SOLVED: Moodle 4 - can't turn "Edit Mode" OFF for students on their DASHBOARD page

SOLVED: Moodle 4 - can't turn "Edit Mode" OFF for students on their DASHBOARD page

by Liza Cox -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, I'm very new to Moodle so apologies upfront. I've just started setting up Moodle and I'm using test data/ test users/ etc.

I want to make my student's Moodle experience as simple as possible, we're taking baby steps in our Moodle journey, there's no compelling reason I can see that the Student would need "Edit Mode" ON and it's enabled by default on their "Dashboard" page ("Dashboard" is their landing page as far as I can tell and I can confirm Edit Mode is not visible on Student "Home" or "My Courses" tab). 

I'd like to introduce my students to Moodle in the first instance in a moreover locked down state and grow it out from there. . So in the first instance I'd like to turn "Edit Mode" off for the Student role everywhere. 

I have set the vast majority of all Student role attributes to "Prohibit" (that took a long time). All my test students are NOT admins, they only have the Student role.

Yet the top right Edit Mode button still appears (and is enabled) for them. It must be me missing/ misinterpreting something but I would appreciate any pointers to turn Edit Mode OFF for the Student role.

I've read the "read me first" post and, sadly, I have used Softaculous as an installer. From my layman's viewpoint I think that's not the problem (and I would struggle to install without something like Softaculous) but happy to learn.

Thanks for helping me to get rid of this  for the Student role...""

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Liza Cox

Re: Moodle 4 - can't turn "Edit Mode" OFF for students

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Firstly, the edit button is there so that they can customise their own Dashboard.

The thing you are missing, is that students only have the student role inside courses (where they are enrolled as students). Outside of courses and on the Dashboard page in particular, everybody has the role "authenticated user". So you need to remove the capability for that role.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Liza Cox -
Perfect...that worked...thank you. "Simple steps" smile

Nice cat btw smile
In reply to Howard Miller

by P2 K -
help me!

I tried to remove but it does not work. It still appears Edit mode.