seconds to select and delete rows or lines clin d’oeil
This was the reason I included extra columns for institution, email, ... : the Moodle users that needs them are satisfied and the others just delete these columns.

Jean,

I don't know for some reason the files which I downloaded from moodle CVS were already present in the directory. But I think the 'detailed responses' is working smoothly. It is one of the best plugin you have created Jean. Helps me a lot in relation to the project I'm involved with. However, I have one more issue popping in. When I click on any attribute on the top row i.e., First name/surname, grade/--, #1, #2.... I get the follwing error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function sql_isnull() in C:\moodleproject\xampp\htdocs\moodle\mod\quiz\report\responses\report.php on line 340

I checked the code on line 340 which says:
 $where       .= ' AND ('.sql_isnull('qns.questionid').' OR qns.questionid = '.$qid.')';

I couldn't understand the code, hence I thought you'd be familiar with this error. Please let me know if you have suggestions on the above error. Thanks a lot for your advice on the excel sheet about selecting the required users and their data. I am sure the clients can work with that till I get a perfect solution.

I was hoping to get another row consisting of the instructor's comments below every students' responses as it is one of the important part of my project. I was thinking of performing some SQL scripting to get this extra data. Only issue is I don't know where to change the SQL queries as I am unfamiliar with the moodle structure. I would appreciate any advice regarding this(such as where to edit the SQL queries, which tables to access consisting of instructor's comments etc). Thank you.

Regards,
Nishank

by Rob Rashotte -

Is there a new 1.9 version of this plug in available. The link for downloading the latest version downloads a empty .zip file.

In reply to Rob Rashotte

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Hello,
Even if it appear strange, It is quite normal you get an empty .zip file if you use the link to download the latest version
This is because the link to download the latest version :
http://download.moodle.org/download.php/plugins/mod/quiz/report/responses.zip
download the files from the HEAD branch of the CVS and this branch is now extinct because responses report plugin has been moved from the /contrib CVS to the /moodle CVS when it was made part of Moodle 2.0
To download the files from the MOODLE19_STABLE branch you need to use url :
http://download.moodle.org/download.php/plugins19/mod/quiz/report/responses.zip
(note the small difference between 2 urls). But please don't use this url now because I have a brand new 1.9 version ready but I am on summer holidays with only my small laptop and once again I have forgottten my CVS password (stupid me !) so I am unable to commit it to CVS today. As soon as I have commited it, I will post here and you will just have to click on the link above to download the 1.9 version.
After that I will start to upgrade the 1.8 version and once this is done, as you can guess you will have to use the url:
http://download.moodle.org/download.php/plugins18/mod/quiz/report/responses.zip
to download it !!
I will report my progress here.

by Carrie Laudadio -

Hi Jean -

I downloaded the version for Moodle 1.9 but am unsure what to do with the files now.

Thank you.

Carrie

by Herbert Feutl -
hello,

I downloaded and installed the 1.8 version of you plugin and the site is blank.
not results shown, no errors on the site.

I really need a tool which allows me to geht the normal HTML test result including all information stored for a attempted test on a per user base.
I have to make some diagrams in excel and moodle doesn't allow me to export the test results for every user so I can make my own report.

can somebody help me?
In reply to Herbert Feutl

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Normally a blank page means an error occurred, but as is good practice on a productions system, you have display of error messages turned off. Go to Admin -> Server -> Debugging and turn it on. The go back to the report, and see what the error is. Then, if this is a production system, remember to turn debugging back off.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Herbert Feutl -
thanks, for the help.
moodle is new for me and I have to implement and test some things to get it work for a customer.
the debug info say:

Notice: Use of undefined constant QUIZ_REPORT_DEFAULT_PAGE_SIZE - assumed 'QUIZ_REPORT_DEFAULT_PAGE_SIZE' in /usr/share/moodle/mod/quiz/report/reponses/report.php on line 41
3 Students have made 3 attempts

Fatal error: Call to undefined function groups_get_activity_group() in /usr/share/moodle/mod/quiz/report/reponses/report.php on line 59

not pretty sure what that means and how to fix it.
In reply to Herbert Feutl

by Tim Hunt -
That last error is the critical one. groups_get_activity_group is a core Moodle function, so it should be there. However, I know that the groups functionality changed between 1.7, 1.8 and 1.9, so perhpas the first thing to double check is that you have the right version of the plugin for the version of Moodle you are using.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Herbert Feutl -
I downloaded the 1.8 version from the link above.
I am pretty sure!!!
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Herbert Feutl -
does somebody know a plugin which gives me the quiz responses a student made ? so I can generate my own report in excel ?
it is very important and perhaps there are other plugins working for moodle 1.8

by Jeff Snyder -
Can you post the code changes to make the question categories appear on the table?