Make submit / cancel buttons sticky

Make submit / cancel buttons sticky

by Stefan Hanauska -
Number of replies: 3

Hi everybody,

a colleague just told me he is annoyed a lot of being forced to scroll a lot in moodle forms to add or edit a course or an activity as the buttons are always at the bottom of a quite long form. He suggested to make the buttons sticky so they can always be reached when using the form.

I just drafted a way how that could be implemented:

This is also applied to other forms that are very long (e.g. course backup) but might (in current version) not catch all cases.

Before submitting that as a patch I just wanted to hear what you think about this feature - do you consider it to be useful from an UI / UX perspective?

Best regards
Stefan

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Stefan Hanauska

Re: Make submit / cancel buttons sticky

by Matthias Giger -
While this feature could be convenient for some people I see two issues which might result with the implementation.

1. As the button at the button takes up additional space, that space might be missing in some forms. For instance when you write content in a new page.
  2. With most forms, there are compulsory field to fill in. What happens when you press the button and the form doesn't save because of that missing information?

That said, I'm a bit ambigous about such a feature. Maybe the UX team could provide you with a more insight feedback.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Matthias Giger

by Stefan Hanauska -
Thanks a lot for your feedback to the idea!

The first issue is indeed something you have to weigh, as especially small screens produce a lot of scrolling. Maybe smaller buttons could be helpful there (as the floating buttons on the right side of the video)?

The second issue seems to be no real problem for me: When trying to submit, the required fields are checked and the first missing field is shown in the viewport - so you won't miss anything.
In reply to Matthias Giger

by Séverin Terrier -
Hi,

I personnaly wouldn't like to have some permanent buttons taking so much useful space. Taking space let less place for useful information, and implies more scrolling.

Séverin