Place answers in a category - Question Type

Place answers in a category - Question Type

by Andy Hill -
Number of replies: 11

Morning all.

Wonder if someone can help, I have tried searching and checking the question types available and unless I am missing a trick, I don't see what I need. Let me try to explain:-

I want to ask a question on a quiz whereby the student has a list of items that he has to put correctly into 2 categories.  my list of answers is in the region of 15 which 7 need to be correctly put into Category A and the other 8 into Category B.

I could create an image where they have to drag and drop the items onto the image as a workaround. But I was hoping for a simpler alternative.  

Any ideas?

Thanks all

Andy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andy Hill

Re: Place answers in a category - Question Type

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you can install plugins this might be of interest.
https://docs.moodle.org/400/en/Gapfill_question_type#Tables_with_category_columns
Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Andy Hill -
Hi Marcus thanks for your help. I actually tried that plugin and it didnt quite do what i needed even though the concept is there. Frustratingly it doesnt come with an installer so i cant remove the plugin so easily
In reply to Andy Hill

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Andy,

...it didn't quite do what i needed
Could you be more specific on what you need?
In reply to Andy Hill

by Milagros Huerta Gómez de Merodio -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Andy, one option that occurs to me is that you can use CLOZE questions. If you put the list of the 15 elements that you want the student to classify and then insert CLOZE codes, with the answer Group A, or Group B. If you don't know how to use the CLOZE codes, FastTest PlugIn does it for you (it is only necessary to have Excel, you don't have to install anything in Moodle).
Another option would be to use the Lost Word, putting next to each element as a lost word, the group to which it belongs...

If you need a video with how I've done it, tell me and I'll prepare it.

I hope I could help you.

PS: I'm sorry, I'm Spanish and my English is not very good...

Regards
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Milagros Huerta Gómez de Merodio

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'd just like to correct one thing...... your English seems very good smile...
Your solution comes with the advantage that you don't have to install any other plugins. Though the solution is less beautiful that my plugin.
In reply to Marcus Green

Totally agree, the plugins that are developed to install in Moodle are usually much better. The drawback is having to rely on administrators to put one plugin or another.
For this reason I have developed mine so that you do not have to depend on anyone, since it prepares the XML file with the questions. It also helps to prepare the most common types of questions without having to go into Moodle other than to import the XML file. You can also prepare many same questions, with different parameters, for many question types: Multiple Choice, True/False, Short Answer, Matching, Essay, Cloze.
Although it is not for questions like that, I invite you to try it (if you have Excel, of course). I'm also trying to include scripts (developer by Dominique) that help to prepare the questions with more "freedom"...

PS: I use Google translate for my messages, so it's the translator that is improving a lot... 😅

Regards

by Andy Hill -
Thanks all, that is really helpful... Milagros, i will try the plugin as sounds like the easier option.. Are you ok to prepare the video? Your so kind, much appreciated.

Andy

by Andy Hill -
Thanks all, that is really helpful... Milagros, i will try the plugin as sounds like the easier option.. Are you ok to prepare the video? Your so kind, much appreciated.

Andy
In reply to Andy Hill

Of course!

In the following link you can see the video. At the end of it all, I explain how to import the Excel file in which the formulas that I explain during the video are already, in case you don't understand them very well (they are advanced Excel formulas).

I have some videos (in Spanish, but you can activate the translation of subtitles) where I explain how to use those Excel functions.

In the following link, you have the list with the recorded videos of the application, most of them have subtitles.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13DvMvhVkx12qg-r4tkzOiIfJDa5zrdOtAeIbpwYfeQk/edit?usp=sharing

I hope you like it and it helps you!!

P.S.: As you can hear in the video, my English is not very good, I hope you understand what I mean!!

Regards
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You can also do this with the Matching question type.

Create one with 15 subquestions, each of which has answer 'Category A' or 'Category B'.

It is on the Open University's TODO list to develop a specific question type for this sort of 'categorise these things' questions, but I am not sure when we will get to it. This has been on our list for years, and right now we are busy updating all our code to work with Moodle 4.0.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Indeed, with Match you can also. Another option is Lost Word. With FastTest PlugIn, It is limited to 12 matches, that's why I used CLOZE as an example, because with this type of questions, the number of "nested answers" is unlimited. With the FastTest PlugIn, many similar questions of these question types can also be asked, using the Excel functions that I explained in the previous video...

Either way, the result is the same. Everyone who chooses the type of question that is easiest for them to configure...

P.D.: I thought that in the type of Matching questions you couldn't repeat a word and, if it was repeated, it would appear twice. I just verified that it is not, so I have learned something new, "You can also learn by helping."

Regards