Rubric much too small/narrow on grading interface page - solution

Rubric much too small/narrow on grading interface page - solution

by Monique Whitaker -
Number of replies: 12

I've been having this problem, which makes it terribly difficult to mark students' work with a rubric, as there's no way to resize the rubric box. Our IT are'nt very helpful and we can't make any modifications to Moodle or add any plug-ins. But I finally figured out a rough work-around solution, which I thought might help someone else in this situation.

The problem:

Lots of space on either side of the student's submission, but only about a third of the rubric is showing!

To fix it, at least temporarily: Go to Tools > Browser Tools > Web Developer Tools (this is on Firefox, but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure it out on other browsers)

This window will appear. First, click the little arrow in a box (circled) in the top left of the window. Then, click on the section of the page outlined in purple that the arrow's pointing to. Make sure it's this exact section, or it won't work. There are a lot of similar-looking ones, right nearby.

Go to the middle section, of the Web Developer Tools window, and scroll down until you see this:

Then, all you need to do is change 'left: 70%' to 'left: 50%' and width 30%' to 'width 53%'. Those are the numbers that worked for me, but it'll depend on how wide your rubric is and the size of your screen, etc. Some settings (like 'width 50%') resulted in an unusable set-up, but for some reason 53% worked. People who actually know what is going on could perhaps comment to explain?

Here's the final outcome:
The important thing to remember is that, no matter what you do, you can't 'break' the page. If it all goes to hell, just refresh the page and it'll be back to normal!

The new settings will stay put when you choose 'save and show next', pick another user from the 'change user' dropdown, or change the filtering of submissions. But it'll revert to the normal settings if you refresh the page or close and reopen it. But once you have the hang of it, it's quick and easy to fix it again.

Hope this helps someone struggling like I was!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Monique Whitaker

Re: Rubric much too small/narrow on grading interface page - solution

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I think there is a button to effectively zoom in and out of the grid/submission though I cannot recall where it is. I also supect there is a way of automating what you describe, possibly through a thing called greasemonkey.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Monique Whitaker -

You can pop it out using the crossed arrows button on the top right of the rubric, but in our installation of Moodle it then covers most of the page, including the student's submission. And there's no way to move that box around!

I don't know how to automate it. But presumably you'd still have to paste that code in each time you refreshed the page, right? And this way really takes so little time that I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Of course, ideally, they'd just fix this on the backend and we wouldn't need any jerry-rigged work-arounds.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
My apologies, I was distracted when I made my first reply. Like you have never found the popout option terribly useful. I was thinking of the buttons at the bottom, which entirely hides the student view but gives a better view of the grading form. As you imply it would be nice if the size of the windows was clicky draggy "out of the box" the very start.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Marcus Green -
If you go to
yourmoodle.com/admin/settings.php?section=additionalhtml

And add the following to the within head box

<style>
.path-mod-assign [data-region='grade-panel']{
left: 50%;
width:53%;
}
</style>

It will apply the styles but they will be preserved for all users. 

In reply to Marcus Green

by Monique Whitaker -
Thanks, that sounds good - but I don't think we have the option to do that on ours, unless I'm missing something. Going to that url, for our moodle site, just came back with an error page, and I can't find anywhere, either in the settings for this assignment or for the course as a whole, that gives me the option to add additional html.

Is there somewhere else I could look?

by Marcus Green -
You need to have admin access. Go to the admin page of your site (normally whateveryourdomainis.com/admin), then search on the terms additional html in the search box and one of the returned links should be what you want.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Monique Whitaker -
Ah, right - I don't have admin access, and IT won't change anything except in their yearly update.

by Marcus Green -
I can understand the caution, but as it is a very focussed change to CSS (i.e. display rather than functional code), you might ask them to consider it for their yearly date.

But assuming that is not an option there is a potential Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey solution which might work but comes with the drawback that a user would have to do some things with their browser (install an extension on Chrome),for it to happen and users might be unable/unwilling to do that. If you think that is a possibility I will investigate that approach further. It would ben automatically applying those changes you described when a user visits a page.

Yes Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey are odd names...
In reply to Marcus Green

by Monique Whitaker -
I'm really not comfortable using Chrome. There're just way too many serious security and privacy concerns. And the problem isn't something I need to deal with often enough to make it worth much effort to get a longer-term fix at this stage.

But I really appreciate your efforts and willingness to help!

I'm certainly going to ask them to fix it in the next update.

by Marcus Green -
"There're just way too many serious security and privacy concerns"
What do you use for a browser?
In reply to Marcus Green

by T K -
I am facing the same problem on my Moodle 4.0, and i tried this settings on my additional HTML and I just can get it working.

The width of the marking rubrics is so narrow on my assignment & grading page its ridiculous.
I also tried the CSS in my Boost Union theme but it does not work still.
Anyone can help?

/* Grading for rubrics - make the KDSC marking rubric table wide for tutors to use */
.path-mod-assign .fullwidth[data-region="grade-panel"] [data-region="grade"] { max-width:none;}

/* Make the grade rubric wide for students to see it better */
.gradingform_rubric: width: 1300px;
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Monique Whitaker -
Ah, right. I tried those, but it still meant constantly having to toggle the display for every single point, to go from what the student's written to the rubric and back...