4.1+ LMS UX - What's been happening...

Re: 4.1+ LMS UX - What's been happening...

av Uli Mauersberg -
Antal svar: 9
Hi all,

First up is Gradebook, specifically the viewing and providing of grades. Found below is two concepts that reflect the design thinking for the grading experience. Both have narrowed in on the problem of consistency and standards for how dense information is present in an easy to consume way.

The main point of differentiation for concept 1 and 2 is that concept 1 has grading/marking fully encompassed in the viewing experience of grade book, which translates more directly (and consistency) for how grades are accessed in activities.

Both concepts focus on the Quiz activity-grading flow for a Teacher.

Concept 1 can be user tested via the below link, this is a preferable channel to leave feedback as we can record an unmoderated testing of the experience and really understand what you say and do.

Concept 2 reflects the current state experience more so, in that the grading experience is still within the activity, but with more of an emphasis on ease of use and consistency. It could be the stepping stone to moving to Concept 1.

The concepts presented are not the concrete final direction, but designs that look to engage with the Moodle community to refine the direction. Some areas are not included in the prototype, that does not mean they will be removed completely. They are either not done yet or were left out intentionally to understand interest in that component/feature/area.

You may have a lot of feedback and that’s great! The unmoderated user testing will record your feedback, however if you are reviewing the prototype manually, feedback can be provided either below, or if significant then a doc of feedback is fine. Or we can setup an individual testing session to understand more.

Some tips in using the prototype. If you are unsure where to go simply click any area of the browser and blue highlights will show the clickable areas. Some areas of the prototype may not work as expected, this is probably just a bug, if you encounter this just kickstart the flow by hitting ‘r’ on your keyboard.

I look forward to your feedback to help converge on the grading experience.
Som svar till Uli Mauersberg

av Chris Kenniburg -
I like the idea of grades operating separate from courses where once in gradebook you can hop around from course to course, however, I think many teachers will want the grades to be with the activities as well or at least open up the gradebook to that activity. Opening full screen in modal is MUCH preferred. Scrolling horizontal in a modal is better than a regular page and leaving your header content and footer content behind as you scroll left and right.

It would be nice if once in this global gradebook modal it would present the teacher with a list of items that need grading from all their courses along with that drop down to choose a course.

I like all the layout changes and really the best thing is how to-do items for the teacher bubble up into view so that they know they need to take action to provide a grade. And making it easy to access the item is also much improved in the prototypes.

I prefer everything about Prototype 1. This really looks great!

av Przemek Kaszubski -
I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I can't really get to see any differences between both concepts when accessing the links provided. The Concept 2 link launches for me the very same screens as Concept 1 (or so I think).
Also, pity I have to use Chrome to be able to take advantage of the recording link.

In general - I'd agree the possibility to access grading both within the activity and from the Gradebook is probably what users would (still) want.

A few other additional points - maybe not all relevant yet:
  • I hope the experience can be unified and seamless, and that this new project will streamline the various "locking" and overriding effects of in-gradebook grading over in-activity grading.
  • I do like the quiz grading interface - also because it resembles the assignment grading page.
  • And so - speaking of grading assignments - not really shown in the demo yet, but : Assignment submissions overview page should always show which attempt (if multiple allowed) has been submitted / has already been graded
  • There should be an option to remove an attempt in assignments (especially when empty, but perhaps indiscriminately too? - cf the the option to delete attempts in quizzes)
  • The Assignment grading page should allow teachers to quickly / interactively not only add another attempt, but also Grant an extension / Add (user) override - right on that page. (and also see if the user is already taking advantage of any extensions / override options)

Sorry if some of these comments are not (yet) relevant.
Kind regards,
Przemek

PS. Also adding screenshot with a few extras - sorry for the typos.
Bilaga 2022-05-22 , 14_59_50 - _ - Gradebook (2) - 4.1 UX LMS — Mozilla Firefox.png
Som svar till Przemek Kaszubski

av Przemek Kaszubski -
PS. Regarding the drop-down list with course names on that screenshot -  I did not manage to finish my note ..  I meant whether that list will filter out courses completed (as per course closing date) and those set to run in the future (as per the course start date) etc. , as well as whether the order in which that list is displayed will follow some standard.  This is NOT a Gradebook-only issue, but a global one affecting e.g. the user profile page, the Dashboard and My courses pages etc. It would be great to have one standard. Until now, the "Grades" page linked from the profile page does not differentiate between current / past and future courses, but lists everything together, even suggesting these are are all courses in progress (cf. the strings "Courses I am teaching" / "Courses I am taking" appearing on the target page) - which is mostly false, misleading and (on bigger sites) overwhelming and useless.

av Tim Hunt -
Before I engage with the substance of this, I just want to get this out of the way:

It sucks that you are using tools that only work in Internet Explorer Chrome. Which decade are we in on the web? 2002?
Som svar till Tim Hunt

av Bob Gilmore -
I couldn't agree more. The plugin tipped me over the edge. I looked at that and then noped right out of it.
Som svar till Bob Gilmore

av Shasa Smith -
Hi Tim and Bob,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As you may be aware we began using User Zoom Go at the beginning of this year, as a trial to improve how we engage with the community for testing and engagement purposes. This 12-month trial will conclude in December when we can evaluate its performance and whether there is a better tool for us to use.

I have documented the feedback you have provided (and added to a list of other comments already captured). This will be very useful to evaluate whether we continue to use this tool.

If you happen to come across another User Experience Testing platform that provides a great experience we'd love to hear! We have looked in UserTesting.com in the past...

Thanks again,

Shasa
Som svar till Shasa Smith

av Tim Hunt -
I don't know about user testing platforms, I am afraid.

In terms of engaging with the community, I think what you did for the quiz changes, with a short video talking throught the changes, and a figma mock-up, was a good combination. (Although, figma mock-ups on their own can be pretty incomprehensible - which is probably why you are looking to some other tool, I guess.)