write performance issue with OCI FSS

write performance issue with OCI FSS

by Khaled Atteya -
Number of replies: 13

Hi,

I setup moodle on OCI , and I use OCI FSS as a shared storage for the App servers for moodle data.

When I launched moodle benchmark testing , it showed that the "write file performance" took around "22" seconds.

And when I create a custom NFS server , it showed that the "write file performance" took around only "7" seconds.

Why do there are a high difference between OCI FSS and custom NFS server , while the OCI FSS is the best for disk IOPS and in network throughput ?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Khaled Atteya

Re: write performance issue with OCI FSS

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Assuming OCI FSS refers to the Oracle File System, I believe it is optimised for storing a small number of large files. Moodle by contrast requires a file system that is good at dealing with a large number of small files. Is there a reason you have selected OCI FSS?
In reply to Marcus Green

by Khaled Atteya -
"Is there a reason you have selected OCI FSS?"
The customer requested that.

Thank you for your clarification

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have worked with Moodle and OCI FSS (not my choice), and moving to a more standard file system (EXT4?), did improve performance. I understand the situation of having to deal with customer requests sad
In reply to Marcus Green

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Generally speaking, I find the best (if boring) solution is to use what everybody else does.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Marcus Green -
While that is quite a good rule of thumb, I remember resisting the cry "but everyone uses MS IE" smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Please post full screen-shots of the moodle benchmark outputs.

Also relevant: What kind of hardware? Details of the system software.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Khaled Atteya -

Hi

Thank you for your support

I uploaded two screenshots for benchmark results , one with OCI FSS & other with Custom NFS.

I am using OCI instance (para virtualized VM)

Operating system is : Oracle linux 8.5

Processor is : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Platinum 8167M CPU @ 2.00GHz

Attachment with-OCI-FSS.png

There is only one screen-shot, and it misses the final line and possibly comments. The full report looks like this: [Moodle Benchmark] Is it applicable to non-x86 architectures?

May be you are interested in too System Benchmark Writing file performance +/- 40.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Khaled Atteya -
I attached the extension for the result for OCI FSS .

As well as I attached the result for Custom NFS, but it is not a complete report because I can't switch the moodle data now.
Attachment custom-NFS.png
Attachment with-OCI-FSS-the extension.png

That screen-shot too is not complete. Whatever.

The "better" file system takes 7.3 times longer that the accepted limit of the Moodle Bench and the bad one 21.9 times? That has no future unless you bring those time down below the accepted limit. I know nothing of OCI FSS, can't remember seeing it here. In the discussion I linked previously, there is a link to a forum post with good mounting options for NFS.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If your disk subsystem is remotely suspect then I would recommend deploying a proper cache server (e.g. Redis). Moodle's cache performance is critical and the default disk cache will destroy Moodle performance if it's not quick enough.