Does this module Exist?

Does this module Exist?

by Adriana Baron -
Number of replies: 6

Hy i´m searching information about a module like the one i´ll describe:

The module is about having groups inside a course, i mean like diferent spaces for a couple of persons but inside a course, where only the members of the group and off course the teacher, can come in and see whats inside those groups, its an option of Blackboard. Does any body Knows if it exist? or if some people is developing it.

Thanks wide eyes

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adriana Baron

Re: Does this module Exist?

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Adriana--

Blackboard sets up a separate area for groups, and inside it the instructor can enable the file exchange, a chat room, and a discussion board.

Moodle treats these things a bit differently.  Instead of setting up a separate area of your course (groups and the groups button), everyone works out of the same area (the topic).  But you can set up activities to function with groups.  So, for example, you would set up a discussion board for the whole class but enable the group settings, then the members of one group could see only the posts by those group members. 

I think this works better than the BB system because an instructor can see everything by ALL the groups, whereas in BB, you have to make yourself a member of each group and go in and post or check posts for each separate area.  It is a lot more clicking!  And I like the fact that what you are doing is integrated with the instruction, not separated into a totally different area of the course.

Currently, in Moodle 1.5.3, you can assign a student to only one group.  I believe that is going to change in future versions. 

Here is a link to the documentation on groups:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Groups

The group settings are available on all the activities, as far as I know.  They are NOT available on resources although some of us would like that!

Hope that helped,
atw

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Adriana Baron

by N Hansen -
Do you want to restrict access to certain activities and resources to only a select group of students? I have a roundabout way of achieving that if you are interested I can explain it.
In reply to N Hansen

by Bill White -
N,

Could you post the info for everyone to see, I think it would help all of us as well as anyone new to Moodle.

Cheers,
Bill
In reply to N Hansen

by Sean S -
Hanson,

I would like to hear about that as well.