Specific students selection for course enrolment

Specific students selection for course enrolment

by Javier Tejera -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I wonder if there is an easy way to "assign" specific students to a teacher and so s/he can only enrol them to the course where s/he teaches.

Scenario:

• Teacher A, Sarah, has 30 students in one course. Teacher B, Andrew, has 40 (different) students in another course.
  • When Sarah wants to enrol students to her course, just her 30 students appear in the students selection.
  • When Andrew wants to enrol students to his course, just his 40 students appear in the students selection.

I guess this is possible to do with a mix of cohorts and role capabilities?

Thanks,
Javier

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Javier Tejera

Re: Specific students selection for course enrolment

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Javier,

We’re currently working on a plugin that could potentially solve your issue. Maybe you’ve already found a solution to your need anyway, in this case I’m sure the community would appreciate what you’ve done.

If you haven’t found a solution, feel free to contact me and we can discuss how it could be done.

The key question is how to determine which students belong to a teacher, because the usual relationship (students that belong to the course of the teacher) does not work in this scenario.

It could be a number of ways, for example
  • Same cohort or a specific cohort
  • Using user-context relations (parent role)
  • Something bespoke (e.g. students that have the teachers username in a profile field)

I’m currently in favour of the user context relationships, because that seems to make best use of existing architecture within moodle and would allow using the existing roles/permissions system easily to define who may do what.

But maybe that’s missing the reality of how platforms are built?

If you (or anybody else with a similar problem) is interested, let me know!

Hope this helps

Stefan 

In reply to Stefan Scholz

by Javier Tejera -
Hi Stefan,

Unfortunately, no solution was found, so we are just centralising the enrolment (admin or manager are enrolling users to specific courses; teachers do not have the enrolment capability).

Good to know that you are working on this, it will be really useful I believe!

Javier
In reply to Javier Tejera

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Javier,

Sorry to hear that you did not find a moodle-based solution but glad you could at least handle it elsewhere.

We’re making good progress on our solution. Anyone’s interested and wants to know when we’re ready, just reply to this thread or contact me directly.

Or watch out for a plugin called “Magic” 😉

All the best
Stefan