Q&A forum: enable Students to send notifications without editing-time delay

Q&A forum: enable Students to send notifications without editing-time delay

oleh Lisa Messenzehl -
Jumlah balasan: 8

Hi Everyone

We are working on a moodle Feature Request for the Q&A Forum and like to get your thoughts.

Currently, at the Moodle Forum, student posts will be sent after the global preset editing-time delay (30 min default) only. That cannot be changed at all. Neither by admins, managers nor by students.

As typical for a Q&A Forum, students are required to post once before viewing other students' posts. Then students have to wait for the whole preconfigured delay time before they can see the ongoing discussion. Especially for Q&A forums this can be an annoying experience.

Therefore, we suppose that it should be possible to enable students to decide themselves, with 'opt in' option, like teachers, to post an send notifications with no editing-time delay. This will improve students satisfaction and didactic meaning of this forums setting.

To decide self-sufficient and e.g. to fullfill individual security needs etc., Institutions, managers or teachers should be able to activate or deactivate the "Send forum post notifications with no editing-time delay" option for students.

In our feature request this could be done by a low-threshold solution: adjusting new users capabiltiy 'canmailnow'.

A more convenient solution could be e.g. an activation within the course settings.

Link to tracker: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-74679

Best regards from Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW),

Lisa

Rata-rata penilaian:Useful (1)
Sebagai balasan Lisa Messenzehl

Re: Q&A forum: enable Students to send notifications without editing-time delay

oleh AL Rachels -
Gambar dari Core developers Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Plugin developers Gambar dari Testers
For the usage you describe, have you considered using the latest version, v4.0.2, of the Hot Question plugin? If you have it set so that posts are automatically approved, students can instantly see each others entries.
Note, that the next version of Hot Question v4.1.0, that will be available soon, also includes grades based on percentage factors such as number of questions posted, number of questions voted on, and number of votes received.
Note, don't be put off by the name, Hot Question, as the teacher can change all the labels to suit the purpose of the activity.
You can try the development version of HQv4.1.0, here: http://www.drachels.com/moodle311/login/index.php and the login details are listed on the login page.
Rata-rata penilaian:Useful (3)

oleh Rick Jerz -
Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Testers
I have never used the Q&A Forum, but I was just in a course as a student and had a chance to experience this method.

There seems to be two things happening, 1) the post, and 2) the email with posts content.

It seems that the concept of a Q&A post is that the student has to make a "permanent" reply in order to see what others have said. Without a permanent reply, a student could, in theory, make a post with one word, see the other student's post, and then immediately change their original post using some of the knowledge that they have gained. I think this is what we are trying to prevent. Yet, some students feel they are done when they post, and want to immediately see other posts.

Since I don't use the Q&A forum, my idea might not be on target, but I will offer.

So, a student posts. Might a button then appear saying "Ready to commit and see other posts?" If the student clicks on it, it does not allow any edits to their post and immediately emails it to all. If they press a "Cancel" button, they then must wait 30 minutes. The Cancel button could say "Cancel and Return after 30 minutes" or something like that.

It seems that we are trying to allow a student to immediately see other posts, so somehow it should be in this student's control to say that they are ready to commit their post.

So what would I want to do? I would want to make my post and be given some time to review and edit it. Then I would want a button that says "I am ready to commit my post and see other posts." This button might appear below the edit box where I have the ability to still edit.

For example:
Permalink | Show parent | Edit | Delete | Reply | Commit 
Sebagai balasan Rick Jerz

oleh Mary Cooch -
Gambar dari Documentation writers Gambar dari Moodle HQ Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Testers Gambar dari Translators
Rick's suggestion reminds me a bit of this (Q and A forum) related tracker issue MDL-37712
Rata-rata penilaian:Useful (2)
Sebagai balasan Mary Cooch

oleh Rick Jerz -
Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Testers
Yep, Mary, thanks for finding MDL-37712. It seems to be exactly what we are talking about. I might try to experiment with the Q&A forum and then provide ideas. I can see possibly using this forum type in the future for a few activities. Thanks.

oleh AL Rachels -
Gambar dari Core developers Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Plugin developers Gambar dari Testers
Another plug for Hot Question for this use -- when a student submits their question/statement/post etc. or whatever the teacher has set it up to be called, they CANNOT make a change to their post. Can't even delete it...only the teacher/manager/admin can. Teacher can also set it to require approval before anyone can read the post, in case you are teaching immature students. Next version, in BETA right now, will even include automatic participation type grading.

oleh Lisa Messenzehl -
Exactly, the Q&A forum requires the student to make a "permant" reply in order to see other students' posts. Good idea to display on a button something like "I'm ready to commit my post and see other posts". Somehow, the students need to be aware that by clicking on "commit", they need are no longer able to edit their post.
We will definitely have a look at the Hot Question Plugin, too.

oleh Wolfgang Hummel -
Gambar dari Core developers

To keep it simple and low-threshold we are suggesting/ requesting just some small adjustments in the mod/forum.

Students should be enabled  to decide by simple opt-in option to send QandA forum post notifications

- with editing-time delay  -> editing or deleting possible until editing-time passed / other student post will be visible after editing-time passed
- without editing-time delay  -> editing or deleting not possible anymore / other student post will be visible immediately.

To avoid cheating, once the post has been sent with no editing-time delay, it should no longer be possible to edit or delete that post by students themselves.

After receiving your comments we committed our editing/deleting option into our code suggestion, resp. feature request as well (https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-74679)

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and feel invited to vote for our Tracker Issue.

Brgds

Wolfgang

oleh Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Translators
Don't know whether I understood - didn't read the whole thread.

> Currently, at the Moodle Forum, student posts will be sent after the global preset editing-time delay (30 min default) only. That cannot be changed at all. Neither by admins, managers

What about Site administration > Site security settings > Maximum time to edit posts (maxeditingtime)? The minimum is 1 min, which means the forum mail will be sent anywhere between 60 to 120 seconds.

> nor by students.

Before posting go to Advanced > tick Send forum post notifications with no editing-time delay.