Grid format updated

Grid format updated

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

I have updated the Grid format as follows:

Release 400.2.0 version 2022072203 for Moodle 4.0 version 2022041900.00 (Build: 20220419) and above within the MOODLE_400_STABLE branch until the next release:

with:

1. Add 'Change the number of sections in the course settings' link when editing.
  2. Fix 'Cannot import activities between two courses using the Grid format' - #169.

Release 311.1.2 for Moodle 3.11 version 2021051700.00 (Build: 20210517) and above within the MOODLE_311_STABLE branch until the next release:

with:

1. Fix maturity information not showing in information site setting.
  2. Fix 'PHP8.0 Compatibility issue when switching to Grid format' - #157.
  3. Changed to semantic versioning 2.0.0 (https://semver.org/) for the release value, whereby the 'major' number is the Moodle core branch number.  The 'version' property still needs to follow the Moodle way in order for the plugin to operate within the core API.

Even though they are stable releases, they could still contain bugs and so I strongly recommend that you check on a test server first!  Not sure how to set one up?  Then look at the 'Installer packages' on https://download.moodle.org/releases/latest/. ; Ensure that you have multiple backups of all data before using.  Please report any issues. i.e. 'bugs' with these releases ONLY here.  Before doing so please read 'Reporting issues' on the 'Information' tab on the format 'Settings' under 'Site administration' -> 'Plugins' -> 'Course formats' -> 'Grid'.

If you find this post useful, then please mark it so.

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Grid format updated

by Lisa Ahlberg -

I've noticed that with the new update to Moodle (dec 2022 is when i received a new update via my campus upgrade), the grid format disappears when I (an instructor) am in Edit mode.  It takes much more scrolling to find a section (the previous version still contained the grids at the top during editing).  can you help with this problem?

lisa

In reply to Lisa Ahlberg

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Lisa,

The M4.0+ version is a complete re-write from almost scratch as a means of being able to continue with the format given the substantial Moodle course format API changes. The opportunity was taken to reduce the amount of custom form code and employ greater learnt knowledge of the File API to provide a better implementation of the principle functionality of the format. This resulted in the sections rather than the grid being used as the basis for the upload of the related grid image, as it makes their management easier to handle. It may or may not be possible to enhance the format to show the link to the edit form, and have the grid show, but then its not as simple as that as then it would be expected, with the grid showing, that any section moves result in the grid boxes moving without the need for a page reload, as the sections do with JavaScript at the moment. In addition, section name changes would also have to occur. Thus this is no longer a relatively trivial task, but indeed an involved one. And so, even if I can figure out a solution then that investigational process that leads to an estimate of the implementation, and then actual implementation time would need to be funded.

Kind regards,

Gareth
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Lisa Ahlberg -
Thanks for the insight. not everything could get "upgraded"