Assignment Add Submission Not Showing for Students

Assignment Add Submission Not Showing for Students

by Sam Kariot -
Number of replies: 15

Hello every one,

In my moodle 3.9.3  When configured Assignment , Students couldn't see Add Submission option. but teacher have the option to see Add submission.  i went through somany discussions but couldn't find the solution. all the enrolled trainees role is student. and i confirmed the dates. what will be the problem..? seeking for the help. 

Thanks in Advance

Students View when logged in as a student.↓

Students view of assignment activity

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Kariot

Re: Assignment Add Submission Not Showing for Students

by don ramos -

After updating to v4 the assignment instructions are not displaying. Using the Classic theme, the description shows, but not the instructions nor a submission button or submission instruction.

In reply to don ramos

by Jacob Cowan -

I'm having this exact problem, but only with some specific courses. I hope that this question gets an answer, because it's beyond maddening. 

In reply to don ramos

by Nick Smith -
I am having the same problem. The top image shows the assignment in 4.0. The following image shows the original assignment in 3.11
When I go into the settings in 4.0, I can see the instructions.
I have tried recreating the assignment in 4.0 but that doesn't solve it.
We have changed the theme but that hasn't helped.
Any help here is appreciated.
Attachment Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 4.04.59 PM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 4.05.43 PM.png
In reply to Nick Smith

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
This was deliberately changed in Moodle 4.0. See this Tracker https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-73990 for the discussion and reasoning for this (incomplete and muddled as it is).

There are now two boxes: the description one as before and a new one called "Instructions" and the show up in different places in the process now.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Nick Smith -
Thanks for your response, Randy.
I understand that there is now a separate box for instructions when creating assignments. This could be related to my problem but I'm not sure.

My main issue is what I have posted above. Students cannot see the assignment instructions no matter how I adjust the settings. The two images above both show the same assignment: the top one is in Moodle 4, the next is Moodle 3.11. In the second, the student can see all of the instructions.

Any help is appreciated.
In reply to Nick Smith

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
The top one is not a normal Student view. it is the normal Teacher view because only Teachers can see the Grade and View all submissions button. In fact, the "Grade"/"View all submissions" button and the "Add assignment" should never show up for the same person.

The first thing to verify is that the Student and Teacher role permissions are correct in Site admin > Users > Permissions > Capability overview.

The following two capabilities should be set to 'Allow' for the Student and 'Not set' for Teacher (and all other standard roles):

1) Submit assignment
mod/assign:submit

2) View own submission summary
mod/assign:viewownsubmissionsummary

The following two should be set to 'Allow' for Teacher (and Manager and Non-editing teacher) and 'Not set' for Student (and all other standard roles)::

3) View grades
mod/assign:viewgrades

4) Grade assignment
mod/assign:grade

The following should be set to 'Allow' for Teacher (and Manager) but for Non-editing teacher and Student (and all other standard roles)::

5) Review grades
mod/assign:reviewgrades

If those are correct, then look for the issue where a user has more than one role in the course, or is inheriting a role from above, such as from a Category or the System level roles.

Also verify that your Default role for all users is Authenticated user in Site admin > User > Permissions > User policies, just in case that may be causing problems.
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Nick Smith -
I have gone through and checked all of those and they are all as should be.

I might have caused some confusion by posting a screenshot of myself logged in as a teacher. I agree that there should not be an button for add submission and for view all submissions on the same page. This is a glitch that has arisen since installing 4.0

I have spent the past 24 hours trying to solve this and am going crazy.

One little insight is that students can see the assignments when logged in using mobile.
In reply to Nick Smith

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Have you tried copying the description to the instructions field?
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Nick Smith -

I have tried adjusting every setting. I tried copying half of the directions to instructions, then adding a file. Nothing shows.

It seems to have something to do with availability.

I have battled with this for hours. Any other suggestions are most welcome.

In reply to Nick Smith

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
What theme are you using?
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Nick Smith -
We were using Moov, but then tried changing themes a bunch of times to see if that would solve it. We tried 8 or 10 themes. Eventually we settled on classic which we are using now.
In reply to Nick Smith

by Esraa Mowafy -
Any updates about this problem, I'm having this exact problem
In reply to Esraa Mowafy

by Nick Smith -
We had to hire a programmer to fix it. I am not sure what he did.

After we updated to Moodle 4 we had a whole bunch of issues which we had to hire programmers to solve. It cost us thousands of $$$.
In reply to Esraa Mowafy

by Emma Richardson -
The instructions only show when you click on Add Submission. The description will show on the main assignment page. You need to log in as an actual student to test.
In reply to Nick Smith

by Michael Hughes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I had a similar conversation on https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=439203 about this, and there are *some* good use cases for splitting the instructions into "all the time instructions" and "once the activity is available instructions".

But I do think the lack of display of all of the instructions to staff is a bug, which is not quite the same as MDL-73990, but I just haven't had time to raise it as an issue.