How can I enable font colors in ATTO?

door Penguin Razzmatazz -
Aantal antwoorden: 10

I am aware that using colors as the only way to convey meaning or draw attention is not accessible. However,

1. Colors can be useful to convey meaning or draw attention in combination with other, accessible, ways to convey the same meaning. In fact, depriving teachers from the ability to use colors goes against the UDL principle of providing different ways of representation.

2. Colors can be used for purely aesthetic purposes, and this doesn't detract from the course's accessibility.

3. It is sometimes known that the none of the users of the course has a color-related impairement (for instance if the course is intended only for a select group of friends who know each other well), in which case there's no reason to avoid the use of colors.

Gemiddelde van de beoordelingen:  -
Als antwoord op Penguin Razzmatazz

Re: How can I enable font colors in ATTO?

door Carolina Blackman -
Hey there, go to: Plugins -- Text editors -- Atto HTML editor -- Atto toolbar settings and add the toolbarplugin "fontcolor"
Gemiddelde van de beoordelingen: Useful (1)
Als antwoord op Carolina Blackman

Thanks. I see the "Font colour" row, but I can't figure out how to change its setting. There are no buttons or links in this row, except for the "Uninstall" link, and the row doesn't respond to clicks or double-clicks.

door Rick Jerz -
Foto van Particularly helpful Moodlers Foto van Testers
The plugin that I use is "More font colours," by Nicolas Dunard. It works with Moodle 3.11, and I assume it will work with Moodle 4.0 (but haven't tried, yet.)

16 colours are provided. You can change the colors to anything that you wish within its configuration (see screenshot.)

I have been installing this plugin into my Moodle for the last 3-4 years. I am trying to limit my plugins for Moodle 4.0, and I haven't decided if I am going to add this one. Through the years, I (the instructor) have been the only one to use it. Students don't seem to use it.

Bijlage More font colors.png
Als antwoord op Rick Jerz

Thanks. My site is hosted on MoodleCloud. Will I be able to add this plugin? If not, is there any other way I can enable font colors in ATTO?

door Mary Cooch -
Foto van Documentation writers Foto van Moodle HQ Foto van Particularly helpful Moodlers Foto van Testers Foto van Translators
You won't be able to add the plugin on MoodleCloud since MoodleCloud doesn't allow plugins. I imagine if you know HTML you can change the colours via the code (clicking the code view icon in the Atto editor but I tend not to use colours as they can cause issues with accessibility.
Als antwoord op Mary Cooch

Thanks. I understand why Rick Jerz's solution won't work: because the plugin he proposed is non standard. But is there no way to get Carolina Blackman's solution to work, considering the "Font colour" plugin comes preinstalled, as evidenced by the fact that there's a "Font colour" row under Plugins -> Text editors -> Atto HTML editor -> Atto toolbar settings?

door Rick Jerz -
Foto van Particularly helpful Moodlers Foto van Testers

Following up with what Mary has suggested, you can manually add colors using the HTML view.

<p dir="ltr" style="text-align: left;"><span class="" style="color: rgb(255, 51, 102);">This is a test.&nbsp;</span></p>

<p dir="ltr" style="text-align: left;"><span class="" style="color: rgb(0, 61, 245);">asdfasfdassdf</span></p>

<p dir="ltr" style="text-align: left;"><span class="" style="color: rgb(255, 51, 102);">asdfasdfa</span></p>

<p dir="ltr" style="text-align: left;"><span class="" style="color: rgb(255, 51, 102);"><br></span></p>

The code above produces this:

This is a test. 

asdfasfdassdf

asdfasdfa

Gemiddelde van de beoordelingen: Useful (3)

door Melanie Scott -
Foto van Particularly helpful Moodlers
Do you have tinyMCE in MoodleCloud as an option? I don't use MoodleCloud but I always switch to tinyMCE.
Als antwoord op Melanie Scott

Thanks. This was very helpful. My site is no longer hosted on MoodleCloud. It is now hosted on the servers of a private hosting company that allows Moodle plugins. Per your advice I've switched my default text editor to TinyMCE. TinyMCE's toolbars make a text color chooser available by default. This is exactly what I wanted.

For future reference: To change the default text editor to TinyMCE site wide in Moodle 4.01 navigate to Site administration > Plugins > Text editors > Manage editors, where you'll see a table titled "Available text editors". Using the arrows in the "Up/Down" column, make the "TinyMCE HTML editor" row the top row of the table.

door Melanie Scott -
Foto van Particularly helpful Moodlers
I don't give TinyMCE to everyone...people go a bit nuts when they get access to colors. But yeah, that works.