Disable archive course for students moodle 4?

by Jan Velghe -
Number of replies: 8

I noticed that in Moodle 4, students can put a course on archive. Unfortunately, this also impacts the timeline because then all those tasks/tests are also gone.

Can the admin force a setting somewhere, that students can NOT set a course to archive? 

Best regards,

Jan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jan Velghe

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
To see the archived courses, you'll need to change the "All" filter to "Archived" -- if that is not available, go to Site Admin - Plugins - Blocks - Course Overview and enable "Archived" under Available filters. You can also enabled the "All (including archived)" filter (in place of "All") if you wish. 

I'm not sure how to officially 'turn off' the ability for students to Archive (ie. Hide) a course from the Course Overview block, but you could always hide that option with some CSS.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jan Velghe

Re: Disable archive course for students moodle 4?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jan,

If a student archives a course it should not mean that deadlines are no longer shown in their timeline. This seems like a bug so I created MDL-74794 for it to be investigated.

Regarding your question "Can the admin force a setting somewhere, that students can NOT set a course to archive?" an admin can indeed remove the option for students to archive courses in Site administration > Plugins > Course overview. However, if students have archived courses and then the admin removes the option to archive courses, the students will no longer be able to access their archived courses from their My courses page.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jan Velghe -
Hi Helen and John,
Thank you for your input.

Helen, I hope they can fix the bug. 

Your solution does not solve the problem of appearance of the ‘Archive button’.

• My settings are as you propose

Archived is no longer available in dropdown, what is good.

• Unfortunately, a student can still archive a course.

As a consequence of the previous setting, a student can no longer access the archived course, unless the administrator, resets the course filters.

So I'm afraid that we will have to use css, as John suggests. I am not familiar with manipulating css. Is there any documentation on manipulating css?

Best regards,

Jan

In reply to Jan Velghe

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Jan -- this would hide that link on the MyCourse page:

#page-my-index a[data-action="hide-course"] {display: none;}

You'd add this into your theme's additional CSS box by going to Site Admin - Appearance - Boost - Advanced Settings tab, and paste it in the Raw SCSS box.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Provasnik

by Jan Velghe -
Hi John,

Can I also disable the 'hide timeline block' and the 'delete timeline block' on the Dashboard page via CSS?

Best regards,
Jan
In reply to Jan Velghe

by Jan Velghe -
Hi all,

see my question below. Is there a possibility to disable the 'hide timeline block' and the 'delete timeline block' on the Dashboard page via CSS?

Best regards,
Jan