I've received a spam email from my own admin email address

I've received a spam email from my own admin email address

by Penguin Razzmatazz -
Number of replies: 33

I have received a spam email from the admin email address I specified for my newly created Moodle site. I have several concerns.

1. How did the spammer obtain my admin email address? I haven't told about my site to anyone. How did they figure out I've just created the site?

My site is hosted by Hostinger, and its domain name (i.e. its website address) has been purchased from GoDaddy. My admin email address is admin@xxx, where xxx is the domain name purchased from GoDaddy. Is it possible the spammer was able to figure out that this domain name had been recently purchased, and then they simply tried various common usernames?

Should I notify Hostinger and/or GoDaddy about this incident?

2. Has the spammer been able to penetrate my site and send the email from within? Is there a way to check this from the site's logs?

3. If I or my site's future users mark this email as spam, then all future legitimate emails that I will send from this email address will be automatically sent to the spam folder, or deleted. How do I deal with this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Penguin Razzmatazz

Re: I've received a spam email from my own admin email address

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The truth is in the email headers.

Spoofing email addresses is trivial. And.... when you say "spam" what do you mean, exactly? Spam can be in the eye of the beholder. 

On a side note... I don't suppose you'd consider changing your profile to reflect your real name (I'm guessing it isn't at the moment)? It's nice to know who we're talking to 
Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Penguin Razzmatazz -

> The truth is in the email headers.

Could you elaborate please?

> When you say "spam" what do you mean, exactly? Spam can be in the eye of the beholder.

I mean unsolicited email by (ostensibly) a human being (he mentions his full name, and lists his email address, and his LinkedIn profile, among other things), supposedly sent from my own email address which I have not yet made known to a single soul.

> I don't suppose you'd consider changing your profile to reflect your real name (I'm guessing it isn't at the moment)? It's nice to know who we're talking to.

Some people have unconventional names in real life, officially registered and all. I may be one of them. Either way, I prefer to keep my Moodle.org profile as it is. I don't know who I'm talking with either, nor do I know if "Howard Miller" is your real name, but I'm not going to look you up, nor ask you for a proof of your identity, because I don't think it has any relevance to our interaction in this forum. As I see it, what matters is the content of your posts, not your real life identity.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The full headers will show you were it came from - if you are concerned that your site might have been hacked. It's unlikely. It'll just be a spoofed 'from' address. 

Well... it most certainly is my real name, I'm the forum moderator and - given the large number of posts you have made - it was a polite request. I was going for friendly in fact wink
In reply to Howard Miller

by Penguin Razzmatazz -
I'm sorry, but I don't decipher nuances well when delivered in written form. So just to make it clear: are you threatening to ban me from this forum if I don't provide my real name? If this is the case, go ahead, because I'm not going to do this.

by Howard Miller -
Ok - this stops right here. I just asked if you if you would consider changing to your real name. I ask a lot of people that. It makes the discussions more personal if we understand who we are talking to. We are nice to each other around here - whether we like it or not. Any "threatening" posts will be deleted - whoever they come from.

For your reference the code of conduct is here - https://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Moodle.org_forums_Code_of_Conduct
Average of ratings:Useful (7)

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Fact: within 1 minute of a server being on the internet, it's had it's first poke and probe.  Also within minutes, a valid registered domain name in a DNS system ... any DNS system ... 'announces' it's existence to the globe.  Search engines have already found it and will come back soon to attempt indexing.

The initial user setup for Moodle is 'admin' - everyone in the globe knows that.

Moodle uses phpmailer by default IF no SMTP server is setup to relay mail.

So can only suggest 2 things for you to inspect/explore, cause no one here in these forums can do anything with the information provided.

1. check your servers logs ... got a mail log?   Check that!

2. The message you got has a header ... that's all the information from the subject line of that message upwards to the beginning of the file (message).   Check out each 'Received by' line and note the server.   That was the 'path' of the message that arrived at your inbox.

How to read headers of messages depends upon what you are using for a mail client and where.   GoDaddy?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=how+to+read+header+of+an+email

Yes, you are correct in being concerned bout your moodle servers ability to communicate with students ... not unusial for students to have a very restrictive mail setup and valid email's from your server could very well end up in their spam folder or just dropped on the floor never to be seen.

So suggest you check out your own setup for mail:

https://mxtoolbox.com/diagnostic.aspx

Am a former administator of email gateways and email servers for some 36 school districts in a wide area private network  and can tell you that alone is a full time job ... and, unfortunately, I was never ever successful i stopping spam 100% - mission impossible back then! sad   Better today ... but still not 100%!

Also, for what's worth:

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-15729/product_id-32737/Phpmailer-Project-Phpmailer.html

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
In reply to Ken Task

by Penguin Razzmatazz -
Thank you. I have contacted Hostinger's technical support about this problem. (Hostinger is the company whose servers host my Moodle site.) Hopefully they can help me check my server and mail logs.

1. Should I replace the string "admin" in my Moodle admin email address, namely "admin@xxx" ("xxx" stands for my domain name), to another, less predictable string? Would this make my email address less vulnerable to spam?

2. I don't know whether I've set up an SMTP server in Moodle to relay mail. How can I check this?

3. If I haven't done this already, should I set up an SMTP server in Moodle to relay my mail? Would it render my email mailbox less vulnerable to spam than with the default phpmailer server?

4. I've followed your advice, to check out my setup for mail using the webpage https://mxtoolbox.com/diagnostic.aspx . I wasn't sure what to enter in the text box captioned "Mail Server". I entered the part of my email address following the "@". Is this what I was supposed to enter there? The output of that tool was: "Unable to connect after 15 seconds."

5. How am I supposed to use the webpage you linked to in the end of your post, namely https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-15729/product_id-32737/Phpmailer-Project-Phpmailer.html ?

by Ken Task -

Wow!   You kinda sound like you 'jump' to the 'eye candy' in anything first, without equal dives into 'unintended consequences' of those jumps!  With 'age/experience' one learns to be a little more cautious! smile

Using phpmailer with no SMTP relay stands a very good chance your mail will land in spam folders of students ... period ... even if it's valid email from your server!  That's because your Moodle server FQDN domain probably doesn't have MX, SPF, DKIM, etc. records in DNS ... an STMP relay setup would.

https://docs.moodle.org/400/en/Mail_configuration

Just keep playin' with the mxtoolbox ... these forums are not meant for tutorials on such tools.   Bascially, the box ask for the FQDN of server - prompt does say 'Mail Server' ... that ain't an address! smile

Well, you posted in moodle forums about spam coming from your own moodle server (yet to be determined really) ... so I assume, since you are so into privacy, that you would want to be informed if Moodle was using vulnerable anything ... phpmailer in this case.

I didn't see anything that would cause alarm in there ... just bookmark it for future investigations.

Come on now 'Razamataz' ... time to role up your sleeves and dig/learn all sorts of things/hats you didn't realize having an internet server available on public internet would require.

That is a journey .... never ending!

'SoS', Ken

by Penguin Razzmatazz -
Update: Hostinger's clever technical support guy managed to trace the source of the security breach that enabled the spam email I'd received: it's the unprotected contact form on my Moodle site's homepage. (See screenshots below.)

I've conducted a little experiment, and sent myself an email via this contact form. The result: the title as well as the first few lines of the email I received were identical to those of the spam email. It also explains why the "From" field of the spam email specified my Moodle site's admin email address. This validates, in my eyes, the technical support guy's diagnosis.

How can I hide this contact form from my Moodle site's homepage?

The popup menu on my Moodle site's homepage that contains a link to an unprotected contact form.

The unprotected contact form that is accessible from my Moodle site's homepage, through which the spam email was sent.

by Ken Task -

First ... it's not a "security breach"!

Hide?!!!  How would your teachers/students get support from you?

So, I have an idea ... ask the 'clever' people where you host how to have a contact email form in any application (Moodle, WordPress, Joomla, you name it).   Hmmmm ... I smell a sales opportunity for hosting provider!!!  Wonder if they offer MachForms?

Are you skipping the advice about setting up an SMTP relay?  May as well ask ... have you setup a cron job? (you check - no response needed here!)

Hint: the valid admin/contact email address is an inbox on localhost.  That mail never leaves your server and doesn't require port 25 - it's internal mail ... which I hope your server setup can do!

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
In reply to Ken Task

by Ken Task -

Follow up ... for true security of your site ... your web server logs would have recorded the IP address that hit that contact form.  Search your web access logs for the url to that form.  

Find out what that IP address is and do a whois to find the range of IP addresses (don't ask me how to do that, please .. part of admin of a server you should learn on your hosting situation).   Consider blocking/blackholing that IP or range of IP addresses (if that comes from another server - could be part of a bot network that does phishing).   They will or it will be back to poke and probe some more!

If you need assistance with that suggestion, contact tech support where you host.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Ken Task -

Follow up to follow up ... info on the only things you mentioned early to guide this discussion ... GoDaddy and hostinger

https://www.godaddy.com/domains/full-domain-privacy-and-protection?isc=goopr105&cdtl=c_16383871369.g_133503435733.k_kwd-349173523838.a_583965318600.d_c.ctv_g&bnb=b&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3viUkMSD-AIVV__jBx3tIAUxEAAYASACEgL93PD_BwE

https://www.hostinger.com/free-domain

https://www.hostinger.com/email-hosting

Looks like your hosting provider has made a promise to customers:
https://www.hostinger.com/domain-checker
Your Privacy is Taken Care Of

Protect your personal data with Hostinger. Our domain privacy protection service will keep your personal information hidden from spammers.

Usually, when you register a domain name, your personal information is available on public databases such as WHOIS.

To keep you safe, we’ll replace your personal data with generic site information for maximum security.

Comment: RFC Guidelines for Domain Names ... with entities that provide such a service, they create for you a form that includes a billing contact as well as a technical contact - both of those could be an email address + a phone number.

All this to say, you, un-knowingly, could have provided (or your provider ... admin@ is very common) the email address used in a phishing message.

BTW, the header of that message would have included a line showing the script that was used on Moodle.   If you get notifications email from your Moodle server, look at the full headers for those.    So I'd still advise learning how to read email headers!

And do know the battle vs spam is forever on-going! :|

'SoS', Ken

Ok this topic has been 'beaten to death' ... think I'll go back to my own issues now!  Best of luck to the OP on quest for total and complete privacy! smile

In reply to Ken Task

by Penguin Razzmatazz -
> Hide?!!! How would your teachers/students get support from you?

I only want to hide the "contact site support" link from unregistered users. Once a user has logged in, it's OK if see the link.

by Ken Task -

So you want 'conditional' ... when logged on ... users can contact you ... when not logged on ...  no one can contact you.  

Uhhh ... more food for thought/comment/suggestion .... do you plan to show anything of a 'front page' in your moodle?   Guess users interested in your 'offerings' will be informed through some other site which will provide information ... like a wordpress ... or through some email campaign ... which some folks might consider ... wait for it .... SPAM! smile

If you use Rick's css suggestion, remember where and how you did it ... in case you change your mind later (or sooner than later).

'SoS', Ken

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
It appears that you are using Moodle 4.0. Add the following CSS to the Boost theme CSS to completely remove the "?" (question mark). Then decide how you will let folks know where to get support in different ways.

/* Moodle "element" changes.
------------------------------ */
/* Remove the "?," bottom-right side */
footer#page-footer {display: none;}

If you are wondering, this is my real name.  I have also been getting some spam from myself, but not from Moodle, just from all over the place.  Let me know if you figure out how to stop this.
Average of ratings:Useful (5)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Penguin Razzmatazz -
Thank you for your suggestions.

> Add the following CSS to the Boost theme CSS to completely remove the "?" (question mark). Then decide how you will let folks know where to get support in different ways.

I only want to hide the "contact site support" link from unregistered users. Once a user has logged in, it's OK if they see the link.

Will the changes you suggested to the CSS remove the question mark icon only from the site's homepage (= the page an unregistered user lands on upon browsing to my site's URL), or from all pages? It is only the former behavior that I am interested in. And not quite that either: I don't mind it if the question mark icon and its popup menu appear to unregistered users, as long as the "contact site support" link within this popup menu be hidden from them.

> If you are wondering, this is my real name.

No, I wasn't wondering whether this was your real name. It is not I who has shown curiosity about the real life identities of the users of this forum.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I too found your pseudonym annoying: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=434934#p1750158.

I know that the forum guidelines do not forbid pseudonyms. I personally react with empathy or antipathy according to the pseudonym - and obviously according to its owner's behaviour too. The choice is yours.

FYI: My name and the person are real - real as far as an existence could be "real".
wink

by Rick Jerz -
I don't know how to hide only the "contact site support" link from unregistered users. Right now, for me, it is all or nothing. And I am hiding it because of the other information it contains. I do like giving students my support information, but I do this by adding an item in the top bar (see graphic). This gives me a lot more flexibility. And I hope that someday that "?" feature is replaced with a "back to top" graphic.

I believe that my suggested CSS change is sitewide.  When I want to do something within a course, I... well, do it within the course.

Moodle is a worldwide organization with folks from many countries. To make this enormous group of people seem smaller and friendlier, you will see that many of us don't mind letting others know who they are. I find it nice to know that Howard is over in the U.K., Ken down in Texas, and Visvanath over in Switzerland. We are all real people trying to help real people. When we see someone using a pseudonym, it makes us less willing to help because we are not sure if the person is real. None of us are "paid" support, so we can choose who we want to help.

At some point in the future, I recommend that you attend a MoodleMoot. You can connect with some great "real" people. It helped me learn about Moodle and get questions answered (in person!)

Attachment Menu Item.png
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Penguin Razzmatazz -
Thanks, Rick.

How can I add the piece of code you listed above to the Boost CSS file? Can I modify this file from inside the Moodle site UI, or do I need to access it directly on the server? In the latter case, what is the file path?

> Moodle is a worldwide organization with folks from many countries. To make this enormous group of people seem smaller and friendlier, you will see that many of us don't mind letting others know who they are.

There are many worldwide organizations run (fundamentally or effectively) by volunteers from many countries that foster a sense of close-knit community without sacrificing online privacy. Take, for example, reddit, Stack Exchange, and Discord.

In none of the above platforms would any user presume to ask another user to disclose their real identity in public. In fact, if a user asked this of another user, it would likely lead to a ban, and if a moderator did so, it would be a veritable scandal.

In none of the above platforms would a user's username affect the way they are treated by the other members of the community, including when experts are involved as in Stack Exchange and some subreddits such as /r/AskHistorians, /r/AskDocs, and many others. If a user of these sites proclaimed that they would give differential treatment to other users based on whether their username is authentic or not, they would likely be banned.

So the culture that seems to have taken root in the present forum, of gung ho disregard to online privacy and disrespect of those, like me, who value theirs, is quite unusual in my experience, and regardless of the merits such an atmosphere may have, it is certainly not a prerequisite for a successful international online community.

by Howard Miller -
Personally, I think this is getting incredibly boring. I direct *everybody* to my previous "this stops now" post. Please be assured I will delete any posts that contain even a fleeting reference to revealing real names. You don't want to reveal your real name - I don't think there can be anybody who doesn't get that now.

Now we're all going to shut up about it and get back to discussing Moodle.

by Rick Jerz -
Penguin, the best thing to do is to read the Moodle docs about Boost and its CSS dialog boxes. Nothing fancy going on. It's a setting.

Sorry that I can't help you any more with the rest of your paragraphs.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Penguin Razzmatazz -
OK. Thanks. Thanks to your hint, I have found the area in the Moodle site where the Boost theme CSS can be modified, namely Site Administration > Appearence > Themes > Boost > Advanced settings. There are two text boxes on that page - "Raw initial SCSS" and "Raw SCSS" - in which code can be entered to be injected to the Boost theme CSS. I tried to enter your piece of code in both of them (not simultaneously), and in both cases the question mark icon disappeared. This is great. Thanks again. Is there a good reason to prefer one of these text boxes over the other for the present use case?

The Site Administration page in which the Boost theme CSS can be modified.

by Rick Jerz -
Penguin, put that CSS that I gave you into the Raw SCSS box. Remove it from the Raw initial SCSS box.

I have been working with Moodle's CSS for probably 5-7 years, and I am still puzzled about when to use these two different CSS textboxes. Almost always, I put my CSS modifications into Raw SCSS. But occasionally, I put it into the Raw initial SCSS. It has never bothered me, but I am sure that this is documented somewhere. Some theme developers, like Gareth (in the UK) or Chris (in Michigan) know. Chris and Gareth are really great with themes (my experts,) and they are real people, too! 😀 👨‍💼

Well, you can see that "when there is a will there is a way."  You can't do these kinds of things with other LMSs.  Moodle is a great product, but make sure to be patient with your learning.

If you haven't done so, consider installing Moodle on your "local" computer so that you can do all kinds of experimenting before implementing changes on your production Moodle.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ken Task -

There's one 'catch 22' to hiding such a thing via CSS ... that has not altered the script used for the form.   If you have that CSS in place and the ? + contact blah button isn't displayed, don't login to the site, but go directly to:

https://site/user/contactsitesupport.php

Can you see it?  Can you still submit the form?

Any un-known user or bot could annoy ya. :|

Possible fixes without altering core code ... block IP addresses seen hiting that php script at the network level - that could be a forever/daily job ... or ... write a redirect ... anything going to /usr/contactsitesupport.php gets redirected to the front page of the moodle.

Another (might be better) ... install PostFix for localhost only.

Create an account on server (sitehelp) that has no ssh login but does have an inbox ... using a rule for mail, have sitehelp mail keep a copy on the server and forward to whatever real email address you like.  No one sees that address.

That last part (forwarding), best done via SMTP server.

My 2 cents!

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Rick Jerz -
Yes, you are correct, Ken. Hiding the "?" doesn't remove it from your site. Your suggestions would help.

I do notice that since I am using reCAPTCHA on my site, this becomes a required element in the form (see graphic). I wonder if Penguin is using reCAPTCHA? And I wonder about your thoughts regarding reCAPTCHA and the OP's original problem?

Attachment Site Contact.png
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ken Task -

Yeah... reCap would work to help prevent bots ... as long is it's simple and not the ones where user is required to click on 'crosswalks' or 'bridges'  in 2 sets of images, etc.

And the OP uses the same jazzamataz @ gmail.com address as his profile shows ... so Google setup should be easy enough ... plus might open OP's eyes to other resources that could be used with Google Workspace.

Back in the day ... can recall bot's at email addresses on a static web page were a problem from day one ... continued to the present.  And there are all sorts of solutions to the issue.   Many choices ...

Here's another idea ... re-write rule that traps that url to /usr/blah.php script and redirects to a static featurenotavailable.html page ... which displays the info and suggestions as to what user should do and then auto-magically (after 10 seconds - time enough to read the page) forwards to desired location ... could be back to login page or to another form (MachForms) ... for OP that could be a Google Form for his own purpose .... additonal informaton gathering fields ... like using what device, etc.

Anyhoo ...

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Penguin Razzmatazz -
Thanks, Ken. You make a very good point. I've followed your suggestion and redirected the contact form URL to my Moodle site's front page. When combined with Rick's CSS solution, I think it provides a solid protection against emails sent from my own Moodle site by unregistered users. Spam from other sources is easier to deal with. I appreciate your help.

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
"only want to hide the "contact site support" link from unregistered users. Once a user has logged in, it's OK if they see the link."

The css solution from Rick will hide the footer from the site for everyone. You may or may not want that.

This new support contact form works as described in Site admin > Server > Support contact > Support page: "A link to this page will be provided for users to contact the site support. If the field is left blank then a link to a support form will be provided instead."

So, this default form appears from the footer both before and after login UNLESS you specify some other url to direct users to for support.

My solution is to put a URL here to a support page that only shows up for logged in users. A couple of traditional Moodle methods for this are: to create a support course on the site open to all users and put the support contact and help info there; or add the Main menu block and then use it to create a site wide resource such as a Page that has the information; or you can add the HTML block (now renamed in 4.0 as the Text block) to do this as well. If you have the "Force login" turned on, then anything you put on the Front page (aka Site home) will also work since only logged in users can see that too. Any url will work here as long as is only viewable to logged in users.

If you want to get really fancy, you can create a static html page or an interactive form page outside of Moodle altogether and put that in the setting. Or if your organization already has some standard support page or site, put that.

Bottom line: if you put a url in this setting, that Contact support link will go there. If you leave it blank, which is the default setting, it will show the default form with the contact information which is publicly available from the login page.
In reply to Ken Task

by Ken Task -

You mentioned 'his LinkedIn profile' ... maybe it was a phishing message.   Do you have a LinkedIn account?   How many connections do you have in LinkedIn?   What's in there ... same 'razamataz'?  Did you mention anything about your jobs/roles in admin'ing Moodles?  

Those questions are not for discussion/response here in these forums ... but consider them 'food for thought'!!!!

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Penguin Razzmatazz -
Thankfully I don't follow Howard Miller's suggestion, and make it a point not to advertise my real name on the Internet, unless it's absolutely relevant. In particular, the name appearing in my LinkedIn profile is different to the one I use in my Moodle site.

by Ken Task -

So the one in your LinkedIn is valid/real ... hmmmm ... in looking at the header, when you learn how to do that, you might find the 'spam' did come from LinkedIn!

We could go on and on about this ... how about you dig some more first and when/if you respond, try to give more specific info as it relates to moodle ...   Other wise, this is kinda like saying 'The thingy broke!  Help me fix the thingy!'    Am not into 'thingies' anymore! smile

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
In reply to Ken Task

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
+1

To the OP, You are so upset about somebody sending you an e-mail manually? And you have a LinkedIn profile?

Is it a coincidence that yesterday a neighbour, a senior person told me that she broke contact with a dishonest person living in a different continent, checked her Facebook account after many many years to find that person is proposed as somebody she might know? She stressed that all her communications with that person were "old fashioned", i.e. through phone, letters, and parcels. She didn't even know that the other person had a Facebook account.