Moodle full site automatic backup

Moodle full site automatic backup

by Angel Aquino -
Number of replies: 4

Hi everyone, 

I'm running Moodle 3.9.7 (Build: 20210510) and I have a really basic but important need. I'm trying to backup my full Moodle site on an automatic basis (I'm not talking about just backing up the courses). I've been doing research about how in order to backup the full site I need to back up 3 things: moodledata folder, MySQL and Moodle code. All 3 of those things I can do manually, however, what I'm looking for is a tool, maybe a plugin, that would allow me to back everything up on a weekly basis for example, without me doing it manually.

(In case it is helpful information, my Moodle site is hosted in BlueHost)

Thanks a lot beforehand.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Angel Aquino

Re: Moodle full site automatic backup

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Typically an application can not backup itself. You need to give instructions at the OS level. On Linux/Unix you automate these things by writing a shell script.
In reply to Angel Aquino

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I use the attached script file to automatically backup my entire Moodle every day, keeping six previous copies. I run this script file daily with a CRON entry.

You will need to make the necessary changes to this script file for your own Moodle.  Let me know if anything looks weird.

Other people do it other ways.  This is what has worked for me.

I use another script file on my Mac to regularly download these backups to my home computer (where I have a bigger hard drive.)

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Angel Aquino -
Thanks a lot, let me check that out. I'll let you know if I encounter any issues.
In reply to Angel Aquino

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

@Angel ... sent you a private message with a link contained therein for some moodle scripts.

'SoS', Ken