Integration round 2022-05-06 - The lusty month of May

Integration round 2022-05-06 - The lusty month of May

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Cold numbers:

This week 26 issues have been successfully integrated with 2 rejected and 71 in the queues. Near all the issues awaiting are old improvements and new features that were held over the Moodle 4.0 period, and will be processed along the next weeks.

Talking about the last seven months, since freeze happened, over the 29 weeks of continuous integration until Moodle 4.0 release, 823 issues were successfully integrated. Thanks all for the phenomenal effort!

Notes:

• While you read this, Moodle 3.9.14, 3.10.11, 3.11.7 and 4.0.1 minor / security versions are being released. Next ones will be on July 11th.
  • Since last week, we are back to the normal integration period, with an easy schedule and weekly rolling cadence. As usual, it's important to try to be responsive within the period to allow the issues to flow smoothly.
  • Related with the above, you may have noticed that there is a new status in the Tracker: Waiting for feedback, which basic idea is to perform a direct and agile interaction between the reviewer and the assignee of the issue. So, instead of reopening the issue, when it's possible to fix it within the cycle, or provide some missing details or information, that new status will be used. Once the assignee has fulfilled all the requested points, can send the issue back to integration using the "Feedback provided" button.
  • Finally, after having it flying around since ages ago, lots of research, trials... recently... a movement to Migrate all the dev docs has started. Everybody is welcome to participate! While the URL is not final, you can sneak preview them at this URL. Awesome!
  • As you may know, we rely on the Code checker plugin for checking the coding style of all the Moodle ecosystem, and there are plans to implement more and more validations (sniffs they are called) along the next months. But, before anything else, we have already split the plugin and the coding standard. You can find the standard @ GH and Packagist with easy instructions to integrate it with various IDEs. Of course, you can still continue using it from the plugin that will be continuously updated. But the primary source for the coding standard (issues, pull requests, new features...) will be the now, split, repository. And everybody else (CiBoT, Code Checker, moodle-plugin-ci will be, soon, using it).
  • We are moving from Telegram to Matrix, and already have the Moodle Dev Chat room available there. Thanks to a seamless integration between the 2 systems, the Telegram room will continue working for a while, but it's time to start looking for your favorite Matrix client. There will be some announces and more details about this soon.

One more little thing

Last point, and surely the least important in this case... it has been a long trip for me managing/leading the Integration Team (over 15 years, time flies!) and some months ago I started to feel myself tired of the non-stop cycles and thought that it was a good moment for a switch in my role and responsibilities.

So, while I will continue being an active member of the team, I'm switching away from my integration and leading tasks to, instead, focus more on the tools, integrations, testing infrastructure, sub-products... pretty much a sysop (knight in shining armour, 😉) position.

I love to hack (everything) and I think the new role will allow me to do that and more. So I just wanted to say that it has been an absolute pleasure for me to learn from all you over all these years and that, still, I will see you every where, every day (policy, requirements, php issues, discussions...), thanks to everybody! 😘😘😘

Hot topics:

• MDL-74395 - (it's an Epic, requires login). All the critical post 4.0 release issues have been fixed and are included in today's 4.0.1 release. This includes better BigBlueButton GDPR compliance, various navigation, edit more and LTI advantage fixes...
  • MDL-74436 - Fixed fatal error importing course events.
  • MDL-74543 - Ensure that correct quiz attempts finish times are recorded.
  • MDL-74511 - .phphcs.xml has been added to core.
  • MDL-41498 - New setting to specify the number of participants per page.
  • And lots more in areas like courses, report builder, user management, behat test, global search...

One at a time:

This (non-regular) section in the integration posts aims to get various policy issues communicated and, with your collaboration, decided and applied in an organised way.

• There are a lot of policy issues in the pipelines and need to try to come back to progress will them, one at a time, but advancing.
  • No matter of that, the very next policy issue proposed is MDL-71747 - Moodle 4.1 requirements. Please, take a look to it, make any suggestion, discuss about versions, extensions... Soon, all the information will be considered together and a proposal created for immediate voting and decision. This is your opportunity!

Warm thanks:

• To Jun Pataleta, from Moodle HQ, great integrator, accessibility guru, awesome developer, fantastic mood, for taking on the role of Integration Lead. You rock, you can!

The secret of change is to focus all of your energy
not on fighting the old, but on building the new.
-- Socrates

Ciao smile

Average of ratings: Useful (8)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Re: Integration round 2022-05-06 - The lusty month of May

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Eloy, huge thanks for everything that you have done an integration team lead over the last many years. It is a difficult role and you have done it well. I look forwards to seeing what you contribute to Moodle next, and continuing to learn from you smile Thanks.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tomasz Muras -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Translators
Let me second Tim here. Well done Eloy and thank you !
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I also second what Tim said, and deeply consider it pure magic! together with all of what Moodle HQ team is doing.
Thank you for the important and informative integration reports.
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

by Michael Hughes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Absolutely, thank you for all of your efforts and basically making sure that Moodle actually does hold together for every one!

Good luck to Juan, he's got a class act to follow!
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks for doing such a great job of a tough position! Moodle has been more successful because of you!