Negative Grading

Negative Grading

Akash Kumar -
Erantzun kopurua: 8
Hi,

I am working on an e-learning project for a coaching institute where i studied for college entrance examinations. I chose moodle because i heard and read a lot about it online. It indeed is a nice application for e-learning and provides a lot of functionality. Everything would have been great had i not hit a roadblock in the form of negative grading. Apparently the quiz module does not support negative marking for non-adaptive single attempt tests.

Moodle doesn't allow for overall negating marking for a question and therefore for the whole test. This is contrary to the system used in many state and nationwide exams that have ranking system and students get ranks based even on their overall negative grade! Therefore, i want the option to give negative marks for a question if the student selects wrong option(s). Yes, a student can get overall negative marks in such a test. Please take a look at the following sample questions to get an idea of what i am talking about:

In Multiple Choice Multiple Answer Questions:
----------------------------------------------

One foot equals?

(a) 12 in          +50% (Correct)
(b) 30.48 cm    +50% (Correct)
(c) 0.56 yard    -50% (Incorrect)
(d) 0.13 mile    -50% (Incorrect)

First off, I want to have the choice to select partial/non-partial grading for correct options when i create a new question. Please read below and this would make much more sense.

Let's consider the scenarios when partial grading is enabled:

when student selects only (a) or (b), he gets +50%
when student selects (a) and (b), he gets 100%
when student selects (c) or (d), he gets -50%
when student selects (c) and (d), he gets -100%
when student selects (a), (b) and (c), he gets +50%
when student selects (a), (b) and (d), he gets +50%
when student selects (a), (b), (c) and (d) he gets 0%
when student selects ((a) or (b)) and ((c) or(d)), he gets 0%

Now let's consider the scenarios when non-partial grading is enabled:

when student selects only (a) or (b), he gets 0%
when student selects (a) and (b), he gets 100%
when student selects (c) or (d), he gets -50%
when student selects (c) and (d), he gets -100%
when student selects (a), (b) and (c), he gets +50%
when student selects (a), (b) and (d), he gets +50%
when student selects (a), (b), (c) and (d) he gets 0%
when student selects ((a) or (b)) and ((c) or(d)), he gets -50%

I guess this concludes my requirements for multiple choice multiple answer questions.

In Multiple Choice Single Answer Questions:
----------------------------------------------

What is the capital of USA?

(a) New York            -33.3% (Incorrect)
(b) Las Vegas            -33.3% (Incorrect)
(c) Washington DC    +100% (Correct)
(d) Chicago              -33.3% (Incorrect)

Even though grading in multiple choice single answer questions is self-explanatory, let's consider all the scenarios just to avoid confusion:

when student selects (a), he gets -33.3%
when student selects (b), he gets -33.3%
when student selects (c), he gets +100%
when student selects (d), he gets -33.3%

I have to get this kind of grading working as soon as possible so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am also willing to pay a reasonable amount for this job.
Please reply asap if you or somebody you know can help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

~Akash

(Edited by Martin Dougiamas - original submission Monday, 10 April 2006, 03:29 AM)

Puntuazioen batez bestekoa: -
Akash Kumar(e)ri erantzunda

Re: Negative Grading

Akash Kumar -
bump.

gustav, do you not have an answer for me?

I have tried fiddling with the code after reading the documentation but haven't had any success yet. I would reealllyy appreciate a reply.

Thanks,
Akash

Peter Bulmer -
Akash:
It's great that you find Moodle a good fit overall, and it's great that you want to contribute back to the project.

Refering to the feature you're after, it seems to be a common request, but nobody has developed this functionality yet (afaik)
If you're keen to code this yourself, you'll want to look at the exisiting question types (mod/quiz/questiontypes/<qtype here>/questiontype.php)
The existing ones are multiple choice, and multiple answer I believe.
It might be better to add a new question type to acheive what you want, since it could be hard to add your functionality to existing qtypes, without removing a feature anybody else uses.

The other thing to consider is that many people want to be able to add questions with slightly different functionality to your MCMA, often they want a kind of "Choose all that apply" type of question, giving full marks if the student chooses all of the right answers, and none of the wrong answers - and giving zero marks otherwise.

Hope this helps.
Peter Bulmer(e)ri erantzunda

Peter Bulmer -
Silly me, multianswer is 'cloze', not multi-choice multianswer (MCMA).
MCMA and MCSingle Answer are both taken care of in MultipleChoice qtype.
Peter Bulmer(e)ri erantzunda

Akash Kumar -
Thanks for your suggestions, Peter.

I am going to try creating a new question type as you have mentioned. I hope this will solve my problem.

(Edited by Martin Dougiamas - original submission Friday, 14 April 2006, 05:04 AM)

Απάντηση: Re: Negative Grading

aggelos panagiotakis -
have you solved the problem yet?
aggelos panagiotakis(e)ri erantzunda

Απάντηση: Re: Negative Grading

aggelos panagiotakis -
i have made a small modification of the 1.8.4+ version and created a new question type named NegativeMultichoice. I also changed the lib/questionlib.php so that it reflects my changes.
I am including the file so anyone can use it.
I tested it but i would appreciate anyone who find some bugs in it before i use it on my server. Thank you.

aggelos panagiotakis(e)ri erantzunda

Re: Απάντηση: Re: Negative Grading

Iyappan Krishnaswamy -
Hi aggelos

I had downloaded your zip file and working with version 1.8.4+. It works fine till the questions are added and when I try to add the answer it is returning an error.

Can u please help me in this regard.

Thanks

Iyappan
Iyappan Krishnaswamy(e)ri erantzunda

Re: Απάντηση: Re: Negative Grading

Tomislav Raseta -
Hi, I also downloaded your .rar file and I am working with version 1.8.4+. Unfortunatelly, when I try to add a question type NegativeMultichoice with answers I got an error saying that this question cannot be added.

Is there *any* other implementation of negative marks in multichoice questions?

I need to implement this for a partial exam and other than many pages of philosophical discussions and solutions for Moodle 1.5 and 1.6 I couldn't find a working one.

Help, anyone?