Aggregate Quiz Grade -> Completion

Aggregate Quiz Grade -> Completion

by Drew Toma -
Number of replies: 10

I use a single question quiz after each lecture to mark the attendance by giving the student a pin. If I have 30 lectures and require students to attend at least 27 lectures. How can I manage that with course completion?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Drew Toma

Re: Aggregate Quiz Grade -> Completion

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You could put all those quizzes in a category in the Gradebook. If each quiz is worth 1 mark, then you can do a completion condition of the category total being 27 or more.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Drew Toma -
Hi Tim, that's the direction I was taking it. The thing I'm not able to figure out is how to set a separate grade category as a completion requirement. I don't want their attendance factored into their course total grade as that's a separate completion requirement.
In reply to Drew Toma

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Create a new category in the Gradebook, add all of your attendance grade items in that category.
Exclude the attendance category from the total grade.
Kind Regards
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Drew Toma -
Hi Shirley,

I have that done already. The part I'm hung up on is how do I get that into the course completion? I'm not seeing a grade for just one category. Course grade shows the entire course.
In reply to Drew Toma

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Sorry, I didn't read well -
Items in the Gradebook and Items required for course completion do not have to match.
Does your course activity have an Activity completion requirement? If you are just using this to mark attendance and no grade will be assigned, you could remove the course completion requirement for that activity. Or remove the grade for those items in the Gradebook.

Kind Regards
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Drew Toma -
Shirley,

I have tests that need to be over 80% for completion.

I'm using the quizzes as attendance, and I only need 25/28 of them to be complete/passed. However I have no way of implementing both in the course completion requirements.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Drew Toma -
Hi Tim, how do I set a completion requirement on a grade category?
In reply to Drew Toma

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Drew,

You can't directly set a minimum value in a specific grade category as a completion criteria. AFAIK, you can only require a minimum course grade value in Course completion. If these quizzes are the only graded activities in your course, the course grade would naturally reflect the aggregate of these grades.

But an 80% average score over all quizzes is not the same as the 80% passing grade of each individual quiz.

There may be another approach to this challenge, if you are willing to use the mod_checklist activity module (https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_checklist) in your course. With this, set up to record completions of associated activities, you can track the overall 80% completion of the course as well. And since this is a completion criteria in the Checklist activity you'd use, you're also able to have the its completion as a cource completion criteria: the course is completed once the Checklist activity has a grade value of 80% or higher.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Why can't you select any grade item when creating a completion condition? That sounds like a bug (or at least a missing feature) in the completion system to me. Is there a tracker issue for it?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Probably because one could set the course grade to reflect a specific grade item through calculation formulas and nobody gave it much thought after that?

The formula would be something like Course grade = {grade item idnumber}

Not many teachers or learning designers would dive that deep into the grade book or the completion settings, I guess.

And... you'd have to be really sure of what you're doing when setting a course completion criteria like that.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)