Are there too many Moodle in English forums?

Are there too many Moodle in English forums?

Bob Gilmore གིས-
Number of replies: 1
Particularly helpful Moodlers གི་པར

Something Ive been thinking about for a while. I tend to hang out in the themes forum, but occasionally will pop into Lesson and try to answer a few questions there. I don't really have the bandwidth for much more than that, not so much because the forums arent that busy, but because hopping in and out of forums is a bit tedious and my inbox couldnt handle being subscribed to more.

So, I was thinking, would it be a good idea to merge many of the forums together.  My thoughts would be something like:

• Installing / Server / Admin Support
  • General Help
  • Teaching and Learning ( including course design )
  • Activities ( all of them, and I feel a lot of these would fall under the concept of teaching and learning)
  • Plugins
  • Themes and UX
  • Development
Obviously, a lot of this is dependent on individual forum traffic, but many of the forums are quite slow and I believe would benefit from being merged together to focus more eyes on the requests and suggestions therein.

Thoughts?
དཔྱ་སྙོམས་ཀྱི་སྐུགས་ཚུ།:Useful (2)
In reply to Bob Gilmore

Re: Are there too many Moodle in English forums?

John Provasnik གིས-
Particularly helpful Moodlers གི་པར Testers གི་པར
I do agree there are many forums, and I feel some cleanup could help, but having separate forums allows for better control over who Moderates which, and allows for better control over what's coming into my inbox.

I read the daily digests every morning and it's huge, but because there are many forums I have turned off entirely (because they'll just never apply to me, such as Installing, Server, Development), I am able to keep my digest relevant to my interests. However, I'd not want to lose access to things if combined, such as Admin Support, since I am a Moodle Administrator (i'm just on a Hosted environment).

If there's a particular thread in a forum that's getting large and it doesn't apply to me (which tends to happen in the General forum), I launch it from my daily digest and then I unsubscribe to that particular thread (but I'd like to do that as needed, and not constantly if forums were combined).

I actually wish there were more forums for the "Plugins" -- one for every single activity plugin and block plugin. (For example, I feel the Completion Progress Block thread is so long and unwieldy that I can never go back and find what I need -- it would benefit from having threads instead of being one long forum post that dates back years...)

With the new 4.0 format, it is nice that the entire page can be collapsed into "4" sections -- maybe that's where the organization starts, by having 4 better overall sections:
Attachment Sections.png