Change parent chapter

Change parent chapter

by Lee Taylor-Vaughan -
Number of replies: 5

Hello:

I have several "pages" that have a parent chapter, and I need to move them to another parent chapter. 

I see that the parent chapter is a fixed field and cannot be edited (it would be really useful if the parent chapter was a dropdown field and we could just assign it to another area of the book/chapter). 

Right now it seems to copy and pasting, then deleting the old chapter/pages, etc is the only way to do it (that is going to take a lot of work sad ).

Lee

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lee Taylor-Vaughan

Re: Change parent chapter

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Do you mean a subchapter of anothe chapter? Can't you just move the pages (subchapters) down below the parent chapter you need?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Lee Taylor-Vaughan -
yes. Thank you. It's odd how my book has been created as some sections have a sub as a parent and moving them up and down moves a whole block of sections when i just want one section to move.

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
You could try using the Microsoft Word File Import/Export (Book) plugin to export the book into a Microsoft Word file. You can then use the Outline view in Word to easily move sections and subsections around. Finally, you can import the Word file back into a Book resource. You really have to create a new Book resource and delete the current one, because the plugin doesn't let you simply replace the existing chapters in the current Book (it would be nice if it did). 
In reply to Eoin Campbell

by Lee Taylor-Vaughan -
This is an excellent idea. I like how word on the PC allows you to move stuff around much easier. Have you had any luck with importing images from a word file - I find that every now and then it skips images.

It would be great if we could get a plugin to copy/move sections of a book (or to another book) to drag-and-drop sections, edit parents, etc Are you aware of anything that exists for this, or do you think a word export and reimport is the best solution?

Lee

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Images have to be embedded into the Word file using web-compatible file formats such as GIF, JPEG or PNG. There is some more documentation on handling figures on a new Moodle document page I just added at How to prepare a Word file for import into a Book
I don't know of any plugin that allows book chapters and sections to be re-organised. It would probably need to work a bit like the Categories page on the course Question bank, I imagine.