Students got Hotpot test "in progress" that never stops ?

Students got Hotpot test "in progress" that never stops ?

by Jocelyn Chappaz -
Number of replies: 3
Hello...

I made some short exams with HotPotatoes years ago. They're still relevant. I've used it but recently, the fact that some students don't "finish" the test, it's still "in progress" and so, I can't have any of their anwsers, not a rate... which is problematic.

The test is closed now. Still, some students got their hotpot test "in progress" and I don't know how to "close" them ?

any help ?

thanks !
(moodle 3.11.10+ (Build: 20220930) - hotpot updated to the last version)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jocelyn Chappaz

Re: Students got Hotpot test "in progress" that never stops ?

by john kuti -

Hello Jocelyn,

I think it's important to understand that HotPot exercises are not like tests for summative assessment. They are designed for students to learn while they are answering, using feedback from the test to find the right answer. The test is not finished until the student has 100% correct answers.

A student who has found the right answers just by "trial and error" gets a low mark because they are penalised for using hints and checking answers that turn out to be wrong.

A student who has left wrong answers without trying again has not finished the exercise.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to john kuti

by Philippe Decloitre -
Hi Jocelyn and whomever might be interested:
If you want to grade your students with the questions you created with HotPot, you can use Gordon's HotPot import to Question bank: https://moodle.org/plugins/qformat_hotpot
Cheers smile
In reply to Philippe Decloitre

by Jocelyn Chappaz -
Hi

I don't really the difference with what I'm doing right now ? I mean, I got grades from HotPotatoes questions already ?

it just allows HotPot question to be imported in a test with other kind of questions, right ? ah, and eventually bypass the "still in progress" pb ??

OK, the behavior of HotPot test is lacking... I agree... that made me re-write a lot of my HotPot tests in more "usual" question formats, in my moodle...