0% Weighted Grade Challenge-What Am I doing wrong?

0% Weighted Grade Challenge-What Am I doing wrong?

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Number of replies: 0
Hello Again!
Since I have been unable to use the "Grade Exceptions" feature due to some sort of glitz associated with using custom scales (separate post and everyone concluded there was nothing I could do to "fix" it) I need a work around to display some additional grades that only about 50% of my students need to complete.

About half of my students have committed to an additional "2-credit" project which has two assignments. Right now 100% of their grade comes from the category "moodle assignments" and is already nicely displayed. Since I can not use grade exceptions I thought I would add a "2-credit" category and weight it at 0%, so the students who have not opted for this option will not be penalized. I will just have to manually average the final grades for the students but want them to be able to see the scores for these assignments along with all of their other scores but do not want it to affect their overall percent.

Apparently I am doing something wrong.

Here is what I did:
  1. Added the Category "2-Credit Unit"
  2. Assigned the assignment and rated forum to this category (total of 100 pts)
  3. Weighted this category at 0%
  4. Moodle Assignments is still weighted at 100% (245 pts)
  5. Unhide this category.
  6. Now the category is displayed but but the Total Point is 345pts and everyone's final grade% are way low??? If I am weighting it at 0% why is it affecting the overall average?
Obviously I missed a step. APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT as I need to start USING THIS ASAP as students are finishing up.
(I tried to just drop the lowest two scores in the "2-credit unit" category but then it displayed 0pts for all the assignments and I want them to see the scores)