Enrollment on Payment: Paypal

Enrollment on Payment: Paypal

by William Stewart -
Number of replies: 1

Moodle 3.11 

I am trying to set up Payment Gateways with Enrolment on Payment.

On the Moodle side of things, I have the plugins enabled, enrollment methods in courses set up, and have added all of the required credentials (business email address, Client ID, Secret, prices, etc.) set up.

On the Paypal side of things, I have created an application, created a client ID, secret, and webhooks for IPN (though I am not sure this is still needed). However, the Moodle documentation (as far as I have read) is almost completely absent of what to do on the PayPal end. 

I have tried processing enrollment on payment with a few cards and they have all been declined (confirmed not a bank or card issuer problem), and it’s not a Moodle problem as there are limited things to do in Moodle to set up the Paypal credentials. And yes, both Moodle and Paypal are set to live environments.

Does anyone have any experience in how to set up the Paypal end of things that might be able to point out what I am missing? I have read a few older forums whereas answers have been very unhelpful (i.e., its not a Moodle problem, check with Paypal). I can see that there were successful API calls from Moodle to Paypal but the cards are declined and the only message provided is something along the lines of “let’s try another card”. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to William Stewart

Re: Enrollment on Payment: Paypal

by William Stewart -
Issue solved. The problem is not particularly obvious.

I could not pay with a PayPal account in registered in the same country as the business paypal account for the Moodle site; it only accepts "international" transactions (local regulations...) so I was using a the non-PayPal credit/debit option.

In using this option, I also was using my personal email address for the receipt. This email addresss, however, is registered to a PayPal account (which I cannot use) so it declines the transaction. I presume this might also happen if the same card is registered to one but I haven't tested that.

The error from PayPal "let's try another card" does not explain at all that this is decline is imposed by PayPal for the reason noted above. I came across this advice on a random site from Google Searches that suggested this could be a reason (among many others) and 100% it was the reason. I am relieved to a small degree that I am able to read directions and set up PayPal correctly. The documentation in Moodle regarding PayPal though could use a bit more development.

I know that things change, making the current directions a bit dated in terms of their descriptions of where things are in PayPal (not to mention PayPal's portal and functioning is less than ideal). For example, the IPN and UTF encoding is deeply hidden and buried in various settings that took some searching for. It's just something that Moodlers need to be aware of as the documentation (including PayPal's) is lacking.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)