Matching type quiz questions?

Matching type quiz questions?

by RW Wood -
Number of replies: 8

A frequent question format for tests that I give is matching: two columns of words or phrases where the student has to select the letter from the answer column and put it with the corresponding question. Example:

1._____ apples                      A. yellow

2._____ oranges                    B. red

3._____ bananas                   C. purple

4._____ plums                       D. orange

The student puts the letter on the line next to the number.

I'd like to be able to do this kind of quiz in moodle, but there is not a specific matching quiz question catagory, and my coding skills are not up to figuring out how to. Since this is essentially a list of short answer questions, can anyone see how to do a mod ification that would reflect this kind of question format?

Thanks,
RWW

Average of ratings: -
In reply to RW Wood

Re: Matching type quiz questions?

by Barry Bell -

I agree, I think I requested or mentioned this before, we need a small database module (or what I call a database module) that would allow us to create tests or a quiz or whatever we want to adapt to our requirements. On my site the instructors teach chess and they are requesting something that they can create that best suits there needs. An example of a request was : I need to test a persons understanding of a position, yes or no is ok but I also want an explanation, this helps to understand the students thought process. Another instructor wanted to setup a database that allowed the students to input data that could be marked and changed as required.

Thanks

Chess4Us

In reply to Barry Bell

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You use of "database" is a little vague here (since all data in Moodle (or any other web application) is stored in a database of some kind.

I think what you are talking about here is best solved by extending the quiz module with new question types (the module has been designed to allow this, but it still requires a programmer to make the changes).

As RW mentioned, "matching answers" is one missing question type, whereas the "long answer" type is another (requires manual marking). On the drawing board already are "random question set" and "random answer set" types.

The second case you mentioned, Barry, could possibly be satisfied using a journal activity.

Another option I haven't looked in to yet, but which may suit you, is the use of Hot Potatoes, included in Moodle as a resource.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Barry Bell -
Thanks, I will take a look at Hot Potatoes.

by Barry Bell -

I do use the term database loosely, I guess what I am asking for is a module that allows the teacher to create whatever resource he or she requires to make their task easier. I don't want to create it for them. Let's say for example a teacher wants to create a database of  all his students, he wants this database to be searchable and he wants the student to enter their own information when they enroll in the class. Yes the teacher can use the exsisting tools to create and store this information but it will take time. I see in my mind a module that would ask the teacher ok, what do you want to call this database, how many tables do you require and what are the field names. The teacher would then push a button and the database would be created the interface to input the data would be created an it would be available as a resource.

These are just my thoughts!

Thanks

by RW Wood -

I've checked out HotPotatoes and another testing software, ExamView because I need more options as to test question types. ExamView is very nice and generates an html test page that can then be uploaded to the server for online testing. It would be a simple matter to incorporate that page as a resource in moodle, but since the whole thing is written in javascript, I don't see anyway to get it to tie into Moodle's database for student, grade integration, etc.

Any thoughts on integrating this or any other "full-featured" testing program into Moodle would be appreciated.

Thanks.
RWW

In reply to RW Wood

by Richard Standen -
We have a piece of software (www.coursegenie.com) that allows you to author 15 types of questions (including Matching type) in MS Word and export to HTML. You could then upload these questions to Moodle. However, these wouldn't interact with Moodle in order to move scores/grade data around.

It is our intention to have QTI export, which would mean that a system with QTI import could take this file and make use of the question types. I understand that QTI is set to become an important standard for question and test interoperability - so maybe Moodle will have QTI import at some point in the future???