Listening quiz - audio replay restriction

Listening quiz - audio replay restriction

by Laura Albertini -
Number of replies: 8

Hello everyone,

I am setting up a listening quiz for a module.

My question is: is it possible to restrict the number of times an audio or video is played by the student?

Thank you for your help.

Laura

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Laura Albertini

Re: Listening quiz - audio replay restriction

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Laura,

I'm not sure there is a plugin for what you want to do.

If you want a secure solution, it has to be written in PHP and you will have to find a programmer to do it.

If your students aren't too computer savvy, you can use the client-side JavaScript solution I'm proposing at https://moodleformulas.org/course/view.php?id=77&section=81 ↗. The code and explanations will follow next week.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You can do this with POODLL (a paid certified integration)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Laura Albertini

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Laura,

Dominque's solution looks fine.

You can also try Poodll's solution here:
https://demo.poodll.com/mod/page/view.php?id=244 (it will log you in automatically)

In both cases a page refresh will probably reset the play count.

(I am from Poodll)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Been wondering. Couldn't you make the player both, log a play event, and check the logs for how many play events have been executed, so that a page refresh becomes moot?
In reply to AL Rachels

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Al. Yes you could do something like that. It has been talked about a few times, but we never got a project through to implementation. It would need to be a dedicated plugin (question type?) I think. Because you would need to be able to reset the play count for users who messed up, and possibly track up until which point students played if they stopped halfway.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Without a doubt, a PHP solution would be desirable. In the meantime, here's a JavaScript workaround.

In my first solution, the play counter is saved in web storage (Window.localStorage). A simple page refresh (F5) will not reset it. However, the counter can be reset by clearing web storage. It's not obvious for those who have never done it, but it's child's play for those who know how to do it.

AL, In your last post, you gave me an idea: to tie the number of plays to the number of tries of a question. It's a workaround, not perfect but it works reasonably well. This new solution is more robust: 1) without JavaScript, the audio player doesn't work, so students wouldn't disable it, and 2) web storage is not used, so clearing it doesn't change anything. I would say it then becomes quite complicated for average students to bypass the maximum number of plays.

The script is placed in a short-answer question, which counts as 0 points. The number of remaining plays is given in the info block. More information can be found at the address below.

You can try a sample listening quiz with a limited number of audio plays at https://moodleformulas.org/course/view.php?id=77§ion=83 ↗. Your comments would be appreciated especially if you are able to bypass the maximum number of plays.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
For the teaching situation where I used to work before retiring, this version would be just what I needed, especially since I used timed quizzes with a reward based on shortest completion time, thus making it not worth their while to try and find a way to cheat the system.
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Dominique Bauer -

Justin,

In both cases a page refresh will probably reset the play count.

Let me help you get the facts straight.

With your Poodll's certified paid solution, a page refresh definitely does reset the play count.

With my solution, a page refresh definitely does not reset the play count.

Cheers.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)