H5P in moodle-generell question

H5P in moodle-generell question

by Josef Schippers -
Number of replies: 12
Hello,

this request is actually more for the developers of moodle. Since moodle has developed its own H5P module, which has and will always have certain differences to the original, as developments will always be different, there are always requests in the H5P forum that actually concern moodle and its H5P module. This seems inefficient to me.

Wouldn't it be possible to coordinate this better with both sides?

So moodle team. How about talking to each other?

Greetings nemo23
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josef Schippers

Re: H5P in moodle-generell question

by Oliver Tacke -
Hi Josef!

Do you have any suggestions how this could work? I think it's quite tricky.

It's not really obvious to users where posting might be best. For some, H5P is just some genuine part of moodle and they post here even though the problem might be in one of the content types that moodle has nothing to do with. For others, there seems to be a problem with H5P and they know that it's an external piece of software, so they head over to the H5P forums, even though the problem might in fact be moodle's custom integration that the H5P core team has nothing to do with.

And after all, I think both these forums are community forums and not a support branch of the respective development team, so it might be up to the H5P/moodle community to try to improve the situation. Back to my introductory question: Do you have any suggestions how this could work?

Best,
Oliver
In reply to Oliver Tacke

by Josef Schippers -
Hallo Oliver,
das war ja gerade meine Frage, wie sich die mögliche Kooperation über die Integration oder Kooperation verbessern ließe. Ich bin ja in diese Prozesse nicht wirklich involviert. Es fiel mir eben nur auf, dass beim H5P-Forum immer wieder Anfragen auftauchen, die die H5P-Version von moodle betreffen. Wohl core-version genannt. Mir ist klar, dass ich nicht über die Kompetenz verfüge, um einen Lösungsansatz zur Verfügung zu stellen. Hmmmm. Ich sehe ja jetzt, dass viele Mitglieder beider Seiten in beiden Foren aktiv sind und entdeckte nach meinem gestrigen Post erst, dass ich wohl nicht der erste war, der sich darüber Gedanken macht: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=408251
Ich kenne die Kommunikationsstrukturen, die innerhalb dieser verschiedenen Gemeinschaften wirken, zu wenig, um wirklich einen konstruktiven Vorschlag machen zu dürfen oder zu können. Also von klugscheißerisch zu demütig.
Grüße josef aka villon

Hello Oliver,
that was just my question, how the possible cooperation could be improved via integration or cooperation. I am not really involved in these processes. I just noticed that the H5P forum keeps getting requests for the H5P version of moodle. Probably called core-version. I realize that I don't have the expertise to provide a solution approach. Hmmmm. I do see now that many members of both sides are active in both forums and only discovered after my post yesterday that I was probably not the first to worry about this:https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=408251
I don't know enough about the communication structures that operate within these different communities to really be allowed or able to make a constructive suggestion. So from smart-alecky to humble.
Greetings josef aka villon

by Oliver Tacke -
Naa, you have a point. There are questions related to H5P content types popping up here and questions related to moodle's core integration popping up on the H5P forums. That's for sure. My main point was that think solving this is neither a job for H5P Group nor for moodle Pty (alone).

Best,
Oliver
In reply to Oliver Tacke

by Josef Schippers -
Hello Oliver,
my main motivation for my initial posting was that I am well aware of the potential of H5P and also see the possibilities that this could and certainly will have on platforms other than moodle, wp, drupal or even as an island solution in html.
greetings
Josef
In reply to Oliver Tacke

by Josef Schippers -
Hello Oliver,
since I have grown fond of both moodle and H5P. Well, especially H5Pwink another crazy idea. A shared support forum. That means fragmentation. But with the right advertising it could succeed.
Greetings
villon aka josef

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Josef 
I like your enthousiasme, but if you integrate these forums. Then I wonder: 

• Where will someone go that has questions about H5P in Canvas, Lumi, WordPress by example?
  • Will this forum also provided a space to ask other Moodle related questions? 
  • And should you then not also integrated the Articulate E-learnign Heroes community forum for SCORM 1.2 related issues with Articulate? O

My point is: H5P does not have just an integration with Moodle, as Moodle is not just about H5P. 

I think the best way to see this is that  the developing parties like Joubel and Moodle Pty just provides a place for the communities come together and help eachother. and it is best to keep these things seperated.  

But that's just my 2 cents on this. 

Gemma

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gemma Lesterhuis

by Josef Schippers -
Hi Gemma,
my idea was mainly about the different approaches of moodle and joubel.
I just wonder if there could be a solution to make the different implementations more usable again, especially for the users. This is especially the case when problems occur. If I am completely wrong with this, that may be. Nevertheless, I can't get rid of the thought that a solution could be found that would satisfy all sides to some extent. For example, a common database that could be fed by both sides would be conceivable. And here I'm only talking about H5P (joubel) and H5P (moodle). Conquering the universe will come laterwink
greetings
josef

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I think you are crying over spilled milk. The decision has been taken years ago by Martin D. to part. Talking with the past can only hinder the present progress (in whatever direction).
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Josef Schippers -
Dear Mr. Ratnaweera
Thanks for the teaching. However, I may find it rather arrogant if they assume that I should know who Martin D. is and not think about possible solutions. And to talk about the past has already brought me so many times further, than to accept solutions which were sold to me as hopeless.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hello Josef

I am sorry for the completely unhelpful answer. It was a rant, my way, and not pointed at you. I just had to vent.

Doing H5P better was a commendable endeavour. But this kind of endeavours are not finished once they are done, that is just the beginning. They have to be maintained, user support offered and above all has to be developed further. Moodle's own h5pactivity is half a rewrite but also a great big step away from mod_hvp's repository for activities to the content bank. I don't know all the details, but what I experience is that the support on H5P growing day by day - on both, the mod_hvp and the h5pactivity.

Now to the decision makers: I was surprised that you don't know Martin D. Well, he may not be as well-know as Elon Musk but I expected the percentage to be higher in the moodle.org community. Welcome to Moodle! https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1.
;)

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Josef Schippers -
Dear Mr. Ratnaweera,
my deficits may include some, but this does not entitle them to use me as a lightning rod for their hurts and frustrations.
Nevertheless, I do not give up hope that H5P and its integration into the various learning platforms can progress and lead to a better benefit for our students.