Email address changing

Email address changing

by Dave Perry -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Testers

I think this is the correct forum for this idea...

I have just changed my moodle.org profile email address to my personal one, due an iminent change of job. And it sent the verification email to my NEW address - why not to the old one, as 'permission to do this'? Or two emails, if the 'new address must verify' step is an anti-spam measure.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Perry

Re: Email address changing

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I tend to think that if you can log in, then you are already verified with the old address and the system just needs to check that the new one is correct. But, I do see the point that if someone has hacked your account, then it could be an issue. But, also, if someone has hacked your account, you probably have more issues anyway!!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dave Perry

Re: Email address changing

by Michael Hawkins -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Testers
Hi Dave,

Emma did a good job covering most of this, but I just wanted to add that one of the reasons we do not send a confirmation/permission email to the old address, is that a couple of valid reasons for changing your email in Moodle could be that the old address was compromised, or that you have otherwise lost access to it. In your example, it's possible you could have forgotten to update it prior to your job change, in which case you would have lost access to the email account and would have no way to verify the email address change.

Although you do need to be logged in to change the email address, we do also have a "best practice" improvement in our backlog to require re-authentication when changing sensitive user details, such as email (see MDL-70177 for further information).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)