More than 10 sections/topics?

More than 10 sections/topics?

od David Kimball -
Število odgovorov: 18

Hello, how do I allow more than 10 sections/topics to a course?

Povprečje ocenitev: -
V odgovor na David Kimball

Re: More than 10 sections/topics?

od Mary Cooch -
Slika Documentation writers Slika Moodle HQ Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Testers Slika Translators
Site administration > Courses > Course default settings > Number of sections - change the default.
V odgovor na Mary Cooch

od David Kimball -

Head slap, right there in plain sight.  I was going to the individual course settings.  Thank you, Mary!!!!

od David Kimball -
Mary, it looks like the change is effective for only new courses. Is there a setting somewhere to change it for existing courses?  config.php?

od Mary Cooch -
Slika Documentation writers Slika Moodle HQ Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Testers Slika Translators
I don't think you can change it for existing courses from within the interface - and sorry I don't know about changes in the database. Maybe someone else does.

od Rick Jerz -
Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Testers
In your current course, try turning "Editing On," then scroll to bottom-most topic. You should see "add a topic."

Priponka Add Topic.png
V odgovor na Rick Jerz

od David Kimball -
Correct, but the maximum number is whatever the course default is when it was created. Once created, that max number may not be increased. I am looking for some way to increase that max number.

od Rick Jerz -
Maybe so. In my Moodle 3.11, I had Maximum number of sections at 53. I bumped it up to 60, and I was able to add up to 60 topics in an existing course. So I am not sure why you can't, but Mary thinks you can't. Somehow, I can?
V odgovor na Rick Jerz

od Mary Cooch -
I am not sure what you mean by "the maxium numer is whatever the course default is when it was created" You can for sure increase the number of sections manually in a course - I was assuming David wanted to increase the number visible in existing courses in one go, rather than manually going in and adding new topic sections as Rick says.
V odgovor na Mary Cooch

od Rick Jerz -
Hmmm, we might need David to jump back in and clarify after seeing some of our discussion.
V odgovor na Rick Jerz

od David Kimball -
Here is a video of specifically what I am needing.

od Mary Cooch -
Well that is strange David; I would still have thought you could increase the sections. I notice from your video you are using Collapsed topics. This is just a "shot in the dark" but try changing the course format to normal topics and see if you can increase the number then.
V odgovor na Mary Cooch

od David Kimball -
It does not work there, either.

od Rick Jerz -
I am using Moodle 3.11 and Collapsed topics, and I am able to make system-level changes to the number of sections, and then within an existing course, I can pick this larger number. And I can do this with either the format being Collapsed Topics, or Topics.

Have you tried putting a number into "Maximum number of sections?"  I see it is blank.  Try putting 30 or 40 into that textbox.

What version of Moodle are you using, and what version of Collapsed Topics? It might be that you have either old versions or incompatible old versions.

In my case, I have Moodle 3.11.6+ (Build: 20220423), and Collapsed topics 3.10.1.5. Yes, I am purposely running CT3.10 for a different reason.
V odgovor na Rick Jerz

od David Kimball -

It is only blank in the video, I have put different numbers all the way through the maximum.

Moodle 3.11.6, Collapsed Topics 3.11.0.5

od David Kimball -
Okay, it works now. I uninstalled collapsed topics and reinstalled version 3.10. Voila.

od David Kimball -
Of course, I was not content with that. So, I went back to 3.11 and it worked. And I thought, hmmm... Maximum number box.

And that was it! Why is it that the simple stuff always trips us up? Thank you, Rick. And Mary, for leading me in the right direction.