EDUMY ON STANDALONE PC

EDUMY ON STANDALONE PC

by Food Hub -
Number of replies: 9

Goodmorning everybody.

This is my first post on the forum and I'm completely new to Moodle world, so sorry for every eventual error on my explanation.

I'm doing some technical tests to discover the exciting potentials of Moodle: in particular I've installed a simplified version of Moodle in order to bypass database and server configuration and to run Moodle from localhost on a standalone PC Desktop  (I can't tell you precisely what kind of version I've installed but there are two icons named Start Moodle and Stop Moodle).

I've discovered the themes and I tried to install a simple and free theme: its name is Adaptable. I've installed it simply by copying its folder into the folder server/moodle/theme (I don't know wether it is the right way to install a theme) and after restarting the server I could see between the themes also Adaptable and I switched to it.

By navigating other themes I discovered Edumy: it's not free but I want to try it.

This is the question: I watched many online tutorials about its installation and seems to be really difficult in my situation: I haven't a site manager, phpmyadmin neither a database, so I wanted to know wether it is possibile to install in my test and if so how.

Thank you in advance and sorry for possibile erros, I remain available to answer for many details about my situation and configuration

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Food Hub

Re: EDUMY ON STANDALONE PC

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi,

If you have a 'Start' and a 'Stop' Moodle option then you've installed a 'AMP' package on Windows / Mac?? And that will gave you a database. So what have you installed? And if it is the sort of thing I think you've installed, then you should be able to install any Moodle plugin.

Also consider reading https://docs.moodle.org/400/en/Installing_plugins and beyond.

Gareth
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Ri: Re: EDUMY ON STANDALONE PC

by Food Hub -
I think I've found the version I've installed.
It seems to be the Moodle 4.1dev
This is the link: https://download.moodle.org/download.php/windows/MoodleWindowsInstaller-latest.zip
In reply to Food Hub

Re: Ri: Re: EDUMY ON STANDALONE PC

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I see, in that case to try out plugins, then you're better off installing Moodle 4.0 -> https://download.moodle.org/windows/ - and indeed its stable rather than a work in progress.

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: EDUMY ON STANDALONE PC

by Food Hub -
So, the version I've installed is a sort of "work in progress", right?
In reply to Food Hub

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: EDUMY ON STANDALONE PC

by Gareth J Barnard -
Yes

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: EDUMY ON STANDALONE PC

by Food Hub -
But, if I install another version it would me more difficult to install and configure Moodle rather than what I've done for this one (there would not be start moodle icon, stop moodle icone etc.. so I would have to configure and install it entirely from the beginning).
In reply to Food Hub

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: EDUMY ON STANDALONE PC

by Gareth J Barnard -
That's not true. There would be a Moodle start / stop icon. You'd simply be installing a WAMP (Windows Apache MySQL PHP stack) with Moodle 4.0 and not 4.1. So, not entirely from the beginning but you would have to configure Moodle from the start. However, I don't think you have any choice as you need to run a stable and not development version of Moodle. And not more difficult, just the same or even less as you won't be struggling with the complexities of development code and you'll be in a better position for the themes to work as intended in the first place.

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: EDUMY ON STANDALONE PC

by Food Hub -
Ok, so I think it will be better to follow yor suggestions. I really thank you for your support, availability and the time devoted to me. I have another question about the compatibility between the theme Edumy and many plugins. May I ask you here or should I open another discussion?
In reply to Food Hub

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: EDUMY ON STANDALONE PC

by Gareth J Barnard -
Probably best to start a new discussion.

Gareth