Best option to teach students 1on1 with notes

Best option to teach students 1on1 with notes

by Hillel Adrian -
Number of replies: 11
Hello all, newbie here, I am building a site whereby we teach students one on one via online and occasionally in person. What would be the best way to setup the teaching, to be able to record notes on each lesson/interaction with the student, that can be referenced by the teacher and/or student preferably prior or during the following lesson/interaction with the student . One student way be taught by many different teachers and teachers will teach many different students. There are many lessons per day, I am using scheduler to schedule the teachers and students lessons. The teaching may be conversational and after the interaction/lesson with the student, prepared documents are sent to the the students.
Any thoughts as to which way would be best way to deal this.  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hillel Adrian

Re: Best option to teach students 1on1 with notes

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Moodle provides the ability to add notes about students. This can be done at the "site" level or "course" level.

Moodle also provides methods of tracking student progress, such as "activity completion" features and a grade book.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Hillel Adrian -
Hi Rick

Thank you for the the quick reply, ideally I am looking for a lesson type that the teacher can make notes during the lesson about the individual student by the teacher for that lesson. Then for the next lesson whichever teacher is teaching they will be able to make new notes and see the old ones. The notes if possible should be visible or available by a click during the lesson. The lesson content will primarily be a dialogue between teacher and student. During this dialogue the teacher will make relevant notes about student and the lesson. I am using scheduler to co-ordinate the lessons with the student. I am running moodle 3.7 not sure that scheduler (mod_scheduler_moodle32_2016100404) supports moodle 4. I look forward to your reply and thank you for the help.

by Rick Jerz -
I keep notes about my teaching in a Word file. Since it is my course, I don't have a need to share it with other instructors.

I don't know about anything built into Moodle. As mentioned, there are course and student notes, but not "by assignment." Keeping "notes" for a student only requires two or three clicks.  As another idea, you could use a hidden "label resource" put beneath each assignment, where instructors would see "notes." But then you would probably want this to be "collapsable" because your course will look "cluttered."

In the Moodle Tracker system, you could suggest that every resource and activity provide an icon that opens "notes." Then others could vote on your idea.

There might be a plugin for what you seek, too. I don't have this need, so I don't know.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Hillel Adrian -
Hi Rick

Thanks that's very helpful and I will to see if that will do the trick, i don't needs per assignment, its will be notes per topic so 20 interactions with the student (lessons) we will 20 topics and I want notes per topic, I will try what you suggested with hidden label otherwise maybe i can interage google docs. I have some work ahead will let you how it works out. Thanks for your time and appreciate the help.

by Rick Jerz -
Yes, I thought about a Google Docs solution, but I don't use Google Docs, so it is hard for me to suggest that solution to you.

Joost's suggestion is interesting. I have never done it myself, but I do know about this "group of 1" technique of forums. It may, however, allow students to see comments. I am not sure if you desire this. However, you could hide the forum from students, allowing other teachers to see it. So it is worth exploring. A similar method could be to use a hidden topic, with a page resource per topic. Or even a hidden course. But the "forum" technique might work best, having this "Notes" forum at the bottom of every topic.  As an example, the forum title could be "Topic 1 Notes." Then you could create a post, called "(name of student) Comments" for every student.  When you get the first forum set up, you could duplicate it for each topic.  Later, you could use the Advanced (forum) Search tool to search for a student's name.

I did a mock-up of this forum idea.  (see graphic). The first picture shows the forum is hidden.  The second graphic shows two student's names.  Since this is hidden, students can see it.

Attachment Notes Idea.png
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Hillel Adrian -
Hi Rick

Thinking about what you said might work but maybe with slight change, If I create a course by way of example with 11 lessons, with 1 hidden lesson with a blank page only teachers can view/edit, the next 10 lessons, create a page that would be visible to the student so they can login and see anything the teacher writes on a (non hidden) lesson page and the students can also view and edit this page and the first lesson, the hidden one, could contain all the notes by the teacher that are private. Then any teacher could see the hidden lesson page and all the any private notes on it and the students could not. This would allow each student to have specific notes on the hidden page only visible to teachers and each page would be linked/tied directly to each student. Does this make sense or am i missing something. I should be able to add a button/link that would take the teacher directly to the hidden lesson page, so they could view it in a single click. I will test this today as well and revert.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hillel - it's not initially particularly intuitive but you can do this with an individiual wiki. See Wiki. Tell the student to start the page. Then you as teacher can access everyone's wiki and edit it but the students can only see their own wiki.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Rick Jerz -
Sorry, I have lost track of your initial needs and might not have remembered that you want the student to see these notes. So, you want private conversations between one student and all teachers. Mary's suggestion might work. Also, creating a forum and using "groups of 1," as suggested below, might also work, although I have never tried either technique.

by Joost Elshoff -
You could set up a forum with separate groups, where the groups contain 1 student each. When properly set up, students receive a new post notification in their respective forums, while teaching staff can interact with each student's forum.
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Hillel Adrian -
Hi Joost
Thanks for the feedback, while this seems like an option I think it's going to be too much admin work long term and we intend to, according to our business plan have very students (100's hopefully thousand a 1000's ) to setup an individual group for each student may be an admin nightmare, I am not sure how long this takes and if it can be automated as i have not worked with groups before but will look at this option today
I do really like the ability to ''students receive a new post notification in their respective forums, while teaching staff can interact with each student's forum."
This option seems great but am just concerned about the admin.

I intend using self registration for the students (minimising admin), so again not sure how creating separate groups this would impact this. One would think that there must be an plugin or something that would allow a teacher to make notes on a student in relatively painless way. Surely I can not be the only person using moodle who wants this and moodle has been around so long one would assume such a plugin exists, or least should exist.

Will look at the groups option today and see if its manageable from an admin prospective.

Many thanks

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
"to setup an individual group for each student may be an admin nightmare" - Not really, as Moodle can make groups automatically with the number of group members being set to whatever you want, such as one. The only problem I ever had was trying to have it automatically give the group a name that was meaningful to me and would indicate who was in the group.