BigBlueButtonBN V3.0 (2021101008) doesn't honor the session timing

BigBlueButtonBN V3.0 (2021101008) doesn't honor the session timing

by Gábor Zahemszky -
Number of replies: 4

After upgrading to Version 3.0 (2021101008) on our 3.11 site, we have the following error: The session timing doesn't matter. Eg: the plugin shows this information (it's correct)

The session has ended. Open: Wednesday, 3 August 2022, 8:00 AM Close: Wednesday, 3 August 2022, 12:59 PM

- but the "Join session" link is active (and working). And after joining, there are the "End session" link, too.

I think it's not normal.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gábor Zahemszky

Re: BigBlueButtonBN V3.0 (2021101008) doesn't honor the session timing

by Shamiso Jaravaza -
Hi, it seems that in v3.0 the 'Join Session' link is always active for admins/moderators, but the link is not available to students (so for students, the session timing is still honored). A ticket has been created here: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-9035
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Shamiso Jaravaza

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Moodle tends to allow admins, managers and teachers to access activities after the availability dates etc. (cf. how quiz previews work etc.)
Maybe what's needed here is an additional warning about the join session date having passed, so the admin / teacher / manager is aware that they would need to adjust the Close date or remove it from the BBB activity settings to allow the students in (again) ? The "Join session" button might remain available for teachers / managers / admins - alongside that warning ? I can imagine how e.g. collaborating course teachers might want to discuss this activity with each other again - without students knowing another session has opened. They could even record their meeting and hide it from students, the recording conveniently placed right there in the activity.
My two p's. I do believe something needs to be done with that "Join session" button - it certainly can't stay there like it is now.
I'd be happy to add these thoughts on the tracker, as well, if they are useful.
HTH. Regards,
Przemek
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Shamiso Jaravaza -
Hi, Przemek Kaszubski, for the particular scenario you mentioned, it could be possible to collaborate with other course teachers without students knowing by perhaps hiding a BBB activity from students? That would be more straightforward than using warnings with the join session button I think. Of course, if there's anything more you have found out, feel free to add to the ticket smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)