Possible to make a course "read only" to students with one click?

Possible to make a course "read only" to students with one click?

by Al Charl -
Number of replies: 8

After some advice. Two questions:

1. When a course has completed but the teacher wants the student to be able to access it as a "read only" course, is this possible with a one click function? Or does the teacher need to amend each and every activity's cut-off date?

2. What is the common/best way others approach the situation of past courses that have been recently completed? 
    They obviously take up room and should be removed when possible. But do others leave past courses "viewable" to students that are still enrolled in the school so they can go back and review their work, remind them of past goals set and help create new ones, for example?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Al Charl

Re: Possible to make a course "read only" to students with one click?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Have you explored Context freezing?
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Al Charl -
Looks perfect. Thanks.

By the way, can I change one student that is enrolled to read-only status so they can view the course and their assignments/feedback but not contribute?
In reply to Al Charl

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You can do that by creating a new role. We have "revision student". We cloned the standard student role and then removed all the capabilities that allow them to contribute.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Al Charl -
Thanks Howard. Is this "revision student" already setup or could you explain how to clone this new role?

I'm in "Site administration - Users - Permissions - Define roles" but don't see any "clone role" function.
In reply to Al Charl

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It's not. You have to make your own as needed. If you create a new role you can copy an existing one,

see https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Creating_custom_roles#Creating_a_duplicate_role

If you really want I could give you a copy of mine but you'd still need to go through all the caps and check as the roles on my main site have all sorts of weirdness. 
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Al Charl -
Sorry, how did I not find that link in my searches. Thanks. I'll give it a shot!