Is there really no report for first/second/third attempt grades?

Is there really no report for first/second/third attempt grades?

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Is there no repost for first/second/third attempt grades in Moodle?

Something like this:

Assignment 1 First attempt Second attempt Third attempt
Student A 8,4
Student B 3,7 6,4 7,4

And so on...

It seemed so logical to me, until one of our teachers showed me how difficult it actually is to get a list like that. They need to click open every single grade screen of every single student, go back to previous attempts to see former grades.

Is this really the only option?

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: Is there really no report for first/second/third attempt grades?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
You can do that with custom SQL.
In reply to Rick Jerz

Yes, I know. With this module right? https://moodle.org/plugins/block_configurable_reports

But... I'm just surprised. As a teacher you really like to see the student's learning progress. Did not know you could not see this in Moodle standard and need custom plugins and custom SQL to create a learning report.

by Rick Jerz -
Kind of as you state, Richard. The "Configurable Reports" plugin is a tool that helps you keep your queries organized and accessible. However, you still need to write your SQL.

A different way to get to students' attempts is to go to the quiz, see the attempts, and then "export" them to CSV. Then you can use a spreadsheet tool to sort the data. However, putting the data into the format that you desire can be a little trickier. This method avoids the need to write SQL.
In reply to Rick Jerz

Hi Rick!
I know this can be done for the Quiz, but I'm talking about the assignment. Anything like that also possible for assignment (like download csv file with grades of multiple attempts?)

by Rick Jerz -
I am puzzled. I do not know that assignments allow "multiple attempts" but maybe I am not seeing it. Which Assignment setting are you using to allow more than one attempt at an assignment? "Maximum number of uploads?"
In reply to Rick Jerz

Are you serious?

At our University a student gets two attempts every year at an assignment.

by Rick Jerz -
Yep, I was serious. I have never used that setting. There are many features that I haven't used.

For Quizzes, each quiz attempt is logged in the database. Since I have never used this multiple attempts feature for Assignments, I cannot say how each attempt is logged.

Well, I have run out of ideas for you Richard, except the suggestion to use custom SQL.

Perhaps someone else will jump in with more suggestions.

by John Provasnik -
My understanding of Assignment is that regardless of how many new "Attempts" it is limited to, students can still endlessly edit the existing attempt (unless the teacher manually locks it), meaning each "attempt" could have multiple grades associated with it. I think the grade history report is the only place that would track the changes over time since grades and attempts are not one-to-one like with Quiz.
In reply to John Provasnik

by Rick Jerz -
Multiple attempts for a quiz seems to make a lot of sense to me, but I am still trying to grasp the concept of multiple attempts for an Assignment, and the relationship to due dates.
In reply to Rick Jerz

@Rick,

You can set individual due dates or set due dates per group. Attempts for an assignment are the same as for a quiz.

Like I said, at our University an assignment can be made 4 times a year. The student chooses 2 attempts per year. These attempts are stored in our SIS.

We make advanced use of web services in Moodle. An assignment in Moodle for example is automatically created by the SIS. Students use an app to subscribe in the SIS to assignment-attempts, Moodle will follow this.

@John,
What you are saying is not correct when you use deadlines. After a deadline, an assignment attempt can not be altered. Also, we can lock assignment attempts with web services.

We use Moodle as a Learning Management System. Alle administrative tasks are done in our SIS and Moodle follows these actions event-based. Entering a grade for example in Moodle is immediately synchronised to an external SIS. Both Moodle and SIS respect the attempts here as well: third attempt in Moodle is also third attempt in SIS.

by Rick Jerz -
For a quiz, you can decide how you want to score the multiple attempts (e.g., average, highest, lowest, etc.). But for an assignment, it appears that it is the last score from what I can see. As you describe how your Moodle is coordinated with your SIS, it would appear to me that the data that you desire is somewhere, you just want it in a certain form.

If my observation that the last attempt is what Moodle keeps, previous attempt scores seem a bit irrelevant. I sure you have your rationale why it is useful to know that one student went from a 2 to an 8, whereas another student went from a 5 to an 8 (for example).