Moodle 4 - Category Assign Role

Moodle 4 - Category Assign Role

by Jamie Zelenak-Hyre -
Number of replies: 10

I'm on the struggle bus to find, in Moodle 4, where the ability to assign a role at the Category level is located. Anybody have any insight on this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jamie Zelenak-Hyre

Re: Moodle 4 - Category Assign Role

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
It has moved and been hidden away so it is hard to find.

You will now find this in Manage courses and categories > Edit/gear menu as before, but then choose "Permissions" from the menu where the old Assign roles option used to be. Then you will arrive at the Permissions page. But then in the upper left from the select menu choose "Assign roles" to reach the Assign roles page.

This is especially confusing since "Permissions" is the name of both the menu for all the various roles options we used to have on that menu and is also the name of the particular item for setting permissions overrides. So it looks for all the world as though the other roles related options are missing altogether sad
Attachment screenshot_13385.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Maxwell Santos -

I have the same problem. Nothing happened when I clicked the Assign Role.

I am expecting to allow me to choose users to assign a manager or course creator in this category, but it displays nothing.

In reply to Maxwell Santos

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
This works as expected for me in the default Boost theme in 4.04. (See screenshot).

Since you are using another theme, it could be a theme related issue. Try switching to Boost temporarily to test whether it's the theme or not.

Attachment assignroles.jpg

by Maxwell Santos -
Yeah. I think the problem is the slow response of the theme that I used.
In reply to Maxwell Santos

by Peter Raine -
I had the same problem - I changed themes to boost and the problem persisted.
I select assign roles and nothing happens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
In reply to Peter Raine

by Gregor McNish -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Yup, this is a nuisance -- if you don't wait until the permissions screen fully loads, changing to assign won't do anything; so either refresh page and be patient, or manually change the url from ...permissios.php... to ...assign.php... -- that's what I end up doing!

by Niall Sheehan -
I'm stuck. Working on a Moodle 4.1.4 site, and trying to add the roll of manager to a category, however when I navigate to the Category Permissions as described, and select Assign Roles, NOTHING happens. I've reverted to the Boost theme, I can't find documentation that has enough screenshots to verify that I'm doing things right. It's been 3-4 years since I've had to get into user roles in Moodle. 

Please help. sad
In reply to Niall Sheehan

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
You might need to refresh your screen (wait for it to finish) and then click the Assign Roles again. As mentioned above, if the screen doesn't finish loading and you change the dropdown, it won't do anything.
In reply to Niall Sheehan

by Tish Kirkland -
One hint is to go to the URL and where it says 'permissions', change that word to 'assign'.

/admin/roles/permissions.php?contextid=##

Delete 'permissions' and type in 'assign'

/admin/roles/assign.php?contextid=##

Then hit Enter.