how do i get total duration of the course

Re: how do i get total duration of the course

by Geoffrey Van Wyk -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Plugin developers
> this is needed, when i show to the participants/student, i need to show him atleast approx. time it takes to finish the course.

You can base it on the average time previous students took to complete the same course. The time it took to complete a course you could calculate from the time they first accessed the course to the time they completed it.

> is the log only option? we have enabled a very small duration to keep the logs. what can we do i this case?

Yes, logs are basically the only option I can see. Something else you might consider are the analytics models (Site administration > Analytics > Analytics Models).
In reply to Geoffrey Van Wyk

by kanthsree s -
Apart from empirically determining the actual hours previous students took, which could be useful for some situations, there is the simple question about an appropriate Field during Course creation where the Creator can enter an approximate number of hours of work it will take for the student to complete the Course.

Is there a good field for Course creator to enter the above-mentioned Course duration?
(The point is to give the student a hint as to whether this is a 160 hour course or a 1600 hour course and not for accurate EMPIRICAL info).
In reply to kanthsree s

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Personally I would either write it in the course description, or alternatively, Moodle allows you to set up Custom Course Fields. Create one for 'Expected Course Duration' and then you can fill it in there. However, note that using custom course fields means you will probably also need to do some work to display the contents of that field (hence my suggestion to simply add it to the Course Description).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)