Password protect scripts in Assignment

Password protect scripts in Assignment

by Swathi Kodimunja -
Number of replies: 3

How to know the script is password protected in the assignment view all submission page?

How to know the script is password protected at the time of upload assignment submission?

By opening the file it's not converted and giving password protected, for the lecturers it's time taking process to get into individual students and check so we need to add the script status like password protected please advise.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Swathi Kodimunja

Re: Password protect scripts in Assignment

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm not sure if I completely understand what you're asking, but it sounds like students are uploading password-protected files as assignment submissions, and you want to be able to detect that? It's hard to imagine how Moodle would be able to do that, since the password protection will be implemented in the software that creates and opens the file. Moodle just sees a file as a blob of data, with some metadata like filename and size.

The only possible way I could think to detect this would be using an antivirus or fileconverter plugin that passes the files through some external tool that detects whether they're password-protected. I don't know if such a tool exists, though.

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Yusuf Kara -

Would it be possible to modify the code to add a FileReader functionality to the page where a student uploads their assignment  so that it reads the file and checks if there is a password on the pdf and then display an error message to the student stating the file is protected please remove the password and try again. This can be executed either on the "Save Changes" button or when the student chooses the file and clicks on "Upload this file".

This in theory would prevent a student from uploading protected files

In reply to Swathi Kodimunja

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The students must know that they are uploading password protected files. It doesn't just happen by accident.

I would put a message in the Assignment description... "If you upload a password protected file it will not be marked and you will get a grade of zero".

That'll soon sort it out wink
Average of ratings: Useful (1)