Quiz-related improvements for Moodle 4.1

Quiz-related improvements for Moodle 4.1

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 38
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There are at least three groups of people aiming to make significant quiz-related improvements in Moodle 4.1. The good news is that from what I have seen so far, all these changes are compatible and should fit together.

My plan was to write a short post summarising all the work that is either underway or proposed. However, that turned out to be impossible. Here is a long post summarising everything!

Q) The Question-bank-4.0 collaboration [Epic MDL-72752]

This project, lead by Thomas, Luca, Antonia and I, and developed by Catalyst AU, delivered a lot of Question-bank improvements to Moodle 4.0, but there were still other ideas that we could not get done in time. They should be in Moodle 4.1. These items are all in development now, and getting close to completion.

Q.1) Better searching of question in the question bank:

You will be able search based on almost any information you can see about questions in the question bank listing (and qbank plugins will be able to add even more ways to search). [MDL-72321]

Searching questions will work like searching the course participants page, but better. Therefore, there is some prior development so that both places are based on a library of reusable search code. [MDL-72509]

Then, in the Quiz, random questions will be enhanced. Instead of the current limited options to pick randomly based on category and tags, you will be able to say, “pick questions randomly from these search results” for any question-bank search. This will make random questions even more flexible.

Q.2) New Question-bank activity instead of fixed question banks [MDL-71378]

Previously, every course in Moodle had exactly a question bank, whether you wanted one or not. In future you will be able to choose if and where you want your question banks. This will make it easier to control who can access each one.

There will also be more flexibility to use questions from shared question banks you have permission to access when building quizzes [MDL-72322].

These changes should also finally fix two long-standing issues with backup and restore:

• MDL-41924 Minimise questions included with quiz backups (or duplication)
  • MDL-69306 Duplicated quiz uses the same questions from the same question bank: can confuse teachers if they expect questions were copied too
Q.3) Manage categories screen in the question bank will be improved [MDL-72397]

This is a relatively small change compared to the ones above, but it should be a nice usability enhancement for this part of the question bank. For example, moving categories around using drag-and-drop.

O) The Open University [Epic MDL-74607]

The people who pay my wages want some things in the quiz, and the good news is that most of the things they want are things that I know people here have been asking for years. Perhaps now they will finally get built!

Currently these are just proposals, so please give feedback about the ideas, and whether you think the overall concepts are good. Later, I will post more details (once I have worked them out!) and we can discuss the details.

Note these things are certainly advanced features. There will be no need for anyone to use them, and if you don’t need them, they should not get in your way (if we get the design right).

O.1) Let one quiz generate multiple grades [MDL-74610]

In the past people have asked for this in different ways. For example, calculating the grade for each section of the quiz, or based on the question bank category each question is in, but these are all just variants of the same underlying requirement: Having a student’s attempt at a particular quiz lead to several grades in the gradebook.

The Moodle gradebook can handle this. (If you are wondering, the only thing in standard Moodle which uses this option is the Workshop (peer assessment) activity, which gives you two grades (here is an example from the Moodle demo site of a 'Limerics' workshop):

We need to make it possible for the Quiz to use this gradebook feature.

There are other related grading requirements I have seen people ask for here. One goes like this: “To pass this quiz, students need to get an overall grade of 70%, but also, they need to get at least 50% on questions 7, 8 and 9 combined”. I think that the changes we propose to make can solve this. If the quiz puts two grades into the gradebook, one “overall grade” and one “grade for questions 7, 8 and 9” then you can use gradebook calculations to work out the right final result based on those two. Since this can be done in the gradebook, we should not duplicate that type of logic in the Quiz itself.

O.2) Allow the question numbers in the quiz to be customised [MDL-74609]

When I first heard this requirement, my reaction was “surely the quiz does not need this bit of added complexity?!”. However, over the last few months, I have been given enough examples where this makes a useful difference to the student experience.

The requirement is the ability to change the default 1, 2, 3 question numbers to any other short strings that you like. Here is a mock-up:

As well as being given examples (related to online exams) that convince me this is needed, I have also realised that it is technically easy to implement, and it can fit quite nicely in the UI (little edit-this pen icon by the number while building the quiz) so I now think this is worth doing.

O3) Allow the teacher to force the language for one activity [MDL-74608]

This is not really a quiz feature, but at the OU, this is something we want for quizzes, and so I will mention it here.

Currently Moodle has the option, to force the UI language for a particular course:

We would quite like to have this option for activities as well as entire courses (probably added to the ‘Common module settings’ section of the form). What do people think about that?

M) Moodle HQ UX team

After the changes made in Moodle 4.0, the next priority for the UX team at HQ is all the activities, including Quiz.

They are going to announce their own plans soon, so I won’t steal their thunder. However, I will say that I had a meeting with them yesterday morning, to get a sneak peak of what they were thinking of, and we had a really great discussion about that, and I am excited.

One of their areas of focus is making it easier for teachers to build quizzes (which, you might say, is lucky, because the OU changes proposed above are going to add even more complexity 😉).

N) Ideas no-one is planning yet, but ...

Both the Moodle HQ proposals and the OU ones improve the page where you build the quiz. As well as the features currently planned, there are other ideas I know people want which shoudl become more possible with the new designs. (Even if they don't happen for 4.1, it would be easier to add them.)

• An option for whether to use the Summary page at the end of the quiz, where students can review their attempt before submitting.
  • An option to display some custom text (instructions) at the top of the Summary page, if you are using it. (For example “Before submitting, we suggest you check that you have dotted all your ‘i’s and crossed all your ‘t’s.”)
  • An option for whether to show the ‘intro’ page when you first go into the quiz, or not. (E.g. for a short worksheet-type quiz with no time limit, perhaps you just want students to go straight into answering the questions.)

Summary

So, lots going on, and I just want to add a warning: At the moment, this is mostly just proposed work. What actually happens, and whether it happens in time for Moodle 4.1, remains to be seen.

Also, the reasone for posting now is to get feedback, so please give your comments.

Average of ratings: Useful (22)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Quiz-related improvements for Moodle 4.1

by Thomas Korner -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Dear Tim
Thanks a lot, that is a great overview, although I was involved in parts of it, great to have this one-pager. And to be honest, never thought of the O.1, great solution!
Greets, Thomas
In reply to Thomas Korner

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I like the 0.1 idea too smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
I'm also a fan of the 0.1 idea: I get that question from my teachers every month smile
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
hi Tim,
Thank you so much for this clear overview.

O1: i really like this idea, I do wonder if this would also solve an user case where you have 2 quizes in a course right now because some students need like quiz categorie 1+2 and others should answer categorie 1+3? Or other kind of combinations.

03: language foced on activity
I do wonder what kind of scenario this should fix and if this is similar to a request I had once. We have solved this request now by using restrict access by language plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/availability_language

Gem
In reply to Gemma Lesterhuis

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I made a post about O.3) in the languages forum here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=434039. I think we should discuss that one over there.

Regarding O.3). I think that the feature you are asking for is something slightly different. It would be another nice feature to have - and it is in the catgegory of featurs where the planned changes to the building quiz page can only make it easier to implement that in future. However, it is not the thing we are proposing to do now, I am afraid.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Thanks for the update, Tim. Keep the ball rolling!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

回應: Quiz-related improvements for Moodle 4.1

by Hok-hoi Yeung -
May I propose that options of calculated MC question can display fraction and Latex formula.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Antonia Bonaccorso -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I would like to support O2 "customizing question numbers". This is a request I have heard several times. I do not consider it crucial for a good exam, but it certainly helps structuring questions in an easily understandable way. Often teachers have a question with a specific topic and several subquestions referring to that very same topic. Something like

question 1
- question 1.a
- question 1.b
- question 1.c

Usually they then have a total amount of points for the whole question that is devided into subpoints for the subquestions. Something like:

question 1 (6 points)
- question 1.a (2 points)
- question 1.b (2 points)
- question 1.c (2 points)

I think it would be nice, if this could then also be reflected in the display of points as well during the exam as in the results / for the viewing. But this might just be an idea from my old school days and how it used to work then.

Cheers,
Antonia
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Peter Ward -
Thanks for the heads up Tim.

With regards multiple grades from a single quiz, I like the idea of using the existing gradebook calculation for this.

But I've often thought that the quiz activity is missing a key feature for those of us who work with assessment criteria and competency statements.

e.g. When designing a question that targets a single, or multiple assessment criteria (competencies) it would be great to associate a competency or multiple competencies to a single question.
On a question then being graded, the competencies associated with it could then be auto signed off and the evidence associated with it would be recorded in the users 'Learning Plan'.

I'm sure I saw reference to this being on the quiz / question development roadmap quite a few years ago?
In reply to Peter Ward

by Tim Hunt -
Yes, people tried to link questions and competencies (quite a long time ago now) but they never got something that worked well enough to be integrated into Moodle. That is not something we are going to try to do now.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Thinking more about
Q.2) New Question-bank activity instead of fixed question banks

I can see that this approach can solve many problems, but I find it counter intuitive from a user experience point of view: a question bank is not a (student) activity like all the other activities and introduces something on the course page that shouldn't be there and exists no where else in Moodle. There is also the added complexity of question banks for a category or a site.

I wonder if the following scenario came to mind and if it is possible: course and category settings plugins.
In this scenario, you have in the course settings an area where your can add course settings plugins. These plugins could be something like a question bank (or more then one), a file repository, a completion tracking presets plugin, a competencies collection plugin, rubric collection plugin, content bank plugin, etc ...
The same plugins structure could also apply to a category, so you could add to the category settings one or more question banks, competencies collections, file repositories, LTI repository's, ... things that can be inherited / shared over multiple courses.

Advantages:
- this approach puts those things in a more logical space to my opinion: part of the settings of a course/category, rather then the content
- this approach scales better over new necessary improvements in other areas of Moodle (sharing rubrics, outcomes, ... settings on a smaller level then the site level and content banks, ... on a broader level then the course level.
- the same workflow can apply on site, category and course level.
- maybe it is easier to preset as an administrator e.g. "all courses and all categories need an empty questionbank" to mimic the current behaviour without to much stirring up the current users.

Disadvantages:
- yet another thing to implement, because AFAIK there is nothing like that at the moment.
In reply to koen roggemans

by Tim Hunt -

Interestingly, I find the Question bank activity approach quite intuitive. There was one particular occasion which helped lead me to this. I, with some helpers, organised the DevJam at the ... I think it was the 2020 UK/IE Moodle Moot. Anyway, an online event due to Covid, supported by a Moodle course, naturally. To help arrange things out between the orgnisers, as well as the general discussion forum for all participants, I made a second forum just for the organisers (who were all in with Teacher role), and hid it from students. That was simple, and it worked, and the success of that is one of the things that lead me to this way of doing the question bank. (Along with other factors, such as the fact that the way it currently works using the system context meets very few people's needs (judging by the discussions in this forum over the years, and even fewer people understand how it works, or how to set it up.)

So, anyway, acitivities hiddend from students seems a very logical way for teachers to share things to me. And, it is not just forums and question banks that might be useufl like this. Even uploaded files which are teacher-only could also be useful (e.g. a marking guide). Anyway, if we just use all the normal Moodle activities for this, then all those activities are available and might be useful.

Of course, you probably don't want the files mixed indescriminately among the other activities in the course which are for students. You probably want to be orgnised and put a 'Teacher resources' section at the end, or something - if you are doing this at all, which most people won't be, so for them it does not matter. In fact, course formats could be adapted to have a teacher-only section, which is styled differently, or shown in a different place in the navigation - if that was thought desirable. However, that is a relatively small change which is independent of making question bank into an activity.

The reason that putting things in the site / course category context does not really work is that it is not flexible enouth. There is only one system context - and courses can only be organised into categories in one way - which may not match how you want to share content. Also, if you give someone permission in these higher contexts, then they inherit those permissions in all the courses in those contexts. That permission setup is something almost no-one understand, and is not really what anyone wants anyway. And it is this permission setup which was extremely hard to docuemnt, and which almost no-one understands.

So, sorry, but I don't find your arguments convincing. Your disadvantage is truly enormous. If question banks (etc.) were a separate kind of thing (category settings plugins), then we would have to re-implement a huge amount of infrastructure. Not only making them basically work, but also backup/restore, recycle bin, privacy API, permissions, ... But, it is not just developers having to implement this. Probably worse, it is a whole other kind fo thing for users and admins to wrap their heads around. Re-using all the familiar activity types, but hidden from students, is almost zero work, and it seems easy enough to explain to me. Not only do I think your disadvantage is prohibitive, but I also don't see your advantages as advantages. For example, if admins want presents for teacher resoures, surely it would be even more valuble to be able to have presets for some basic student activities in each course too. And, if everything is the same sort of Moodle activities (just some hidden from sutdents) then the same course template system could solve both at once, if anyone ever implements it. Yet another example of the efficienties of there is only one type of activity in Moodle.

Hopefully, you find my arguments more convincing than I found yours. The one bit of your suggestion I find useful is the idea that course formats might want to start having a special section with appropriate navigation to store the teacher-only stuff, to help make what is going on clearer. However, implementing that woudl be separate from implementing the question bank as an activity itself.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by koen roggemans -
Hi Tim,
Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive answer to my remarks.
I see what you mean about making things less complex from the coding / infrastructure side of this, which is of course very important. Since I'm not a developer, I'm not aware of this.
I think that a sort of "Hidden for students" section, somewhere in a logical space, could probably meet the logical position of the question bank in the course, scaling to other shareable things and making presets in courses for administrators a good solution. I hope you understand that I do like the question bank rework, but that this changes the overall way Moodle works with resources for teachers in a unique way, e.g.completely different then the content back, which is for a teacher something similar as the question bank.
So I hope some sort of "Teacher resource corner" can be picked up and implemented in one go to have a unified change from how things were done in the past to how things are done from now on and that more of those teacher specific things (files, h5p, rubrics, competencies, ...) can move to that section over time. It doesn't matter much where all those things are, as long as they are together, findable and similarly structured.
In reply to koen roggemans

by Tim Hunt -
I created MDL-75973 to capture the "Teacher resource corner" idea.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Tim,

Penalties for late submission

I don't know if the idea of having penalties for late submissions was completely dropped. We can be for or against the principle, but the fact is that penalties are still applied in a large number of educational institutions.

It would reduce the burden on teachers of keeping track of submission dates and penalties if a late penalties feature could be added to quizzes and assignments.

MoodleForum_20221010_2144.png

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Tim Hunt -

The late penalties idea has not been dropped. In an open source world, things happen when all of these things come together.

• A good idea.
  • Someone with the right skills to impement it.
  • Someone with the time to implement it now.

When a good idea has not happened yet, it does not mean that it has been 'shelved'. It just means that people have been busy working on other things. And, given the other things happened first, the chances are that they were better ideas, or, at least, ideas that were more immediately useful to the person implementing them.

The good thingabout Open Source is that it is an open process. In principle anyone can contribute, to get their ideas moved forward faster.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Also, the reasone for posting now is to get feedback, so please give your comments.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood the OP's request. Indeed, he only asked for comments on his work, not other suggestions.

So, may one of the moderators feel comfortable deleting my posts above.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dominique Bauer -

Quiz FAQ

The Quiz FAQ ↗ could be a source of ideas for quiz-related improvements.

Can I print the quiz results without the answers history?

Could the proposed CSS solution be integrated in the quiz settings?

Is it possible for a teacher to add a personal/private note to a student's quiz submission?

Not really, but as a workaround...
Could this feature be added to quizzes?

Can I know the marks per each section of a quiz?

This was a frequent request. Could the 'Marks per section' plugin be integrated in the quiz settings?

Can I make a second quiz start right away after a first quiz is finished?

By using a hack...

Prevent entry to a quiz some time after its start
See also
Prevent students from taking the quiz some time after its opening time

How can I prevent a student from reviewing or jumping around questions in a quiz?

I'm not sure about this one.

Can I force a user to reattempt only incorrect questions in subsequent attempts?

This is a frequet request.

How can I hide the number of marks available for each question?

Could the proposed CSS or PHP solutions be integrated in the quiz settings?

Is there a way to display submitted images instead of titles of Images on the review page for the quiz?

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -

Now that we are close to the Moodle 4.1 release, I should probably come back and update this thread.

However, this is going to be a particularly depressing forum post to write, because in many cases a lot of work was done, but was not finished enough to get into the release.

Using the same numbering scheme as above.

Q) The Question-bank-4.0 collaboration [Epic MDL-72752]

This section is particuarly sad to write because a huge amount of work was done, but a lot of it was judged to be not of a high enough quality yet to get included in Moodle 4.1. In particular, all three of the big-ticket items I mentioned above failed to make it. However, some other bits of work did make it in. Here is a summary:

• New columns in Question Bank
    • “Modified by” (including author, date and time, similar to Created by)
    • “Last Used" (when was the question last attempted by a student, or “never”)
  • In-place editing of question name in the question bank view.
  • Behind-the-scenes work on filtering lists, to prepare for advanced filtering in the question bank.
  • Enhancements to the question bank comment pop-up, and other small usability improvements and back-end code tidying.
  • Following the major changes we made in Moodle 4.0, it was inevitable that some problems would only be discovered after the code was released. We have fixed many of the problems reported by community members (including you! Thanks).

See the epic linked above for a full list. We are still working out how to get the other bits finished and itegrated. They have been moved to a new Epic MDL-76204. We still believe they are good changes that are the right direction for Moodle.

O) The Open University [Epic MDL-74607]

We managed to complete one. Yay! O3) Allow the teacher to force the language for one activity [MDL-74608] is in Moodle 4.1. Enjoy it.

O2) Allow the question numbers in the quiz to be customised [MDL-74609] is another thing in the category of "lots of work was done, but it did not quite get integrated becuase a bit more work is needed". So, should be in Moodle 4.2.

For the last months, I have been too busy with other things to start on O1) Let one quiz generate multiple grades [MDL-74610], but it is my top priority now.

M) Moodle HQ UX team

It seems the HQ team quietly decided to move quiz out-of-scope for Moodle 4.1, and instead focus in other areas. The did eventually make it clear that was what they are doing. I think they are planning to return to it at some point.

Average of ratings: Useful (7)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Software development is hard sad
I like the sound of this
“Last Used" (when was the question last attempted by a student, or “never”)
and
Behind-the-scenes work on filtering lists, to prepare for advanced filtering in the question bank.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marie Achour -
Picture of Moodle HQ
Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for the update. As you say, a mixed result for inclusions in 4.1 but what did make it in is fabulous!

I wanted to highlight that we no longer have a Moodle HQ UX Team. We recently made changes to our team structure to create product teams focused on different user groups. For example, our Educational Solutions team looks after the parts of Moodle that directly impact educators and their students, this is the team that looks after Quiz. (For context, our Moodle Platform Team looks after the parts of Moodle that have more impact on Moodle Administrator and Developers).

Inside that team, we have UX designers who work with our developers to make our solutions as intuitive and user-friendly as possible. UX is now embedded in the development team so that we can make sure our daily decisions in development and design work better together. In the past, we had seen UX designers come up with concepts that were not feasible to implement or developers build things that a common user would not be able to use, and we needed to address that.

I know it probably sounds like a bit of detail but it's actually quite an essential part of how we now work at Moodle HQ and I thought it would be of value for you all to know about it.

Regarding our focus on Quiz; it is still very much on the roadmap to do so. We made the decision to prioritise our work on Database for 4.1 and are planning our work on Quiz later to ensure that whatever work we do does not clash with the work being done on Questionbank. As they are so closely related, one will inform the other very directly and we ran the risk of working in parallel on different elements that would not work well together when completed. I hope this helps explain our decisioning process.

Cheers,
Marie
Average of ratings: Useful (9)
In reply to Marie Achour

by Tim Hunt -
Very sensible to prioritise one thing at a time (Database in this case) and do it well. Will be great when you get to the quiz, but as you say, right now, there is a lot of other work to avoid clashing with.
In reply to Marie Achour

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Marie wrote "In the past, we had seen UX designers come up with concepts that were not feasible to implement or developers build things that a common user would not be able to use".

That is hard to believe happens all the time.😁

Thanks for the update, anyway!

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Anton Tremetzberger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Dear Tim,

thank you for your update regarding the question bank issues. We are now starting to plan the update to Moodle 4.1 LTS (we still have some time, the update will be done in summer 2023).

Unfortunately, some planned features were not implemented in 4.1. For example, the "question bank activity: mod_qbank" (https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-71378) would be very interesting for us. Is there a chance that this feature will also be implemented in version 4.1.*? Or will this feature only come beginning with version 4.2?

thanks, best regards
Anton
In reply to Anton Tremetzberger

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi, we at ULPGC have similar plans. Use moodle 4.1 LTS for next course 2023-24.

Some kind of "backport" of this change, question bank as "question bank activity: mod_qbank", from 4.2 to 4.1 LTS seems sensible, since this is a vary important change in the structure of question bank, and a desired and expected one.

We have a policy to jump from LTS to LTS, and keep a given version of moodle running for two years in our virtual campus. Having to wait until course 2025-26 would be too much a delay for such features as sharing questions between banks. Any effort in this direction would be very highly appreciated.
In reply to Enrique Castro

by Tim Hunt -
Major new features like this only ever go into the next major Moodle version. So, hopefully this means we get these changes into Moodle 4.2, but that requires the code to be finished to a high enough standard before the deadline, or it will get delayed again.

There is zero chance of an official backport. Once the code is release, there is nothing to stop you doing your own backlog, but it would be a huge amount of work. It would be better to reconsider your policy of only using LTSs.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi, a question with some relation to the above "backporting" of lagging features from 4.2 to 4.1, like the question bank as an activity.

Now in 4.1 there is a way to control the visibility and order of the questions banks columns. But this is done through plugin disabling and admin settings. That is, at site level. The admin can setup question bank column order and those enabled, visible. For all banks in al courses in a moodle installation.

I do see as convenient to allow individual courses, even individual question banks (if multiple) to be able to visualize questions bank columns differently: in different order or some columns set to invisible for a while. And this available to teachers in each individual course or question bank, not at site level.

Are there plans to make such a customization possible once qbank be converted to an activity, and multiple qbanks coexisting in a course?
In reply to Enrique Castro

by Tim Hunt -
The flexibility that is being implemented is per-user. See MDL-74054. However, still work-in-progress.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Uwe Krüger -

Fortunately, since tags can be used in the question-bank to create stable setups of random questions, it would be good to be able to easily move from categories to tag-only question-banks. So far, every question has to be tagged manually. Unfortunately, with XML search replacements, the authors of the question are lost and replaced with that of the importer.

Suggestion: Complete tagging of all questions in a category in one go should be possible.

In reply to Uwe Krüger

by Tim Hunt -
Since Moodle 4.0, you can use question bank plugins to implement new bulk actions. So, someone could make a new 'tag all questions in this category' plugin. Anyone up for the challenge?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Here is a proof of concept Quesiton Bank bulk plugin
https://github.com/marcusgreen/moodle-question_bank_bulkedit
Wouldn't be too hard to do a tag related one. If someone can lend me the equipment to clone myself I set my clone off to create it.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Uwe Krüger -
Plugins are only the second-best option for implementing methods that provide fundamentally necessary functionality and are intended to make the same things work and look the same in Moodle. Lack of maintenance by the voluntary maintainer of cherished plugins then prevents necessary updates. Also, it's always special bells that can negatively impact the user experience if they have a direct impact on the user interface. Would be better than nothing in my view, but worse than an implementation in the depths of the objects from which all Moodle parts inherit.
In reply to Uwe Krüger

by Tim Hunt -
Acutally, with Moodle's plugin strucure, the code required to develop this feature as a plugin, is basically the same as the code that would be added to the standard Moodle release to add this feature.

The key think is for someone to write the code, it it is generally easier to just make the plugin stand-alone, without the contributing to Moodle core process.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Uwe Krüger

by Marcus Green -
"Plugins are only the second-best option for implementing methods that provide fundamentally necessary functionality"
What is an what is not fundamentally necessary for functionality is a matter of opinion. No significant Moodle site runs without plugins.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
The number of registered Moodle sites that currently have installed some quiz-related plugins clearly shows the usefullness of those plugins:

• Microsoft Word File Import/Export (Question Format) in 4196 sites.
  • Gapfill in 3990 sites
  • Atto cloze editor in 3553 sites
  • TinyMCE (legacy) cloze editor in 2630 sites

Adding (at least) those plugins to Moodle core would certainly benefit many Moodle quiz users that are currently restricted to using a standard Moodle server.

Plus, those plugins have already been developed and maintained for a long time. Their code should/might be easy to upgrade to core standards.
In reply to Germán Valero

by Marcus Green -

I suggest a human friendly editor for the Cloze question type is essential.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Uwe Krüger

by Antonia Bonaccorso -
The Moodle quiz has become a very powerful tool serving a huge amount of different scenarios reaching from students answering questions (and failing and getting specific feedback) for learning purposes up to high stakes summative assessment in very controlled scenarios (exams). To me it is evident that such a powerful and broadly usable tool can never contain all plugins specific groups of users feel are necessary. So I very much appreciate the possibility of adding well written and maintained plugins where I feel they serve our Universities purpose. And I also appreciate the fact that I do not have to deactivate a thousand add-ons I don't want for my University in every update to prevent the quiz from becoming a powerful but no longer well-understandable tool for an average professor wanting to create a quiz for his students. From my point, up to now, the balance between those two parts has been kept very well.
In reply to Antonia Bonaccorso

by Marcus Green -

I very much agree. I would love to do a bulk update of tags plugins (for example), but I have many, many other things on the go at the moment. Encouraging an increase in Moodle developers would help with this sort of thing, and Moodle HQ is helping by offering good  free courses for Moodle developers.