How to add a "Forums" section under the "General" section in a "Weekly format" course?

How to add a "Forums" section under the "General" section in a "Weekly format" course?

by Penguin Razzmatazz -
Number of replies: 8

I've created a course with the "Weekly format" course format. The course has 13 weekly sections, and I've added content to all these sections. The weekly sections are preceded by a "General" section. I'd like to add a "Forums" section under the "General" sections, where I'll add the forums in which the students can interact, and I'd like to reserve the "General" section to the "Announcements" forum and the BigBlueButton activity. However, I can only add the "Forums" section at the end of the weekly sections, and if I then try to move it under the "General" section, the first weekly section disappears. How can I add a "Forums" section under the "General" section while retaining all the weekly sections and the content I've already added to them?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Penguin Razzmatazz

Re: How to add a "Forums" section under the "General" section in a "Weekly format" course?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Perhaps your "words" will convey your question to others, but I don't understand. A screenshot might help. Also, what version of Moodle are you using, and which theme are you using?
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: How to add a "Forums" section under the "General" section in a "Weekly format" course?

by Penguin Razzmatazz -

Q: What version of Moodle are you using?

A: 4.0.1

Q: Which theme are you using?

A: Boost.

Q: A screenshot might help.

A:

A screenshot of the main page of my moodle course. A superimposed arrow indicates the location where I wish to add a section.

by Rick Jerz -
Here is an idea. Add another topic, name it "Forums." Move this new topic right below "General." Then put all your discussions into it.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Penguin Razzmatazz -
I tried to do so, but then the dates in all the section titles advanced by one week.

The result of moving the "Forums" section to the slot following the "General" section: weekly sections dates advance.

by Rick Jerz -
Interesting! I have never used Moodle's "Weekly format" Course format. Maybe this is why?

Moodle does offer a block called "Activities." It includes more than just Forums. You might want to take a look at it. If you right-click on the "Forums" from this tool, copy the URL, you can paste it elsewhere. You can add a URL Resource, and then put this Forum URL into it. (see graphic.)

Alternatively, you could switch to "Topics format" which gives you more control over each topic's headings. But my guess is that you are using Weekly format for some good reason.

Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Attachment All Forums.png
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I like Rick's suggestion about the All forums link but if you want to show weeks but not have them change, then do as he says and switch Topics format and name the Topics as weeks.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Another possibility. Use the weekly format, but edit the course settings to start a week early. Then edit the name of the first week and change it from the listed date, to Forum.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Penguin Razzmatazz -
Thanks. I ended up leaving the "Weekly" format as-is, but manually renaming the titles of the weekly sections. I was concerned that if switched the format to "Topics", I might lose some of the information I had already added to the weekly sections, namely the sections' descriptions.
A screenshot of the weekly sections. I circled a pencil icon next to one of these sections to emphasize the title is editable